[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>reading Hamlet for first time >get to the line where he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2117.jpg (217KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2117.jpg
217KB, 660x440px
>reading Hamlet for first time
>get to the line where he says "infinite jest"

Was he referencing DFW, guys?
>>
>>9197988
Nah it was the other way around actually, nice spot though
>>
Actually they were both referencing the concept of jest, a lot of it
>>
>>9197988
bump.
>>
>>9199844
('cause he's pretty)
>>
File: image.jpg (160KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160KB, 640x1136px
>>9197988
Do you ever wonder why hamlet never questions if the ghost is real or not?
>>
>>9197988

First words of Hamlet:
"Whose there?"

First words of IJ:
"I am here..."
>>
>>9197994
Shut up cracker
>>
Nabokov references Wallace too in Lolita (but with a twist!) when he says "infinite melancholy." Sorta just goes to show how influential the man was and remains.
>>
File: whynot.png (386KB, 667x670px) Image search: [Google]
whynot.png
386KB, 667x670px
>>9199855
>56 hours
>>
>"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
shakespeare is such a fucking hack
nigga a bamboon with hacksaw can write better
>>
>>9200204
holy shit
>>
>>9197994
Are you retarded?
>>
DFW is simply a better writer than Shakespeare and says more. His voice shakes platitudes. Shakespeare should be glad DFW was generous enough to take a quote of his to title IJ with.
>>
File: ij.png (146KB, 1168x490px) Image search: [Google]
ij.png
146KB, 1168x490px
>>9200204
>>9200904
nice try
>>
>>9197988
Shakespeare was, historically speaking, the first postmodernist.
>>
>>9201964
No, DFW was
>>
>>9201959
Honestly I think the connection between the last line of hamlet and the first line of IJ is far fetched. I prefer to interpret it as Hal's way of narrating while he's unable to speak properly and is stuck inside of himself, which is why later he says I am in here.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.