[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it though even though 98% of the atoms in our bodies are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 625659002.jpg (17KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
625659002.jpg
17KB, 400x350px
Why is it though even though 98% of the atoms in our bodies are constantly replaced year after year, our consciousness doesn't get replaced along with it?

Does this imply the soul exists?
>>
Continuity.

Replace 1 brick a day in your house and after 10 years it's still the same house. Your mind doesnt know when 1 atom of a chemical in your brain is replaced with another identical atom, because nothing else would be altered.
>>
>>9217046
>your personality and mental state are the same as 5 years ago

Cool premise bro
>>
>>9217056
That must mean that the house has a property that is not connected to any of its constituent parts
Anon, are you saying the house has a soul?
>>
>>9217066
No, what I'm saying and what I hope you're deliberately misconstruing is that chemical continuity in the brain means that atoms switching out has no perceivable effect on your conciousness, just like slowly replacing pieces of a house would FEEL like there is no change happening. Any other questions?
>>
>>9217066
It sounds like you're the one attributing properties to lifeless atoms though. I could take every carbon atom in you and replace it with a different carbon atom and you would function exactly the same.
>>
>trying to make sense of the material world
>>
>>9217046
how do you know our consciousness doesn't switch?
>>
idk consciousness is like data in a server. Once a hard drive dies, it get replaced by another one. And one bit of data is always on multiple hard drive at once.
>>
>>9217046
Consciousness relies on the interactions between atoms. If you replace one carbon atom with another carbon atom (of the same isotope), there is no reason to assume that it alters the chemical reactions in your brain and therefore your consciousness. However, the question if you have the same body after exchanging the atoms is different.
>>
File: i.php.jpg (38KB, 727x730px) Image search: [Google]
i.php.jpg
38KB, 727x730px
>>9217490
yeah and the universe is like a computer simulation lol
>>
>>9217066
It's about the structure, not its constituents.
>>
>>9217066
No, it means that the form of "your house" in one's mind does not change just because the materials that comprise it do. If the house replaced of all pieces still follows the general pattern close enough to "your house", then it will be recognized as such. To answer your question, the brain does constantly change, but its general pattern remains similar throughout one's lifetime; it is moreso that the conciousness processes introspection the same as it does when looking out.
>>
>>9217066
Form, nigga
>>
>>9217056
What if you build a house out of the bricks you remove in an identical design? Once the whole thing has been replaced which of the two houses is the original?
>>
>>9217502
>Consciousness relies on the interactions between atoms
That's a big assumption
>>
>thinking that one cell dividing into two creates one cell like the original and one completely blank slate
>>
>>9217046
this is a board for books you retarded faggot
>>
metaphysics was a mistake
>>
>>9218852
I'm reading elementary particles and this is relevant to my understanding of it. He talks about this kind of concept in relation to identical twins. Despite them having similar chemical composition, their personalities are distinct because of their unique memories and experiences. However they still share that peculiar, intangible twin bond in thinking
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.