[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To all of you that don't have english as your native tongue.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1474034963265.png (12KB, 108x108px) Image search: [Google]
1474034963265.png
12KB, 108x108px
To all of you that don't have english as your native tongue. If you decide to read a book that was written in neither english or your native language, do you read an english translation or a translation in your own language?
>>
>>9223565
If it's german, I read the original text. (Multi-lingual)
Otherwise, my own native tongue mostly, but it depends on the quality and even availability of the translation.
>>
>>9223565
Depends what your native tongue is. If the original is in spanish and you speak french, i would go for the french version over the english one, since its more closely related. And if the book is in german i would go for the english version. But the funny thing about english is that it copied grammar and words from german and french, to a degree. And with that paradigm, reading english translations of those languages is quite alright.

My native tongue is slovenian, and our language is quite unique and grammatically more strenuous than german and we took a lot from them language wise. And thats probably the reason why we master languages easier than other nations
>>
Own language, but only because we have the luxury of good translators.
>>
>>9223600
And to get to the point of your question more, i read books mostly in english, since slovenian is limited in expression.
And for all other readers out there, native tongue isnt always better even if you have good translators. You should evaluate your native tongue if its capable of expressing the original text
>>
Own language

>>9223602
Which language is that
>>
My native would not have translations

So English
>>
English, it has a higher number of translations. Not to mention it's a simple language, easy to make translations for, so the version will probably be the closest to the original.
>>
>>9223565
Depends on availability and branch of language. Japanese is hardly translated into Dutch and sometimes it's even translated from the english translation.
German is usually fine to read in the original
Scandinavian languages preferably in Dutch
Most other things in English.
>>
A translation in my own language, of course.
What are some good books written in Spanish? Most books I've read are either in English or works of Russian literature translated to Spanish. I wish I hadn't read Don Quijote back in highschool.
>>
>>9223651
Pedro paramo
>>
>>9223651
2666 by Bolaño. Or any Bolaño really.

Also Hopscotch by Cortázar. And 100 Years of Solitude by García Márquez.
>>
>>9223651
Most of Borges' and Cortazar's short story collections.
Sabato's El Túnel
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.