[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There's something that is bothering me. I want to be a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (123KB, 1533x961px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
123KB, 1533x961px
There's something that is bothering me.

I want to be a genre writer, because I want to write plot driven stories and mostly tell entertaining stories.

So, I started to read some sci fi books, and there's something that bothers me.

The quality of the prose is pretty terrible, even in the cases of the genius of sci fi, dune, forever war and starship troopers seems to have average prose.

Should I simply watch the movie adaptations?
I don't think I'm going to miss much about the book details, after all, they're usually minor details that don't matter.

So, following this logic, It seems logical the only prose worth my time is actually the literary fiction writers.

Or am I putting in broad strokes genre fiction?
Will I miss too much if I simply watch the movie adaptation rather than reading the book?
>>
You have to pander to your audience. Scifi crowd doesn't give a shit about prose really.
>>
>>9194477
Except, that is, insofar as it gives them the opportunity to hold up a book that's marginally better written than most and scream "SEE! SCI-FI IS REEEAAAL LITERATUREEEE"

see: fantasy readers with patrick rothfuss
>>
If you want to write entertaining SF, read lots of SF authors. There are lots of ways in which prose can be "good". You don't want to read things that do subtle, interesting or beautiful things with the prose, because SF audiences won't appreciate that.
Watching the films will acquaint you with the tropes and settings and ideas and all that, but you need to learn how to write clear prose that communicates them. Different authors have different levels of clarity of writing. Read them so you can learn how to do that as best you can.
>>
>>9194489
>being this assblasted over other people's tastes and opinions
Seek help, my man.
>>
What is the difference between genre fiction and literary fiction?
>>
>>9194502
You don't want to read things that do subtle, interesting or beautiful things with the prose, because SF audiences won't appreciate that.

He should strive to change that in my opinion.
>>
>>9194467
Just stop, the world doesn't need any more derivative genre fiction.
>>
>>9194508
Genre fiction: commercial pap written to make money

Literary fiction: mainly written for artistic purposes
>>
>>9194508
Genre fiction : Escapism from reality
Literary fiction : Makes you think about reality, illustrate something from it.

That's the main difference, of course the latter is better written, have deeper characters, etc.
>>
>>9194489
Rothfuss is worse than most, though. Better than most would be Wolfe or Beagle or someone.
>>
>>9194508
Genre fiction is something that contains nothing but cliché genre elements and traits. In a broader meme context genre fiction is absolutely everything that anon doesn't like.
>>
>>9194528
by 'better' i meant 'tries harder' in comparison to the average dreck eg sanderson, grrm

poorly expressed, i'll grant you
>>
>>9194526

what's wrong with escapism?
>>
>>9194526
So is a really good sci fi novel a form of literary fiction ?
Is a bad novel about "life" genre fiction ?
>>
>>9194467
yeah that's scifi in a nutshell, man. people who are good at writing usually understand what they want from their medium and then add what they feel would be improvements to that thing. like for instance you have stephen king who wanted an american answer to the lord of the rings.

plus scifi generally prioritizes worldbuilding and ideas over plot

i think you're heading in the right direction. you understand that to get good at a thing you have to inhale your chosen medium but you either need to build on what you dislike or find another genre to focus on
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.