[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT Give a writer currently working on their first book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: imgres.jpg (12KB, 186x271px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
12KB, 186x271px
ITT Give a writer currently working on their first book some legitimate advice.
>>
Don't give up. Don't pander. And most importantly: don't give up
>>
>>9201458
Thank you. That was actually really nice.
>>
>>9201455
Have some one read the stuff you are writing, they are always better judges than yourself
>>
read john truby anatomy of story
and writing the breakout novel by donald maass
>>
Brevity is the soul of wit
>>
>>9201455
write two before revising one
>>
Do not be afraid of repeating words. People get it into their heads that this is the ultimate sin and it makes them write some really dumb shit. Like using a character's occupation or physical appearance or personality trait as an identifier just because you used his name in the previous sentence. There is nothing wrong with using his name again.
>>
>currently working on their first book

You're not a writer m8
>>
>>9202527

I'll out do you, m80!

>Brevity is ... wit!
>>
Make sure to re read what you wrote. Some of it might seem hack or cringe but stay committed to the story you want. Plus its your first novel dont worry to much
>>
>>9202625
Despite myself, I chuckled.
>>
Have someone that's not your mom and that's fairly intelligent read what you wrote and tell you if they found it interesting
You'll have to convince someone to take time out of their day to sit down and read what you wrote, that's not a given, never forget that
>>
Send a query letter to an agent right now. Make sure the gent you select has sold work similar to yours before.

In the letter, pretend the book is finished. The deception won't matter. Note the timing and form of the rejection. Fast and form rejection? Internalize that. You've been told by a pro that you are not even in the ballpark. Slow form rejection? Same. They just didn't hold in sufficient contempt to blank you immediately.

Fast rejection with feedback? You're in the park, but you are still a spectator. Take the feedback and use it.

Slow rejection with feedback? Same. Maybe they want to like you but can't sell you.

If they ask for pages? Send the first how ever many they ask for. Keep working on the rest.

No, that won't happen. This process is so slow you will have plenty of time. You'll have months. And you'll be rejected anyway.

This is how we learn in months what otherwise takes years: in the battle of "art" versus commerce, art always brings a sharp stick to a nuke fight.
>>
>>9201455
the first book you publish is probably going to be pretty bad by your standards because when you're working to make a thing happen in the context of $$$$ you’ll have to work around a ton of stupid bullshit that will probably water down a good deal of what you want to actually make. knowing how to work around that and make it work for you is its own skill set so i guess what i’m trying to say is don’t get too attached to that thing you’ve probably spent months if not years making
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.