[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For the past 2 years or so I've been in an on and off existential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 28

File: galaxy.jpg (66KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
galaxy.jpg
66KB, 480x480px
For the past 2 years or so I've been in an on and off existential crisis. Nothing seems to have any value and all people seem to be deeply flawed, superficial garbage. I've tried to stave it off by rejecting morality and focusing on the simple pleasures of life, laughing at the ugliness I see around me, but I'm starting to realize that doesn't solve anything for me as the dread always returns.
Is there any book or philosophy that can help me, or do I just need to work on general self-improvement, starting with the little things? Or maybe both?
>>
>>9185136
Meditations by Marcus Aurelies
Religion (catholicism or Islam)

Basically living a holy and just life in spite of the general mediocrity.
>>
>>
go into a forest and get high off some fucking shrooms
>>
File: jessy2-online.jpg (401KB, 490x770px) Image search: [Google]
jessy2-online.jpg
401KB, 490x770px
>>9185174
Do 4-aco-dmt instead
>>9185169
This, start with Either/Or
>>
>I've tried to stave it off by rejecting morality

You've been going about it all wrong. Being moral and inspiring others is a joy, if adhering to morality makes you bitter it is first and foremost because of self-perceived guilt, not because of others.
Better yourself, anon.
>>
I'm 23 now and have been experiencing the same thing as you since I was 19 and my dad died of cancer. These thoughts have just been fueled by all three of the girlfriends I've had cheating on me and being screwed over by friends and family.

I have invested myself entirely into self-betterment and it's the only thing that helps--and mostly through escapism. I study 8-12 hours a day (philo, math, chem, physics). I don't care about other people, women, or vain pleasures at all anymore. When I graduate uni in a year I plan on teaching part time and living a monkish lifestyle and probably killing myself by I'm 40.

Let me know if you find anything that actually makes a positive difference. I've tried the Bible, Plato, Aurelius, Seneca, Descartes, Aquinas, et cetera, and while I feel slightly better while reading I can't manage to carry it over into my life.
>>
>Take up religion
Fuck off.

OP, you can red a variety of things, but only you can drink it in. Life is meaningless, and you don't sound like you've accepted it. Once you get there, choose your purpose. Simple pleasures are fleeting, sure, but so is everything. There's no fault in it. Your end is ultimately a good thing.

Read Stirner?
>>
>>9185136
>Nothing seems to have any value and all people seem to be deeply flawed, superficial garbage. I've tried to stave it off by rejecting morality and focusing on the simple pleasures of life
take it back to livejournal
>>
>>9185196

>life is meaningfless
>Stirner
>Is a tripfag
>>
File: Epicurus' Principal Doctrien 27.jpg (109KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Epicurus' Principal Doctrien 27.jpg
109KB, 800x600px
>>9185213
Will you give me a real counter?
If not, we must assume you agree 100%
>>
>>9185228
there's no counter because your "philosophy" is a meme. And a bad one at that. If your end is ultimately a good thing then just kill yourself.
>>
>>9185168
I'll check out Meditations
I was born in a catholic family, but never really cared for it that much and soon faded into agnosticism. Not sure if organised religion can be an answer for me, since most catholics I've seen just seem to be going through the paces, and the whole thing seems filled with mundanity overall.
I'd probably need a mystical experience to ever become a believer.
>>9185196
I've read Stirner already, and he was one of the factors that led to the whole "sustainable hedonism without giving a fuck about morality" idea, and that doesn't really seem to be working out in the long run.
I no longer think entirely bypassing morality is possible for any human being.
>>9185193
I'll try my best, it's just that morality seems so flawed and hypocritical to me a lot of the time.
>>9185194
Seems you had it more rough than me, anon. I hope you find something of value someday.
>>
>>9185270
what's about morality that you think it's hypocritical and flawed? Is it because of the temporal satisfaction you get out of not following morality?
>>
>>9185196
>unironically recommending stirner
Why are tripfags here so absolutely fucking retarded? Not only do you think that freshman philosophy meme has anything of value to offer, but actually feel qualified to give advice. Fucking kill yourself, you irredeemable piece of human garbage.
>>
File: We're young.jpg (98KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
We're young.jpg
98KB, 500x375px
>>9185261
>your philosophy is a "meme."
>You enjoy life more because it's fleeting? Well you should just kill yourself.

