[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what pace do you guys typically read a book? http://www.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: beautiful.jpg (292KB, 1487x1500px) Image search: [Google]
beautiful.jpg
292KB, 1487x1500px
At what pace do you guys typically read a book?

http://www.myreadspeed.com/calculate/

I'm super slow, averaging around 180 wors per minute.
>>
I probably read slower than that though, my mind often wonders while reading, and sometimes I will re read certain passages if I like them enough.
>>
>>9222020
271, but I only read philosophy, so my pace is pretty slow. 10 minutes per page at least.
>>
275 but that's only because I was trying to read fast. Casually I would read like 200
Also there's nothing wrong with reading slow as long as you're reading a lot and absorbing the information
>>
385, but probably a bit higher on average. I usually need to read for about 5-10 minutes to fully 'engage' my attention
>>
i can read pretty fast but its sort of strenuous
i cant do it for more than 10 minutes at a time
>>
I got 602

but when I'm reading something that's more complex or that I really enjoy and want to savor, I'll slow it down
>>
>>

I prefer not to read quickly, though.
>>
>>
330, is there any way I could learn to read faster? Any books?
>>
Stop speed reading
>>
>>9222078
stop sounding out the words in your head

and then only look at only every other word, you'll still catch the neighboring words in your peripheral vision
>>
words per minute
>>
370, but english is my second languange if that matters. I read like I would read an article.
>>
>>9222086
I do that, still read slow tho
>>
>>9222080
Start subvocalizing, or even vocalizing sometimes.
>>
>>9222086
That's the way to read newspapers, not literature.

Even genre fiction deserves more care.
>>
>>9222020
>230
but I always felt I read pretty slowly
>>
>>9222086
Why do people want to read like that?
It seems like such a waste of words. You aren't reading the book to the full of it if you skip across pages only to still get the core message.
>>
>>9222948
People are plebs. They don't care for literature.
>>
>>
357. When I did a similar test a few years ago I got 200+.
>>
381 but I don't care for speed reading. I enjoy subvocalizing and paying attention to the punctuation and anyone who doesn't on their first read is trying way too hard
>>
>anything about 500
Stop skimming, faggots. Do you even like literature?
>>
>>9222020
Holy shit that website sucks donkey chode. Why are random spaces missing? Really fucks with my rhythm reading.
>>
224wpm.
>>
>>9222020

288 wpm.

Not that bad considering I'm drunk as balls.

>You could finish alice's advenrures i wonderland in six days

Am I retarded?
>>
>>9223466
In six days if you read 60 minutes/day.
>>
488 words per minute

not too shabby, though I should work on my retention rate. I notice that some of my friends can read swiftly but are quite poor at remembering the small details and what not that are blatantly obvious. I suppose like everything else this comes with practice. I'm a NEET and I imagine to read 2 books yesterday from front-to-back, and I feel like this is the most productive thing I've done all year
>>
231. I believe it's a good time since english is my second language and i only picked reading as an habit like a year ago
>>
452, but I find reading on a screen quite different to reading a book.
>>
>>9222087
Seriously? Are you able to recall the information that you read?
>>
305. Reading speed doesn't matter, comprehension matters. Anybody can learn to read quick by reducing the vocalization of words in their head, eye movement, and all that shit, but comprehension dips down significantly after ~400 wpm for most people (meaning the vast majority, including /lit/). Just read books at the pace you feel comfortable with and make sure you understand what you are reading, not just looking at paper with letters on it as fast as you can so you can tell people you read a book.
>>
>>9222889
This. I vocalize all poetry and everything I am able to read in German.
>>
>>9223202
Yeah, for a website that's specifically testing reading speed, you'd think they would actually go through and fix dumb shit like that.
>>
375. Of course I read Alice in Wonderland for the test so it was nothing to hard to read through. It really depends on what you're reading.
>>
i don't read nearly as often as i should or want to though
>>
>>9226240
195 here. Me too.
>>
>>9222020
I got a 490 but I imagine that was because I trying and it would realistically be lower. My biggest issue is taking for ever to actually start the next book after finishing one.
>>
>thinking reading fast is a good thing
>>
>>9226602
/thread

plebs everywhere
>>

It said I should be able to read Dracula in 7 days, but I read it in 4.
>>
>>9222897
Don't be a wimp. Dominate the literature, fuck it right in its tight quivering little pussy.
>>
>>9226977
>personal anecdote
>IF you spend 60mins/day, you can read x in y days
wew, nice reading comprehension lad
>>
>>9226996
>reading the same book for more than 60 minutes per day
lmao lmao lmao lmao
>>
What the fuck is this test? I can't read this shit, they have elided spaces all over the place.
>>
I managed 800 when "speedreading" but it's so annoying to do you might as well not bother.
>>
File: 1424991401624s.jpg (7KB, 240x232px) Image search: [Google]
1424991401624s.jpg
7KB, 240x232px
>>9226996
but I read dracula precisely 60 minutes a day, I have a routine of reading for a precise hour through a stopwatch
>>
>>9222080
>>9222948
>>9226602
But if I read carefully I won't be able to impress people with how much books I read!
>>
I have very strong reading technique and usually sit around 85% total comprehension, but if I'm very interested I can nearly memorize passages for a short duration after reading them.
>>
>>9227272

Yeah, I know. I got a 229 because I had to go back over the words so often. But I'm cultivating a new technique that I just tried. I got a 9504. The secret is to press record, and then scroll to the bottom of the page.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.