[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quentin's section is one of the greatest artistic achievements

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: sf84.jpg (24KB, 303x450px) Image search: [Google]
sf84.jpg
24KB, 303x450px
Quentin's section is one of the greatest artistic achievements in the history of the English language, comparable to "Ode to a Grecian Urn" and Paradise Lost.
>>
>>9201349
I'm glad you recognize that.
It really feels as though Quentin's actions exude significance and his thoughts were recorded as thoughts genuinely flow. Everything about that chapter feels imbued with some profundity that went right over my head. It oscillated between some of the comfiest narrative ever written and inaccessibly challenging psychological babble, it was almost dizzying. I need to reread that book.
Benjy's chapter was also great.
>>
>>9201380
Thanks for the commiseration.

You're right about the nature of the narrative style mimicking thought. Faulkner seems to have been genuinely trying to capture an internal monologue.

I also think it stands as an achievement of poetics, hence my comparing it to poems. Faulkner is intimately familiar with the way the English language works. He understands how words and syllables fit together in a way that achieves harmony--and, for that matter, he's aware of just what sonic harmony is in composed literature. Consider how the long sentences in Quentin's part, some of them so long that one sentence takes an entire page, are nonetheless perfectly readable and understandable, despite the total lack of commas and semicolons. Faulkner lets the words themselves, and the way he's arranged them, instruct us on where to pause, and into what clauses the sentence is divided. We instinctively know the 'shape' of the clauses in the sentence, because we know, sonically, when certain sounds demarcate the end of a thought, or at least when they traditionally have in the long history of English.
>>
>>9201349
Corn cobby tale, means absolutely nothing to me. Hurr durr Uh cud see dem hittin'.
>>
>>9201466
That's not the part OP is talking about though.
>>
>>9201349
Baby, baby, baby, Oh
>>
>>9201460
Yes. Now that you've pointed it out, that was what seemed so 'odd' about that chapter when I read it
>>
>>9201466
>gave up on the first page
>>
>>9201349
Keats and Milton are objectively overrated trash.

Absalom, Absalom is Faulkner at his best.

Sage!
>>
>Burgers
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.