[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been an avid reader ever since i was a child and i've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

I've been an avid reader ever since i was a child and i've eaten through countless books of many genres and i've started to notice a pattern

Why are male characters so much better written?
Often female ones will have a lot more backstory and introspection, yet they always seem detatched from the reader

Even something as simple as "my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die" gives me a better start than 2 whole chapters on how Melissa ponders while sipping tea

IMO it's because authors (of any gender/genre) seem to be more comfortable in showing their male characters suffering and changing, while women seem to have devolved into wish fulfillment Mary Sues
>>
Because you are a FUCKING WHITE MALE and you resonate better with male characters.
Whoopsie fucking doo.
Or maybe you are just a self instering autist.
I have no problem with female characters
>>
>>9187206
>my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die

my nigger

anyways, i do think that that's because it's mostly male readers that do serious fiction. and they often lack the ability to grasp women. so they also can't portray them in a good way. they usually stay manic pixie dream girls with ko personality. or their personality is based on something like how they look, qhat they do and how they act and not about intrinsic motivators. as in your example: it instantly makes you relate to inigo because you feel like you'd want to find the fucker who killed your father tol and get revenge. you feel a bond there. you feel that he has a drive, a purpose and a goal and that e won't stray from it till he has accomplished what he has set his mind to. i'm yet to see a female character develope such mental endurance.
>>
>>9187216
I'm neither of those things, i'm just tired of reading stuff where every woman is either McBadass OC or a vapid cunt
>>
>>9187221
What i wanted to say is that his backstory is literally phrase, his action speak
>>
Because women are just uninteresting. Even in real life. To make an interesting woman would be to create a man then replace him with a female. But that would be dishonest.
>>
Books by men for men, how curious.
>>
>>9187504
Not at all
Female written books are the worst offenders
>>
>>9187571
We're talking about characters not books
>>
>>9187573
Yeah, characters typically reside in books, films or other narrative media, don't they?
>>
>>9187571
Would you like to offer an example.
>>
>>9187584
I'm not english, so i don't know many titles' translations, but a recent one that comes to mind is fifthy shades of gray
>>
>>9187606
Gray is trash in general. The heroine from Bell Jar is an interesting character for example, not likeable but well written and relatable at least to me.
>>
>>9187498
Literally this.

Any good female character I've witnessed is just a female body with male character traits, no fucking lie.
>>
>>9187498
>To make an interesting woman would be to create a man then replace him with a female. But that would be dishonest.

That's what most "strong female characters" are really.
>>
>>9187654
This.

Women are uninteresting, as one other anon commented. There's nothing going for them if you just provide a female character with a female body and mindset/behavioral traits. Do a gender switch and suddenly you have a likeable/decent female character.
>>
>>9187216
Im a korean girl and i like male characters more, because the authors are often not afraid of showing suffering while a female caracter often has rape as the most suffering she ever had. I feel like in many female characters there is no real depth or sense of tragedy.
>>
>>9187654
>>9187653
Iunno, what i've seen is that (especially in fantasy) a male character HAS the mcguffin, a female IS the mcguffin

>>9187663
^this
I feel the same way too
It seems to me that modern literature likes to portray women as the sensitive, moral and righteous member of the group

In another way, it's as if they're trying to suck you into the narrative by pandering, instead of being interesting individuals
>>
>>9187677
>In another way, it's as if they're trying to suck you into the narrative by pandering, instead of being interesting individuals
You need to stop reading YA novels then bro.
>>
>>9187206
>Why are male characters so much better written?
Maybe you're reading shit writers? Steinbeck's characters are pretty solid across the board. Some of Huxley's females, and Orwell's are better written than their male MC. Change or suffering doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.