[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time /lit/ poster here. I think I'd like to get myself

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Cringe.jpg (23KB, 600x521px) Image search: [Google]
Cringe.jpg
23KB, 600x521px
First time /lit/ poster here. I think I'd like to get myself to read books. I didn't like it as a kid, I think because I had always seen it as something forced on me that I had to do and it was great if I could avoid it. Now I like to read long texts about random things online every day (as silly as it may sound) but my problem is that when I start reading a book or a story I lose track of what happened before or simply can't remember what I read. If for example after finishing a 20 pages book someone asked me to explain it a bit to him, I wouldn't know what to say. Am I unrecoverable?
>>
>>9210089
Take adderal and then read
>>
START

WITH

THE

GREEKS
>>
>>9210089
>I think because I had always seen it as something forced on me that I had to do

Now that I can choose what to read when and how much I want I really enjoy reading finally.
>>
>>9210089
No, you are not. You simply do not know how to read. It doesn't matter what happens in the story, what matters is that you find meaning in every single sentence, every word of it. Take your time. Read deep, not wide. Or whatever you Anglos say
>>
If it's something you enjoy then it's easier to read.

The question is are you willing to work for your dopamine hit? Literature is a gamble. Someone can literally disrespect you and tell you all sort of lies using literature. You may read something and never really enjoy it. I understand I prefer video games for a quicker hit of dopamine. But it really speaks to how powerful the mind is especially with fiction. Its like reading a script, you need actors and sets to make it real.
>>
>>9210157

Is this a meme or does it work>?
>>
I want to offer help to you, but I can't even offer help to myself. I know only infinitely little.
I'm sorry anon
>>
>>9210089
Take notes on what you're reading. It will train your brain to comprehend the material. Take those shitty SparkNotes type quizzes online after each chapter.

You should have paid attention in school, but there's still time for you.
>>
>>9210212
Of course it does
>>
>>9210089
pretty common tbqh, i was in the same situation. you're likely not engaged in the reading because, like you said, it's forced reading and you're just doing it as a chore.

start with short stories. I recommend Hemingway's short stories, Kafka's short stories, and Dubliners by James Joyce. Barnes & Nobles sells a B&N Classics version of Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (also by James Joyce, also amazing). Look up what prose is, and how to pay attention to it in your reading, see how the author designs his sentences and chooses certain words to create certain emotions, describe a character, story, theme, etc. And short stories are good for this because it is smaller, and you'll have an easier time understanding how it plays into the entire story as a whole simply because the story is physically smaller.
>>
>>9210089
Read more (IMPORTANT; the more you do something, the better at it you will become), and then like every five or ten pages or so, ask yourself about what you just read.
>>
>>9210089
Take everything I type here with a grain of salt because this is probably exactly wrong advice, but personally I never really remember what I read if I read 15 to 20 pages or so. The thing is, after I finish the book I'll walk away satisfied and with a general idea of what happened. While reading it I don't remember shit though. It's weird. So basically, just plow on through and try to have some fun with the act of reading, don't worry so much about how well you're retaining it. There won't be a quiz or anything. It's a hobby, not an assignment.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.