[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you recommend me some pretentious and avant grande literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (12KB, 78x125px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 78x125px
Could you recommend me some pretentious and avant grande literature?

I love exotic allusions and really rare words being used. The more incoherent the better
>>
>>9192994
The pictured is actually a helpful book if youre just setting out to study the German Philosophy and Lit Crit of that time period, and very clever. Like Walden and Shelley's poetry it becomes clearer the older you get. ..Had to read it for a Vic Lit class when I was 19 and found it entirely incomprehensible, however. But have read it twice since then, and, no problem. His French Revolution is wonderful.
>>
Zettels Traum by Arno Schmidt
>>
In Partial Disgrace by Charles Newman
>>
File: 595959.jpg (67KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
595959.jpg
67KB, 709x765px
>78x125
>>
Edmund Spenser's Faerie Queene might be exactly what you're looking for, anon
>>
>>9194745
Good choice. I was also going to mention the Anatomy of Melancholy, but I'm sure OP's already aware of it.
>>
>>9192994
Carlyle isn't pretentious, but I think I know what you're looking for

Anthony Burgess (M/F)
Samuel Butler (Erewhon)

Lewis Carroll is probably worth a revisit too.
>>
>>9192994
Why, Death's Jest Book, of course. And Sir Thomas Browne's works, esp. the Pseudodoxia. Others come to mind, but these two require quite a bit of patience.
>>
>>9192994
just here to namedrop the inevitable finnegan's wake
>>
>>9192994
Another comes to mind-- perhaps THE book: Doughty's Arabia Deserta. Dover Books used to publish it unabridged in a cheapo edition, 2 vos.
>>
>>9194903
Nevertheless, this may be the purloined letter of the bunch.
>>
>>9194916
This is perfect
>>
>>9194903
lol at your name
>>
the emphasis has been on P at the expense of the AVG. Therefore, bamp:
>>
>>9192994
Annals of the Former World, if you want to combine a plethora of geologic buzzwords with a rather useful, if controvetsial, history of the topography of the U.S. He isn't avg, but used to be. He's also (last I heard) alive.
>>
>>9197133
John McPhee, i.e.
>>
File: cyclolargecover.jpg (236KB, 400x612px) Image search: [Google]
cyclolargecover.jpg
236KB, 400x612px
>>
>>9197133
how much of a chore is it?
>>
>>9200675
I really liked it. The excess terminology annoyed me at first, but I looked a few things up, and it all went pretty smoothly. It's a combining of his four geology-specific books, each of which can be read seperately in individual volumes, plus about a 40 page epilogue that rounds things out. One does gain a great sense of the topography of the U.S., which is why I read it. Made me want to travel, and see for myself.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.