[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is literature in general so depressing? I'm noticing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 51a.jpg (52KB, 600x902px) Image search: [Google]
51a.jpg
52KB, 600x902px
Why is literature in general so depressing? I'm noticing that "great" literature always has a sad ending. Why the fuck?
>>
You know.. comedies exist
>>
File: IMG_1352.jpg (118KB, 609x802px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1352.jpg
118KB, 609x802px
>>9201487
Much like life...
>>
>>9201504
Yeah, shame how life always ends on a sad note.
>>
>>9201487
cheap tool to have the content stay in your brain longer
>>
>>9201513
lol
>>
>>9201512
"What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears."
>>
This makes me wonder.
What's a good classic that has a nice satisfying ending?
>>
>>9201725
The Divine Comedy, any of Shakespeare's comedies
>>
>>9201504
You kidding? That image brings me nothing but joy
>>
>>9201725
Ulysses
>>
>>9201748
very good choice
>>
>>9201487
I'm not sure why this is. Same with movies that win prestigious film festival prizes and Oscars. It's always bleak depressing ones.
>>
I've never understood Americans and their happy endings. Nothing is as unsatisfying as the last note reading "and after all those shenanigans they were happy for the rest of their lives, i guess"

An ending needs to have a point. Happy endings are all alike. They're insignificant. They're the generic placeholder. They aren't even happy by definition, they're neutral at best.

This doesn't happen with sad endings because no one writes a sad ending just to have one, just because they feel the readers might like that. There's always a reason behind making an ending bittersweet or tragedic.

What is a happy ending to begin with? Such thing doesn't exist outside shitty fiction. I'd say most first worlders are generally happy throughout lives despite the circumstances and the occasional bad stuff. Is that a happy ending? The average life of the Average Joe? Or does a happy ending mean they're REALLY joyful ever after, getting everything they want in the end and even surviving the conflict of the story unscathed, uncaring? Would you really call that happy? Would you like that?
>>
>>9201487
Coz if you want to write something true, you need to end it with absolute truth.
And the only absolute truth is death.
And that's why comedy is a pleb's genre. And tragedy is for elitists.
>>
>>9201487
there is something to be said for tragedy

all eventually gets subsumed into beauty

but tragedy is like the nuclear reactive cores that power the glory of the beautiful
>>
>>9201714
Iliad. I was so relieved when they finally gave a proper funeral to Hector, breaker of horses.
>>
>>9201725
In Les Miserables everyone dies and suffers in the bulk of the book, but at the ending the two lovers marry and ValJean goes to heaven.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.