[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily reminder that reading translations and not studying languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: evolution.png (247KB, 427x273px)
evolution.png
247KB, 427x273px
Daily reminder that reading translations and not studying languages is for plebs. How's your Latin, Greek and Hebrew lit?
>>
>>9199550
>He called Greek a single language without specification
>He doesn't know any form of Greek
Pleb.
>>
>>9200829
Don't bump shit threads you dumbass.
>>
>>9200829
Attic/Koine Greek are far more similar than most people think.

They are even very similar to modern Greek aside from a few pronunciation changes and dropped verb forms. It's not anything like comparing Italian to Medieval Latin even.
>>
>>9200835
>Bumps shit thread
Really makes you think.

>>9200842
>Attic and Koine are the only forms of Greek
Homeric is not very much like either Attic or Koine.
>>
>>9200849
You'd have to probably learn Attic Greek before you learn any other form first, and then learn the differences. It's not like there's materials out there to jump straight into Theban or Masillian Greek or Mosollion Greek.

So to learn anything like that you'd still have to learn one of the three forms of Greek which are all very similar to each other.
>>
>>9199550
englishmans can, cause their unique affliction, read translated works by lats or germs

keep the untranslated side by side like most good editions do, and if anything looks TOO different do a little monkeying, but 90% of it is seeing welt or monde next world
>>
>>9199550
>jack of all trades
>master of none
>>
>>9199550
I'm fluent in Russian , Hebrew, French, jackpot.
>>
>>9202096
Still better than the master of one
>>
>>9202141
Not if you want to appreciate literature it isn't.

Imagine trying to read any ambitious prose work (such as Ulysses), or any poetry worthy of the name, in a second language. You'd never get beyond a high-schooler's grasp of it.
>>
>>9199550
I like the modern world and modern literature, therefore I only care about english
>>
>>9202191
>monolingual anglo discusses languages
Please just stop, pleb.
>>
>>9202243
>multilingual dabbler discusses literature
You couldn't embarrass yourself more if you pissed yourself.
>>
What is it like to learn a language from a book? I would like to learn German so as to read Weimar poets and philosophers in the original language.
>>
>>9199550
English, Spanish and German I can read Latin. Only relevant languages
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.