[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think reading could help a person with persistent negative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: depressionblog.jpg (38KB, 800x383px) Image search: [Google]
depressionblog.jpg
38KB, 800x383px
Do you think reading could help a person with persistent negative thoughts to quiet down the mental chatter?

General thoughts on reading for depression welcome.
>>
I twould probably be more helpful to see a psychiatrist, OP.
>>
>>9201554
No fuck that, psychiatry is for the weak and the useless.
What cured my depression single-handedly was reading collections of essays from countless writers to feel a sense of companionship and it eventually blossomed into me changing my perspective on just about everything. The first step is knowing that you truly are not alone.
>>
If a depressed person starts reading they will most definitely kill themselves.
>>
>>9201564
If you weren't weak and useless then you wouldn't be depressed in the first place LOL
>>
>>9201564
>No fuck that, psychiatry is for the weak and the useless.
wut
>>9201564
>What cured my depression single-handedly was reading collections of essays
probably not depressed in the first place, even more indicative with that idiotic comment on being alone.
>>
>>9201564
What were some of the most helpfull ones?
>>
>>9201568
Ah, dyslexia.
>>
>>9201573
The most helpful ones are the ones you start with, the ones that are in tune with your personal opinions and content, ones that you're familiar with and unfamiliar with but are aware of, then you read shit that's the opposite of that.
>>
>>9201576
pls
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 460x276px
>>9201550
If anything reading will intensify my mental chatter, since I'll think about what I've reas for hours, if not days.

Getting good at playing piano helped me immensely. In your first months/years you will suck, and to drown that sorrow my advice is to read poetry. Once you'll get good at it you will have something to do when existential boredom is crippling you (practicing, mostly), and in those good days in wich you can feel something (even if it's desperation or sadness) you have a tool to channel those feelings and make use of them.

Any artistic medium (from drawing to playing piano, from painting to writing poetry) will help you with that (in fact it's one of the most common advices therapists will give you).

Always keep in mind that no matter what you're doing the first months will be tough, but as soon as you'll get good at it nothing will be able to stop you.
>>
>>9201568
Plenty of successful people suffer from depression, you dick. Ever heard of Jim Carrey? He's bipolar and funnier than you'll ever be.
>>
>>9201550
Yes, definitely. In fact, any distraction will help.

Get into the habit of distracting yourself from depression, and one day you'll realise it isn't there anymore.
>>
>>9201591
Put some zyklon b in your coffee you fucking faggot
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.