[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Rolling Stone: Have you ever read Ayn Rand? >President

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

>Rolling Stone: Have you ever read Ayn Rand?
>President Obama: Sure.
>Rolling Stone: What do you think Paul Ryan’s obsession with her work would mean if he were vice president?
>President Obama: Well, you’d have to ask Paul Ryan what that means to him. Ayn Rand is one of those things that a lot of us, when we were 17 or 18 and feeling misunderstood, we’d pick up. Then, as we get older, we realize that a world in which we’re only thinking about ourselves and not thinking about anybody else, in which we’re considering the entire project of developing ourselves as more important than our relationships to other people and making sure that everybody else has opportunity -– that that’s a pretty narrow vision. It’s not one that, I think, describes what’s best in America. Unfortunately, it does seem as if sometimes that vision of a ‘you’re on your own’ society has consumed a big chunk of the Republican Party.

Who's correct here?
>>
ur mom
>>
Ayn Rand is illegal
>>
>>9210666
Obama seems to be in the right
>>
>be the only female 'philosopher' of note
>universally hated and dismissed as perhaps the worst thinker of all time
hehe
>>
>>9210666
His argument against individualism is that it values the individual over the collective? Individualism is bad because individualism?
>>
Obama is because Rand's lit is fun to read only when you're a 17 year old edgelord
source: I was once a 17 year old edgelord
>>
>>9210787
I remember when you would get banned for mentioning her on /lit/
>>
>>9210796

Gee, it's almost like academia is filled with Marxists.
>>
>>9210881
>His argument against individualism is that it values the individual over the collective? Individualism is bad because individualism?
his argument is that it's a "narrow vision", politician-speak for "it's fucking retarded"
>>
>>9210881
Rand's ideas are bad for leaders, and that's also not the only controversial thing Rand thought.
She was an awful writer who tried to stretch a simple idea into an entire philosophy you can live by, and then managed to not be able to live by it in almost any way.

What a joke. If she wasn't a woman she wouldn't be read at all, certainly not in public schools like she is now. Her being a rare female philosopher gives her a pass, because people can point at her as a "smart female role model."

This praise only patronizes Women as a whole, and makes it easier for people to categorize women authors as worthless.
>>
>>9210881
as the other reply said, its a "narrow vision" because it only considers the individual as if in total isolation when in fact the individual is part of society and society is made up of individuals and must be considered equally because they are inseparable
>>
>>9210666
Obama obviously. As automation consumes more and more jobs, the Republicans are going to have to take a hard look at how anyone without capital is going to make a living.

It is the Democrats overreach into culture, social programming, education and disregard of reasonable taboos that pushes me away.
>>
They're both wrong. Ayn Rand gets held up as the libertarian philosopher, but she's not really representative of libertarianism. You're better off just reading Nozick, Rothbard, or Mises.

Obama's talking about Rand, but he'd say the same shit about any strong free market/libertarian ideals. And it's a distortion. Whether you think it's true or not, the main argument of libertarians is that you'd have greater opportunity in a free market (equal opportunity over equal outcomes).

It'd also be easier to take people like him seriously if welfare programs hadn't gutted black communities and heavy regulation hadn't raised barriers to entry in food and finance and consolidated power into the hands of a few megacorps.

You don't get points for telling people to love each other and having good intentions. Rand was a bitch and a shit writer, but her vision of society would still consequentially look better than Obama's.
>>
File: funnystupid.jpg (81KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
funnystupid.jpg
81KB, 400x300px
>>9210796
>be the only female 'philosopher' of note
>Ayn Rand
Pick one
>>
File: 1417059389417.png (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1417059389417.png
45KB, 400x400px
>>9212693
>le automation is a bad thing meme
>>
>>9210796
that's not anscombe or catherine of siena
>>
>>9212722
>if welfare programs hadn't gutted black communities
nice meme
>>
>>9212746
You need some Sowell in your life
>>
File: v4-North-Korea-at-night.jpg (80KB, 930x698px) Image search: [Google]
v4-North-Korea-at-night.jpg
80KB, 930x698px
Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh you didn't build that.
>>
>>9210666
God I hate Ayn Rand, she's such a dumb bitch.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (482KB, 2691x2019px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
482KB, 2691x2019px
>>9212731
>replacing service and retail workers with machines wont cost hundreds or thousands of jobs per town or city.

And we arent too far away from machines stocking shelves and providing customer service. Walmarts employee 225 mouth breathers per store. Replacing that with 25-50 management and trained technicians is a huge fucking labor disruption in just one sector. Its going to be the enclosure movement of our time.
>>
>>9212731
automation itself isn't a bad thing, but rapidly automating everything has the obvious issue of causing massive unemployment. until that gets resolved we should stop automating shit left and right.
>>
>>9212758
>Sowell
nice meme economist

welfare has been cut by both reagan and clinton and guess what, did it do anything? the problem is the "war" on drugs that send blacks to prison for bullshit but the rightwing economists' goal is destroying any kind of safety net so of course their reason for every problem is gonna be W-W-WELFARE!
>>
>>9212765
>>9212768
>rapid automation in places like mcdonald's

I mean, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with minimum wage laws around the world that put artificial prices on completely unskilled labor and make it cheaper to just get a computer than a high school dropout who should have gotten a real job by now
>>
>>9212799
Thats a poor argument. If one machine costs say, 25000 for a purchase, and 1200 per year for 5 years after that with upkeep, and it will work a 24 hour day, its still far more economical than a human, who could not survive on those terms.

And its not just mcdonalds either. What about a traditional hometown mainstay like a hardware store, which generally has an owner or parent company manager, and then several knowledgeable locals, usually retirees who provide technical advice, mix paints, make keys etc. These arent necessarily minimum wage jobs, but are easily replaceable.

Automation turned the US employment pool into net-service. If both service and production become automated, where do people work?
>>
>>9212629
>politician-speak for "it's fucking retarded"
No, politician-speak for "I don't like it".
>>
>>9210794
>>9210796
>>9212678
>>9212763
this
there's a reason Paul didn't let women speak in church
>>
>>9210666
>Man's well-being is not their goal.
This is what I don't like about Rand. She Always assumes the worst in her opponents.
>>
>>9212678
>What a joke. If she wasn't a woman she wouldn't be read at all, certainly not in public schools like she is now. Her being a rare female philosopher gives her a pass, because people can point at her as a "smart female role model."
If it was anyone else I might agree, but the kind of people who are trying to push le smart females meme are generally not likely to be fans of Rand.
>>
>>9210666
>Sure
yeah, nice b8 mr Obama
>>
>>9210911
What happened?
>>
>>9212799
Even with no minimum wage the price of labor would have to drop rapidly for workers to be competitive with machines. If someone is working for 50 cents an hour that's not much better than unemployment, and it's likely you've only delayed the eventual elimination of their job.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.