[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this male equivalent of YA romance novels ? i still dont get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: 991449.jpg (132KB, 600x993px) Image search: [Google]
991449.jpg
132KB, 600x993px
is this male equivalent of YA romance novels ?
i still dont get how can it be so popular
>>
Reading the cover is getting me hard.
>>
No. It's the equivalent of thematic magazines. Like magazines on motorcycles, on a certain genre of music, on a given sports, etc...
>>
File: 2015-09-25_15_58_26.jpg (90KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-25_15_58_26.jpg
90KB, 900x506px
>>9222688
but its a books...
>>
>>9222675
>why is it so popular
Because they play, and enjoy, the game - and want more context behind it. If they like the game, they enjoy the world and it's "Grim-darkness"; they wan't more of it, so they read more on it. Also, /tg/ memes.

It isn't as popular as you think, there is just a high neckbeard concertration on 4chan. It isn't "normie" persay, but less well-read people don't read for the reasons we do; I remember liking Warhammer (fantasy), I still like the game, and I would read this shit because it appealed to my interest (sub-culture(Uses and Gratifications Theory)) as well as because I found it cool. The thing about the world also applied for me, I felt as if I was a scholar, it was a part of the hobby.

Go to /tg/ if you really want to know people read this pulp, but once turned away I could not go back.
>>
>>9222723

whats the reading level like for those, and where do you get started
>>
File: gw-horus-rising.jpg (159KB, 650x823px) Image search: [Google]
gw-horus-rising.jpg
159KB, 650x823px
>>9222770
just this one alone has 10000ratings on goodreads and theres like over 100 books
>>
>>9222807
>whats the reading level like
Low enough for an 11 year old, like most of the fanbase.
>>
>>9222810
That is just /tg/, and a high neck-beard concentration on the internet.
>>
File: 21281344.jpg (43KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
21281344.jpg
43KB, 310x475px
>>9222807
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenniferbosier/2013/04/03/getting-to-know-warhammer-40000-beginners-guide/

according to this article with this one
>>
>>9222675
I guess yes, it fits the same role of fullfilling teenage fantasies.
>>
>>9222838

How is Abnett's novels? I've been really enjoying his recent Aqua Man run.
>>
>>9222723

Am I the only one utterly exasperated by this image?

Why would you bother to read thousands of pages depictions of how some intergalactic space soldier got melted by a space alien ray gun when you could have the contents related to you by an equally banal movie or videogame in a fraction of the time? Even one of those "look how awesome the guys from 40k" meme infographics would suffice, anything but the wasted hours spent reading this shit.
>>
File: comm.jpg (58KB, 461x960px) Image search: [Google]
comm.jpg
58KB, 461x960px
In the modern world there is a genuine hatred for masculine warrior heroism and ideals of a fascist/nationalist (at least if it's white) persuasion. Warhammer is an avenue where white males can express their pent up, oppressed tribalism and primitive brain without being shouted at too loudly by their rulers.
>>
File: captain_future_1940win_v1_n1.jpg (182KB, 340x500px) Image search: [Google]
captain_future_1940win_v1_n1.jpg
182KB, 340x500px
>>9222675
They're the pulp fiction books of today. Churned-out stories of adventure for teens and easily entertained adults.

Trash, but harmless.
>>
>>9222675
Because Warhammer nerds are numerous and eat up anything related to the franchise, and the series appeals to manchildren in general
>>
>>9222810
It has high ratings because it's a part of the Horus Heresy which is the most popular story as well as the set up for 40k itself.

>>9222873
The books have more variation than just soldiers getting blasted, besides it has a lot of things lifted from fantasy and epics of the past making them more like YA books that normies carry around.
>>
File: AssassinsCreed4bks.jpg (432KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
AssassinsCreed4bks.jpg
432KB, 2000x2000px
I kinda want to read these things just out of morbid curiosity.
>>
>>9223715
That's the gayest shit I've read today. Drop your dolls and read some Celine or Junger you fucking neckbeard, if you are interested in something besides larping on the internet.
>>
>>9223778
Couldn't be much worse than the Da Vinci Code
>>
File: 1486820242894.jpg (67KB, 569x445px) Image search: [Google]
1486820242894.jpg
67KB, 569x445px
>>9223790
What if I PLAY with my dolls WHILE reading fascist literature?
>>
It's one of the few relatively popular things that hasn't been completely pozzed.
>>
>>9222675
extremely extensive universe with all kinds of genres and things you can pretty much not get anywhere else

and no it isn´t the male equivalent
it´s the nerds equivalent at best
>>
>>9222807
either you start with eisenhorn >>9222838

or the first 4 books of the horus heresy >>9222810
>>
>>9224149
>all kinds of genres
No, it's sci-fi action or horror. There's no range in the 40K universe.
>>
>>9222688
This.
And them digits, Khorne obviously approves.
>>
It's capeshit for power fantasy nerds.
>>
>>9223778

I read a Halo novel because I would be bored riding to work. Never again.

That said, the only Warhammer books I can recommend with zero shame are the Brunner books by C.L. Werner. They play out like a spaghetti western. I like Werner's style, so I also picked up the Witch Hunter books too. They're pulpy and they know it.
>>
>>9222810
This series bored the shit out of me. Space Marines in general are boring as hell and I've always resented the yuge amount of coverage they get in every aspect of 40K media.
>>
>>9222675
There is a lot of empty symbology and references to references which give the reader a sense accomplishment once they get to a certain point. They are mostly empty but sound cool and has a lot of interesting concepts with a touch of lovecraft combined with it's own brand of grimdark.

I've read more 40k/Horus heresy than I care to admit and it's fucking great in terms of entertainment but too much of it can rot your brain. I also love the use of unreliable narrators and myths within myths. The books give you a sense that you as a reader and privy to secrets that if any normal mortal would know they would be instantly killed or fall to chaos. There is a lot a of ironic tragedy and it's story telling feels like Greek mythology. Logar only wanting to know the truth, Magnus only wanting to warn his father, Horus only wanting what was best for mankind, Angron being one of the few people able to see the Emperor for the tyrant he was, Sanguinius' sense that he was inadequate when he was the perfect son. Man it's all goo great.

"All I wanted was the truth"

"Listen to your blue-clad wretches yelling of courage and honour, courage and honour, courage and honour. Do you even know the meaning of those words? Courage is fighting the kingdom which enslaves you, no matter that their armies outnumber yours by ten-thousand to one. You know nothing of courage. Honour is resisting a tyrant when all others suckle and grow fat on the hypocrisy he feeds them. You know nothing of honour."

Betrayer and everything Iron Warrors was great. I did play the video games but more than anything I love the story and how some stories contradict each other. I still think The Lion betrayed the emperor.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.