[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I read it a while ago. I didn't get it. It wasn't terrible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

I read it a while ago. I didn't get it. It wasn't terrible but methinks Camus is overrated.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>9222156

>read it a while ago
>I didn't get it
>therefore it's overrated

really activates my prefrontal cortex
>>
prove yourself right dickhead
>>
>>9222156
>I didn't get it
Read it again or stfu.
>>
>>9222156
It's not his best work. Read "The Fall", or even "The Plague", some short stories are good too. He was really only awarded the Nobel because Fartre, who was intended to get it that year, refused.
>>
>>9222156
The claim that something is overrated would imply that you assert you've judged its true value and found it to be lower to the one commonly assigned to it.
We could continue to argue that the such a statement would be groundless since there is no objective way to determine the "true" value of something and agree to disagree or try to come up with some sort of axioms about artistic value that we can both agree on and deduce the relative value of something from them.
Still all of this would be beside the point since you admit yourself that you are incapable of determining the value of the work in the first place which means you should be unable to tell if it is overrated or not even from subjective perspective.
>>
>>9222156
read beauvoir instead
>>
File: 1484460099435.jpg (43KB, 600x637px) Image search: [Google]
1484460099435.jpg
43KB, 600x637px
>autist doesn't realize he's completely autistic until it's too late
>finds enjoyment in the few remaining days of his life

and people put this as #2 on best books of all time
>>
>>9222269
camus got his nobel prize in 1957
sartre was supposed to get his in 1964 but refused

get fucked fake news
>>
>>9222277
I think a big reason for that is because it's short and uses simple language.

So for many plebs it's one of the few classics they've actually read, and that's why they say it's ''the best book I've ever read''.
>>
>>9222156
>Prove me wrong.
Rather than express any fulfilling message, The Stranger is about seeing the meaningless of life and choosing or not to act upon it. In reality you did get it, but you just didn't like it.
>>
>>9222278
Sorry, dude. I don't remember where I'd heard it from. I'm a pseud.
>>
>>9222278
It's well acknowledged in the anthropological society that Camus isn't a real person and was invented by Sartre as an ideal in his writing, and that you are actually referring to Sartre's works when talking about Camus. Who's ignorant again, light weight?
>>
>>9222285
Mersault didn't seem to find anything meaningful in his life to begin with. What's so special about his ''transformation'' near the end?

Camus was a chad philosopher.
>>
>>9222293
Finding meaning in living for the sake of living. That is one of the key aspects of existentialism.
>>
i just finished the first part, and really dont think im going to read the rest.

no shit he changes his attitude at the end, what else is going to happen.
>>
>>9222904
Kek you're retarded
And wrong.
>>
Reads like a Donald Trump tweet. Short sentences. Simple words. Sad!

The central idea? Unoriginal and feebly presented.
>>
>>9222285
Meursault is irrational and cold because he's supposed to be a depiction of the universe, doling out happiness with one hand and exacting misery with the other. He doesn't cry at the funeral because he sees no point to, he agrees to marriage because it doesn't matter to him, while it matters a great deal to Marie.

The Trial is society, trying to impress rational and logical thought to his actions, to which they can only fabricate or half guess correctly. That's supposed to symbolize society as it attempts to classify and understand the universe, god, and nature. It's a good book.
>>
>>9222904
I personally thought the first part was abominable; but really enjoyed it when it came together in the second half.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.