[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has life expectancy among philosophers not changed in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: deaths.jpg (89KB, 1202x742px) Image search: [Google]
deaths.jpg
89KB, 1202x742px
Why has life expectancy among philosophers not changed in the last 2000 years?

How did Plato live till 80 in a world with no medicine?
>>
>>9224943
>How did Plato live till 80 in a world with no medicine?
he was chill af
>>
>how did Plato live till 80 in a world with no medicine?
>who is Hippocrates
>>
Life expectancy in the past was only so low because of the amount of children who died. If you actually survived to be an adult and weren't a peasant doing backbreaking labor, you would likely live a long life.
>>
>>9224965
This is the reason. The so-called idea people in the medieval era or in Rome couldn't live past forty is a myth. The life expectancy is low because newborns had little chances to survive, but once they did, they could live a long life.
>>
>>9224965

or perhaps it is only those who lived long enough who were able to write for long enough to be remembered

there seems to be a survivorship bias
>>
>>9224957
This.

Read the Timaeus, which shows Plato himself was interested in the medicine, or at least the physiology as it was understood in his time.

>>9224965
Also this because Plato was an aristocrat.
>>
>>9224977

So you're telling me if I ate like an ancient Greek (I assume they fed on bread and vegetables) I can live till 80 without all these pills and surgeries and gym memberships?
>>
>>9224943
There is a fundamental misunderstanding about human lifespan throughout history.
During times of wealth lifespans were the same as they are today excluding child mortality.

Medicine keeps us healthy, it doesn't extend our lives.
>>
>>9224987
Greeks were into athletics, wine, olives, grains, and meat. Considering there were none of the additives of today, that sounds pretty healthy
>>
File: le_eyes_meme.jpg (8KB, 261x188px) Image search: [Google]
le_eyes_meme.jpg
8KB, 261x188px
>>9224965
I was going to point out that if it wasn't for modern medicine I would've died 20 years ago but that would count as child mortality
>>
>>9225012
oh boy. wrong image
>>
>>9224987
You most likely would. They were certainly less exposed than we are to pathogens and cancerous substances, and in a better condition. The “Mediterranean diet” is notoriously healthy, and these people ate in decent quantity, and additionally exerted a lot. They had to do it because citizenship was deeply tied with the ability to defend the city in the army. Surgery already existed, although limited and devoid of any anaesthetics. Considering the “pills”, I really don't think it makes you healthy. The United States, which is amongst the most medicalized countries in the world, doesn't appear in the top when it comes to life expectancy.
>>
>>9225010

How would modern wine different from ancient wine? Also there have been many studies lately showing that the whole "wine is good for cholesterol" argument is false, and that the good does not outweigh the bad.
>>
>>9225039
Greek wine was raw and free from additives, and had antisceptic properties. It was widely used in medicine along with cauterization to prevent infections.
>>
>>9225039
Fermented foods and drinks have benefits for gut bacteria. Modern alcohol is often pasteurized and filtered, which gets rid of helpful bacteria. Plus wine is made from fruit, so the antioxidants are still present
>>
>>9225012
>being under 40
You don't belong on /lit/.
>>
Most philosophers throughout history were very wealthy and their main occupation didn't often involve a lot of physical or aging inducing work. Greco-Roman philsophers heavily emphasized exercise. Plato, Aristotle, and Xenophon all advocate the necessity of it; many people got into stoicism and cynicism because they saw the practitioners of it being lean, having defined muscles, and rough and tanned skin--essentially looking very masculine. Even Diogenes being a beggar degenerate impressed people for people ripped and looking like a guy who could beat your ass.
>>9225039
They didn't have sugar or artificial sweeteners back then, but honey. They also only added water to wine after it was served in a mixing bowl prior to drinking, so most of it's consumption outside of deliberately get-shitfaced drunk parties were with it being very diluted with water with little additives to it, so essentially, they were drinking just a slightly alcoholic fruit punch.
>>
>>9224947
Because they hadn't invented chemtrails, aspartame, fluoride and Wi-Fi yet
>>
>>9224943
because only people with high socioeconomic status and relative comfort have time for stupid shit like philosophy
>>
Who is Gadamer. And why just cherrypick a few and leave out the estimated average of the time and geographical area, etc. This tells us very little.
>>
>>9225870
Those are literally the most famous in history
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.