Are you even serious?
>>
>>9185136
Where on Earth did you get the idea there is "help" out there for you?
The more you learn the more depressed you'll get. I recommend drinking enough in the hopes you'll lose enough brain cells to think you found Jesus
>>
>>9185196
>life is meaningless
>choose your purpose

What the fuck are you on about woman
>>
challenge yourself
>>
>>9185270
>Not sure if organised religion can be an answer for me, since most catholics I've seen just seem to be going through the paces, and the whole thing seems filled with mundanity overall.

I understand the sentiment. To be fair, every religion is filled with lukewarm people...
Maybe you already did, but you should probably read some Aquinas he did a great job conciliating faith with reason (and dude got a lot of "mystical experiences" as you said, he could just have gone with it and say "the bible says so therefore it's true"
>>
>tfw read too much of Lacan that I want to be a Catholic but too aware to ever fall for the meme
>>
Why does reddit come here?
>>
>>9185291
fuck off back to /sci/
>>9185314
not him, but I'm curious about this. Do you think that reading Aquinas will reconcile the dilemma between reason and faith I'm currently living in?
>>
>>9185270
You construct your own morality. The reasons are up to you. Don't live like nihilism is a church.

>>9185280
Freshmen don't read about anarchism.

>>9185301
The wisdom one can extract from the truth.
Is there something too deep about this "freshman philosophy"

>>9185327
To drop these little advertisements. Now fuck off.
>>
>>9185334
your "philosophy" is just pop-philosophy without any depth or framework. It's just a path for the intellectualy lazy.
>>
>>9185136
>>
>>9185329
Do you think people would be leaving the Church in record numbers if all it took was reading fucking Aquinas?
>>
>You construct your own morality. The reasons are up to you.
>I'm starting to realize that doesn't solve anything for me as the dread always returns.
Ah, yes, the good old don't-read-the-OP-just-shit-up-the-thread-with-your-feelgood-pseud-bullshit tactic. A classic.
>>
>>9185334
>Freshmen don't read about anarchism

You're right, they usually abandon that by the end or High School
>>
>>9185278
People judging others by their own, arbitrary standards, born out of random life experiences, hormones and cultural cliches.
I like simple and total solutions, and morality has no solutions, only questions and interpretations. It just seems completely subjective to me.
>>9185291
And yet I see people around me who can seemingly deal with reality. I don't think all of them manage it just because they're dumb.
>>9185314
I'm thinking christian philosophers in general might help, since most of them seemingly achieved a state of well-being.
Might also look into eastern philosophy, no idea what to start with though.
>>9185334
>You construct your own morality
That's more Nietzsche then, he's another option I considered
>>
>>9185341
How many people, Christian or otherwise, do you see reading Aquinas?
>demographic shifts are clues toward the fundamental nature of the universe
I guess this bears repeating:
>>>/sci/
>>
File: pascal-quote.jpg (127KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
pascal-quote.jpg
127KB, 960x720px
>>9185329
I can't really speak from experience because my journey from atheism to religion has been really convoluted (I've been convinced by René Guenon, Schuon etc.) but I'm sure reading Aquinas will be helpful, depending of the problem you're struggling with of course.

Also get yourself "Pensées" of Blaise Pascal. The book is pretty much 1000+ paragraphs/aphorism about the vanity of human life and conciliating reason and christianity
>>
File: Ivana.jpg (24KB, 530x399px) Image search: [Google]
Ivana.jpg
24KB, 530x399px
>>9185337
And you still haven't refuted it.
Because you can't.
Wisdom is often found in simplicity.
>>
>>9185366
>Because you can't.

Another lazy conclusion.
>>
>>9185354
>seemingly

This is the keyword, they literally just don't think about it. They don't have any secret knowledge or understanding you lack
>>
File: cia.jpg (22KB, 500x536px) Image search: [Google]
cia.jpg
22KB, 500x536px
>>9185366
>Wisdom is often found in simplicity.
I thought women were supposed to be able to think critically in the twenty-first century, and yet you're still spouting platitudes like a Facebook mom. Unrelated to the OP, but can you explain this phenomenon? What causes this breakdown between expectation and reality?
>>
>>9185366
You just think OP is a chick and want to suck her clit. Keep your flimsy fantasies to tinder
>>
>>9185355
>>demographic shifts are clues toward the fundamental nature of the universe

Sure why not, its the same demographic shifts that mean we're not currently discussing whether Zeus or Thor is the real father God
>>
>>9185397
Greek and Nordic mythologies as allegories for spiritual principles were actually good.
It's when people take those allegories for real people living in the sky that "paganism" really is born.

