[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone familiar with Something Happened here? I finally decided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: something-happened.jpg (39KB, 326x500px) Image search: [Google]
something-happened.jpg
39KB, 326x500px
Anyone familiar with Something Happened here? I finally decided to read it and it has to be one of the most bleak and miserable novels I've ever encountered. It's so single-minded in its barrage of anxiety, paranoia, and hatefulness that it becomes borderline exhausting and you end up having to laugh at some of this absolutely horrific shit because there's nothing else you can do.
>>
I have a copy of it laying around, I found it at a thrift store for like fifty cents. Haven't read it yet.
>>
>>9199523
Yeah, it's like all of the bleak bits from the second half of Catch 22, without the comedy to balance it.

The ending was pretty crazy. Something happened indeed.
>>
>>9199523
I read the first few pages of it on the Amazon preview thingy and it made me laugh. Would you recommend it to someone who loved Catch-22?
>>
>>9199523
It's a great book. Catch 22 is one of my all-time favorites, but this is something else entirely.

I also have a strong feeling that I'll get more out of this novel when I re-read it at later stages of my life. Read it for the first time at 18-19 yrs, perhaps I'll go through it again when I'm near my thirties.
>>
>>9199560
It's pretty different from Catch-22. The whole thing is essentially a monologue and it's lacking the more obvious scenes of comedy. I don't think it's entirely devoid of humor, though, and I could understand someone finding a good bit of it funny the same way people find Journey to the End of the Night funny. Like the anon above you said, take the bleak tones of the most horrific parts of Catch-22 and make a whole novel out of them.

>>9199562
>I also have a strong feeling that I'll get more out of this novel when I re-read it at later stages of my life.

I was thinking the same thing even while reading it. I just hope that I remain unable to heavily identify with someone like Bob Slocum.
>>
I'm around page 400 right now. It is not a fun or particularly exciting read, but it's also fascinating from a "self improvement" stand point. So much today is how to be a better or more relaxed and adjusted person and this book essentially brings the Id to the forefront of everything the protagonist interacts with. It's almost refreshing to see someone just think in such an aggressively "negative" way by today's standards.
>>
>lived a successful life in terms of his career and family (relatively speaking)
>spends 20 % of his time regretting not fucking prime workplace pussy

What lesson can be drawn from this?
>>
>>9199523
I have read it and it's one of my favorite books, usually I'm the guy mentioning it on here but few people have read it.

It's depressing, it brings out all of the dark thoughts one may have and I appreciated it for that kind of sincerity. But it's also supposed to make you laugh I think.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.