[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /lit/ like? Why or why not, and where to start? For some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: HarukiMurakami.png (210KB, 381x313px) Image search: [Google]
HarukiMurakami.png
210KB, 381x313px
Does /lit/ like? Why or why not, and where to start?

For some reason I am hesitant to dive in.
>>
>>9204852
Japanese john green. Ask yourself. Would you read a translation of John green.
Hahahahahaha didn't think so.
>>
>>9204860
This cannot be true.
>>
>>9204852
read backgrounds on his novels. find one that sounds interesting to you. read it. decide if you like it. read others if you want. they are quick reads despite length.
>>
the prose is boring as shit, but I think it's a jap translation thing because every Japanese novel I read is pure dog shit with its flaccid prose.
>>
>>9205650
you're a genius
>>
Didn't 9/11 mess up his thesis?
>>
>>9205650
god damn two jabs at asians in one sentence. youre too good anon
>>
>>9204852
/lit/ should like him, and this man will soon get his noble.
>>
>>9204852
I like him.

I started with Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

It has a unique (as far as I know) and interesting structure - which is well put together. Murakami plays with compelling imagery and metaphor, as well as conceptualizations of eternity, afterlife, reality, and other concepts in the work. All of this is done in a sort of Japanese-Dick-Tracy manner - which I liked.

If you don't start there, start with Kafka on the Shore, or maybe (for a weird, short "romance") South of the Border, West of the Sun.

I really liked the latter. It is very Japanese in it's themes - exploring themes like "Mono no Aware (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_no_aware (tragic beauty - tragic because of the nature of the transience of things)), compulsion or fixation, and private v. public self.

Whatever you do, DO NOT, read Norwegian Wood - it is easily the worst of his novels I've read. After Dark was okay. After the Quake, a collection of Murakami's short stories, is great - or, at least, some of the stories are great. Overall, I would recommend it.
>>
>>9206531
It's literally the opposite. They're saying Japs are mistranslated so it's not their fault they read badly. Almost anti-white.
>>
>>9206669
I doubt that Japanese ya fiction is very popular in the Swedish Academy. The youngest member at the moment is 44 years old.
>>
>>9207459
i mean the mention of dogs and flaccid (small) penises
>>
>>9207426
Kafka on the sure is literally Norwegian Wood with pseudo-intellectual bullshit forced down your throat.
His biggest strength is his introspective and thoughtful protagonists, which is at its strongest in Norwegian wood.
>>
Why does /lit/ talk about Murakami all the time?

Dazai is so much better its not even funny

Even Japan does not respect Murakami very much
>>
>>9208456
>can't into artistic analysis: The Post
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.