That's also why catholocism didn't have a problem integrating pieces of these ancient mythos into their doctrines for their hidden truth still stands.

Today christianity is in the same state as pagan religion 2000years ago with people believing the "father" is actually a man in the clouds and not the eternal principle of the universe.
>>
>>9185364
Thank you anon. My problem is that I have doubts about everything. Even mathematics. I know it's childish, but I have problems reconciling what was my worldview (agnosticism nearing atheism for 7 years) with Faith and Christianism.

Maybe it's just the fact that it has been barely a month since I started questioning the intransigent materialistic views I held before?

I watch my previous youtube comments, the insults I directed towards religious people and all the blasphemies I uttered and I feel deep shame. I guess I'm on the proper road once again?

Even if I got to accept that God is real and reconcile my faith with my reason I would feel unworthy of God's forgiveness. Sorry if I'm writing too much.
>>
>>9185354
>People judging others by their own, arbitrary standards, born out of random life experiences, hormones and cultural cliches.
I like simple and total solutions, and morality has no solutions, only questions and interpretations. It just seems completely subjective to me.

You can understand that there's an inherent hipocrysy and defects in how we apply morality to others. The fact that we're imperfect doesn't mean that morality is subjective.
>>
>>9185417
>Sorry if I'm writing too much.

No it's ok really. I know how you feel, I've been struggling for two years with the same issues as yours and some even worse (such as: "Is God personnal or impersonnal?" According to reason He is impersonnal, but can he be personnal at the same time like in the revelations" ) and I'm only seeing the end of the tunnel and it's great so far... The "peace of mind" meme is actually true when you experience it (with the occasionnal burst of hapiness when praying deeply)

Also don't worry about feeling unworthy about God's forgiveness... I'm falling constantly and I've done worse than spouting blasphems on a youtube video. As long as you never give up and keep trying once step at a time you'll get there.

Cheers!
>>
>>9185416
>Today christianity is in the same state as pagan religion 2000years ago with people believing the "father" is actually a man in the clouds and not the eternal principle of the universe.

With the issue being there is no such eternal principal. The expansion of our understanding of the universe has brought nothing but further radical steps towards contextualizing our irrelevant and arbitrary place in what is a messy near void with nothing resembling harmony
>>
OP here, I'll be going to sleep now. Screencapped this thread for now, I'll be back in about ten hours if it's still up by then.
Thank you for all you advice, feel free to post some more, I'll go over it in the morning
>>9185435
If morality is imperfect and hypocritical by nature, then how can it have any real value? Attempts at creating objective morality always seem inaplicable to reality.
>>9185440
I'd love to reach this state.
>>
>>9185465
>I'd love to reach this state

Try opiates, they're more reliable
>>
File: break_by_adonihs-d46flgw.jpg (167KB, 728x1098px) Image search: [Google]
break_by_adonihs-d46flgw.jpg
167KB, 728x1098px
>>9185354
Nietzsche really liked Stirner, but was also afraid people would accuse him of plagiarism. He wrote much more flowery and certainly not without flaws, I'm sure. He could be a source of inspiration.
I still need to read up on the guy more.

>>9185382
>Platitudes
>Posts Bane meme
Why do I need to write essays worth to a bunch of memester frogs?

>>9185385
Naw. Likely a dude.
>>
>>9185440
Thank you anon, may God bless you. I've tried talking with religious people I know but most of them don't have time or maybe feel like I'm lying (I was too recalcitrant in my views). I have many sins, not only the ones I mentioned in my previous post.

It makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one struggling with similar issues in this world. I feel that too many religious people just go throught the motions instead of trying to have a fullfilling relationship with God and instead of having a proper answer for the problems I'm wondering about they just tell me that I should trust God. I know that it may be the answer but my issue is starting to trust God. To not think too much about the whys or hows and instead learn to love, to trust God.

I was deeply religious when I was a kid. Maybe it sounds stupid but I would really like to go back to that sense of security I felt in God.

Thank you one more time, anon.
>>
>>9185474
>>9185465

I'm not sure if you're memeing but it is not even close and I've been "high" before.

I'm not saying i've reached enlightenment or anything, I'm still a normal dude... it's just that now I have a clear mind, clear thoughts, I just feel at peace really. I don't need another word to describe this feeling.

