[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like I wasted my time reading this. The ridiculous nature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (10KB, 182x278px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 182x278px
I feel like I wasted my time reading this. The ridiculous nature of the situations presented in this book were humorous, but after reading the same smug irony over and over I felt that it was ultimately annoying. Am I missing something?
>>
>>9225777
A brain
>>
>>9225778
I get that it's satire but what is the point why waste time reading this
>>
>>9225784
Stop trying to find reasons to dislike the book and just relax you autist
>>
>>9225777
yeah I felt that way too when I read it.

>"oh wow look another scenario where everyone behaves absurdly wow so ironic"
>>
>>9225777

You're missing the fact that the irony is a device which obscures the stories and tragedy behind the characters. Situations which are treated with smug irony at the beginning of the book are later turned into moments of horror.
>>
>>9225818
This.

I might slightly maybe almost understand the criticism you folks are giving, but after the Eternal City chapter it turns the irony from silly little jokes into a horrifying reality. That's what you're supposed to take away from it I thought
>>
>>9225777
me after reading the first page of The Crying of Lot 49... what a waste of money.
>>
>>9225777

Is this a review of /lit/?
>>
>>9225907
In addition, the real commentary on the serious arguments made in absurd situations happens between chapters. When, in one chapter, a character argues for american exceptionalism and the next chapter he is dead or deranged you come away with a deeper picture.

Really, Catch-22 makes a lot of its depth easy to miss but that is one of its strengths, its understatement.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.