[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does literature helps us empathize with other people? Let's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 1478309618726.jpg (37KB, 607x608px) Image search: [Google]
1478309618726.jpg
37KB, 607x608px
Does literature helps us empathize with other people? Let's say if a /pol/ack actually picks up some Achebe or Baldwin, would they drop their Grand Wizard gear?
>>
/pol/ just wants to gas all the people who commit crimes because they love this planet and their own people so much
They have high empathy
>>
>>9223976
this is what most libcucks and JIDF don't understand
>>
>>9223966
Speaking for myself, "Things Fall Apart" really hit me hard as a kid. I had only the simplest understanding of what the world was like beyond small town wisconsin, or what the world was like a couple hundred years earlier.

I think the act of reading something which presents another persons point of view is inherently a test of empathy. Can you relate to the authors perspective, or will you reject it?

I'd like to think literature can create empathy, but I don't know if there anyway to prove it. Did the empathy exist before the reading, just waiting to be opened? Or did the reading birth empathy that did not exist prior to the reading.
>>
Black people commit much more crimes on average than any other race. They also have the lowest average IQ.
>>
Not necessarily, it might accentuate it or make you understand something about yourself you didn't realize before.

If you don't "emphasize" with other people already, then it appears some bad sperm was injected into the petri dish on your part.
>>
>>9223993
this. someone post the infographs
>>
>>9223993
I'm from Chile, people are not even white here, but the colombian negroes who come here are so much violent than the regular Chilean low life
>>
>>9223993
class issue, not a race issue
>>
>>9224048
both
>>
>>9224048
wrong
>>
>>9224048
Poor people from other races arent as savage
I'm sorry if some black folk is reading this, some of them actually see how fucked up their race is and how the whole PC welfare bs makes it even worse
>>
>>9223976
kek
>>
>>9224285
What you keking at, son?
>>
>>9224403
s-sorry
>>
>>9224403
The god by that name himself, shadilay!
>>
>>9223966
I dunno, if some white collar Communist reads Tolstoy, will he stop sentencing innocent people to hard labour? Did Stalin reading the Brothers Karamazov several times (he did, look it up if you don't believe me) make him any less of a murderous bastard?

Being well read has zero effect on ethical competence. It *might* make you more empathetic, but being empathetic does not make you any less dangerous, it just means you'll be nicer to those you consider part of your in-group - and proportionately more vicious to those in the out-group.
>>
Yes, it has been scientifically shown that reading helps us empathise, presumably because by reading we are stepping into another's point of view.
That doesn't mean you'll suddenly change your entire political ideology just because you read a book by a black person, it's not magic.
>>
File: C5FFWxAWQAALSEf.jpg (70KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
C5FFWxAWQAALSEf.jpg
70KB, 600x300px
>>9224048
oops
>>
>>9223966
The more I learn about Africa the less I like people who live there, to be completely honest.
>>
>>9224048
appalachia poorest place in america, not near as much crime as nigger poor places
>>
Do pseudo-intellectuals here not understand they are an extremely insignificant, tiny minority of high-intelligence people whose moral codes and systems of thought cannot be processed by the 99% of the rest of Humanity and you're playing a losing game for yourself and your evolutionary, biological collective by presuming that your bourgeois globalism/internationalism and species-wide altruism can be followed by out-groups who are on average less intelligent than your own?

Get a grip, white people.
>>
>>9224763

I don't even think they're stupid necessarily. If I was an Arab migrant I wouldn't want to assimilate into European culture. They see it as decadent, immoral, materialistic, and it's clear that it's falling apart. Europeans aren't even having babies anymore, so why join them on the ride down?

I can't fault minorities for doing what's in their own best interest, although it is frustrating to see white liberals enabling them.
>>
Well, /pol/ doesn't basic argumentation and is extremely autistic so I doubt they'll get much from that book learnin'
>>
>>9224048
>not seeing the dialectical relationship

Take your vulgar Marxism elsewhere
>>
>>9224832
t.reddit
>>
>>9224548
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/novel-finding-reading-literary-fiction-improves-empathy/
Cool
>>
>>9224608
Why?
>>
>>9223976
peace through superior firepower amiright? semper fi, MAGA
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.