Good night OP, this is a good thread.
>>
>>9185440
and it may sound weird but reading your post was cathartic to me. Throughout the entire day I was in bed, and then at the computer. Shivering and almost crying. How you talk about God and how you have reached this state of mind makes me feel like I can reach it. Thank you once again.
>>
>>9185479
>I am right because you guys don't bother extensively refuting my meme philosophy
>Why do I need to write essays worth to a bunch of memester frogs?
I hope you die young, unfulfilled and in great pain.
>>
>>9185497
You're intellectually castrated. If I had my balls chopped off I'd certainly feel more at peace with my sex life
>>
>>9185479
You know I actually like you butterfly but you need to drop this arrogant dike shit and start swallowing the brain cum of your superiors
>>
>>9185485
>I was deeply religious when I was a kid. Maybe it sounds stupid but I would really like to go back to that sense of security I felt in God.

Ah ah same!
Well you're welcome, I've enjoyed our conversation as well. I don't know if this will help you about "going with the flow" I wish I could quote you the book directly (alas I've read it in French) but Pascal says something akin to :
"To those struggling with faith, one should begin by renouncing pleasure and submitting the body to religious deeds (mass, prayers, rituals, etc.) for it is the animalistic nature of man and it will become what it imitates through repetition (think of the 2nd nature of Aristotles)

You should probably do that as well. I've been doing it since January and it works well so far, much better than reading books after books over and over and pondering about the same questions everyday (I still read theological books ofc but now they inspire me much more)

God bless you too anon!
>>
>>9185508
>scientist fedora
>You're intellectually castrated
Pure gold.
>>
>>9185498
You will too anon I believe in you. If an anxious overthinker such as me did it, you will!
Good night!
>>
>>9185538
If your conception of anyone who doesn't believe in literal magic as merely "scientists" then yeah I think you're the intellectually limited one
>>
File: Pippi the pirate.jpg (316KB, 2400x1680px) Image search: [Google]
Pippi the pirate.jpg
316KB, 2400x1680px
>>9185354
>I don't think all of them manage it just because they're dumb.
Too many people drift along believing in, well, spooks. But yes, some do manage living in this world of adversity.
I advise starting with the Greeks for a good variety of reasons, one of which is to instill a sense of bravery and heroic nature. Life is dull a lot of the times, but you don't have to live that way. There is an evil force binding people to this pomo pos lifestyle, and I want to be a part of taking it apart.

>>9185530
You mistake confidence and positivity here for arrogance.
Now do swallow the cum of my gracious correction of the record.
>>
>>9185549
>religion is believing in literal magic
This says it all really. Unless you're underage you should be ashamed of your wild fedoratism. I'm not even religious myself.
>>
>tripfag

Sage and report.
>>
>>9185566
In any other context in life I wouldn't be so hostile but I'm trying to hold some sort of intellectual standard on this board.
>>
File: Nice stupid frogposter.gif (61KB, 638x568px) Image search: [Google]
Nice stupid frogposter.gif
61KB, 638x568px
>>9185570
>Leave me in my depressive, foul recognizable. Reeeeee.
>>
>>9185587
It's fascinating how often people least qualified take it upon themselves to uphold standards.
>>
File: photo.png (126KB, 301x301px) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
126KB, 301x301px
>>9185587
>religion is believing in literal magic
>intellectual standard
>>
>>9185322
Poetry is faith. Read, and live.
>>
I think you can have a bunch of different attitudes toward the world. You can be immersed in it and take it for granted, obviously, which is what most people do. But you can also see it as "not real" or "not meaningful" somehow, which is what happens during an existential crisis. Aside from just forgetting about the crisis, you can respond to it in a few ways. You can highlight the sense of unreality, drastically delimiting what is potentially "meaningful" in life so that the world becomes a starkly and uniformly meaningless place, and you have to find meaning entirely inside your own mind (so, hedonism or absurdism). Or you can try to impose meaning on the world, taking the craving for meaning that you feel within you as a directive to create that meaning, in the world, even if it's incredibly difficult.

I think, pre-existential crisis, we tend to see the world as a lumpy place full of inherent meanings. It's got a lot of mystery in it, it's an undiscovered country. You're not quite sure what most stuff means, but you're pretty sure most of it at least means something. People's lives are inherently meaningful, their goals are meaningful, something-or-other about politics and culture and humanity's destiny is just "important." It's all going somewhere. There is meaninglessness too, but it's like the void between planets - it's just the backdrop for all the meaning that is buzzing and blooming around you on a daily basis.

