[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to write a short story where perspective bounces around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1470288935276.jpg (237KB, 1000x683px) Image search: [Google]
1470288935276.jpg
237KB, 1000x683px
I want to write a short story where perspective bounces around between characters. How should I approach this?
>>
Just do it without explanation.
AKA the post-modern way.
>>
>>9214549
use different colored text for different characters, dummy
>>
>>9214549
Read Boquitas Pintadas by Manuel Puig or something by Vargas Llosa. I'm not saying "it's been done before try smth else lol" but these books may give you a hint
>>
Ted Chiang did this in some of his stories. The perspectives were made clear by just mentioning the character's name, but also each chunk of perspective was separated by a plot-related heading. See: Division by Zero
>>
>>9214549
Write the whole story from the perspective of each character. Then choose what to and not to include. It's what Faulkner did with The Sound and the Fury. It was intended to be a short story, but he could not choose which perspective to tell the story from, so he included all of them.
>>
>>9214549
>How should I approach this?

You're the one with idea. Mess around with what you think would work.
>>
>>9214711
Yeah if you have an idea you should be developing it. If you don't have what it takes to craft something in a specific fashion without asking others, then you're not gonna pull it off.
>>
first I'd like to thank everyone for their help

>>9214756
I just wanted to get some alternate ideas of how to approach this before I started writing
>>
Read Turtledove. His novels contain a lot of characters and each of them correlate in how the story commences and progresses. And most of the character stories are essentially little Short stories that progress on.
>>
>>9214596
>Boquitas Pintadas by Manuel Puig
Isn't that basically an epistolary novel with a heightened sense of sub-textual character development/psychology with brief intrusions from an objective omnipresent narrator acting like a camera moving through empty domestic rooms which recalls Robbe-Grillet's early nouveau romans? I don't think that's what OP is going for.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.