The real sadness of the existential crisis is having all of that meaning, all that lumpiness and complexity of the universe, disappear. Once you see that everyone is just deluded and nothing ultimately matters, it applies to every single thing you can think about. Morality, love, friendship, politics, humanity, it's all subjected to one elegant mechanistic principle that doesn't require "meaning" to function.

Like I said, you can respond to that either by accepting it, and radically perfecting your vision of the world as a flat gray space of nothing, or you can try to rediscover meaning, and then create it within the world that currently seems so flat to you.

I don't mean that in the absurdist sense of amusing yourself with the simple things in life until you're dead. I mean rediscover the objective lumpiness, realize it's there but hidden because much more subtle, and then make it your goal in life to bring it more into being. You've discovered that the world isn't inherently bulging with purpose. It tends toward flatness, coldness, deadness, entropy. Nothing that you can see right now is easily coalescing into mankind's entelechy, the final purpose of things, the Welträtsel. But if you look closely inside your own mind, on your own moral drives and instincts, reflect on them and purify them, and then look back out at the world, you might find that you see the threads of purpose waiting to be picked up.
>>
>>9185136

>the dread always returns

All sensation, from the dread you're experiencing to the best thing that's ever happened to you, is essentially the same. It's all input from your mind to your consciousness. If you practice mindfulness meditation for several hours everyday you can learn to redirect the focus of your mind so that your consciousness only experiences what you decide to subject it to.

I'd also recommend strengthening your will by intentionally exposing yourself to pain through taking cold showers, forcing yourself to be hungry, and lifting weights to complete exhaustion.
>>
>>9185168
>Islam
Fuck off
>>
>>9185781
>If you practice mindfulness meditation

Oh boy, here we go
>>
>>9185322
Same
>>
File: 94871239722.png (3MB, 1918x1214px) Image search: [Google]
94871239722.png
3MB, 1918x1214px
>>9185945
>>
>>9185136
>I've tried to stave it off by rejecting morality and focusing on the simple pleasures of life,
Wrong conclusion to make.
Start with the Greeks.
If you have already done the Greeks, read them again. If you don't get it after the second full round kill yourself.

>>9185168
>Islam
kill yourself nigger
>>
>>9186042
You got problems man
>>
>>9186042
>Start with the Greeks.
>read them again.
>If you don't get it after the second full round kill yourself.
>still filters boypucci
I guess it's the rope for you.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (102KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
102KB, 1920x1080px
>>9186071
Ask him what he thinks OP can learn from the Greeks. I've said above and now I'm curious as to what his thoughts are.
>>
>>9185136
clear example that existentialism hasnt fixed anything but created new problems.
>>
>>9186103
Fuck off and die, tripshit.
>>
>>9186124
Don't insult our Queen you edgy crossboarder
>>
File: 1487730636161.png (673KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
1487730636161.png
673KB, 500x775px
>>9186103
>>
>>9185194
You need a different escape
everyone who gets on this board and memes about psych drugs is kinda lame but if you're gonna kill yourself you should look into some carnal/banal psychedelia shit
try Aldous Huxley
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2010/03/most-beautiful-death.html
>>
File: Neenerneener.jpg (75KB, 479x700px) Image search: [Google]
Neenerneener.jpg
75KB, 479x700px
>>9186120
Existentialism wasn't invented to fix anything. It wasn't invented anymore than birth or death was.

I can, however, say this about religion. It hasn't fixed the problem but created a lot of new problems.
>>
>>9186127
Stop samefagging, you pathetic piece of garbage.
>>9186124
>>
File: 1487733454622.png (518KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
1487733454622.png
518KB, 500x775px
>>9186142
>>
man poor Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ everywhere s/he pops up always gets the worst, why do you even keep coming back, if i were you i would stop or just drop the trips
>>
>>9186103
>>9186136

I love how much hate you attract. Even-headedly triggering people's insecurity is the mark of a person who knows what they're talking about, i.e. a philosopher. You're doing God's work, anon, never stop.
>>
>>9186142
holy...
>>
>>9186142

>It hasn't fixed the problem but created a lot of new problems.

I don't know about that. Religion has always had the ability to keep people in line. Civilization wouldn't have lasted this long if it weren't for religion and I'd consider civilization good because without it there'd be no such thing as dragon dildos.
>>
None of this will help.

It is clinical depression and he needs drugs.
>>
>>9185136
This shit can only happen in a hyper-individualist Western society.

You're told to "find yourself" and "be different", but the truth is, most people are simply not cut out to be free thinkers, and they get themselves stuck in these holes by straying too far from the herd. Only the best can stare into the abyss and come out alive: the artists, the philosophers, the greatest, strongest men.

But 99% of people are better off blindly following some religion or other traditional doctrine.
>>
>>9186201
Who are you even talking to?
He's a closeted chubby chaser who thinks he can bother me by claiming I'm overweight.
>>9186164
>the worst of it
HA
>>
>>9186241
t. Dr. Shekelstein
>>
>>9186201
>people spit on me and throw things
>means i know what I'm talking about
This pathetic samefagging.
>>
File: butterfly, the cunt 2.png (458KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
butterfly, the cunt 2.png
458KB, 500x775px
>>9186250
>>
>>9186262
Imagine being a grown man so insecure and sexually frustrated that you go through the effort of making these
>>
>>9186262
i like this guy
>>
>>9186246
>critiques Western society obviously having zero knowledge of the East
>profound teenage truth bombs about the herd
Back to Ieddit, champ.
>>
>>9186267
I never claimed to know anything about the East.
>>
>>9186271
>I never claimed to know anything about the East.
>This shit can only happen in a hyper-individualist Western society
>>
>>9186288
Ching ching Chang

Fuck off
>>
>>9186297
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>9186288
Are you saying that the East isn't collectivist?
>>
>>9186256

Humans hate what they can't understand.
>>
>>9186250

>Who are you even talking to?

I was talking to you.

This will sound bizarre, but I mean it with complete sincerity. I've been practicing Platonism for the last few weeks and have been using you as a model of Being. I worship by way of platonic love. I want you to know that you have done a lot for me.
>>
>>9186333

Trips of quintessential truth. Now I know I'm not delusional
>>
>>9186221
>Religion has always had the ability to keep people in line
Creating a whole lot of new problems. Oh it works for the power elites. Are you a power-fetishists? You think "civilization" can only come about through brute force and brainwashing?

>>9186333
Interesting
>>
File: butterfly, the cunt 5.png (559KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
butterfly, the cunt 5.png
559KB, 500x775px
>>9186360
>>
>>9186360

>can only come about through brute force and brainwashing

Without capitalism modern medicine isn't possible as far as I can tell. How do you keep all of humanity in line to achieve things like the moon landing and brain surgery.

I see these achievements as good things and thus worth pursuing at the cost of manipulating billions of people. If we didn't pursue these things what would we do instead? Allow humanity to go back to tribalism? I think we'd be happier there than Hobbes would have us believe, but humans would inevitably go back to pursuing civilization a second time. If humans keep quitting and intentionally returning to nature we will trap our species on a treadmill, or rather pushing a rock up a hill. This is why I see progress as an imperative. If we get to the point where all humans see themselves as human and learn to enjoy the act of the pushing the rock, then we can be collectively content.

>Interesting

I'm not insane, please believe me. Engaging with Platonism has been out of an attempt at philosophical exploration.
>>
>>9186407
>Without capitalism modern medicine isn't possible as far as I can tell. How do you keep all of humanity in line to achieve things like the moon landing and brain surgery.

What, there were brain surgeons in the USSR and they beat America for tons of the space race milestones.
>>
>>9186407
If humanity had somehow established a real and lasting Golden Age of Saturn, if you will, medicines and space travel would have developed as they came. We can never know of course. All that matters now is what we can do to avoid this extinction event rushing up on us. And there is great purpose in a life dedicated to this.

>Bu' climate change isn't real
It doesn't even matter in the end. Capitalism will only improve a medicine or go into space if there's profits. It's corruption and inherently degenerative.
>>
>>9185485
You need to read Confessions by Augustine. He struggled badly throughout his life with the shame of the sins he committed as a young adult. He was a sexual deviant and he went on to become one of the greatest Godly men in history.
>>
>>9186314
Humans also hate things they understand and find wrong, amoral and despicable. For example: I hate your retarded empty polemics and my autistic need to reply and explain this to you.
>>
>>9186417

>What, there were brain surgeons in the USSR and they beat America for tons of the space race milestones.

The USSR was unsustainable, that's why Russia operates on a market economy today.

>>9186447

>All that matters now is what we can do to avoid this extinction event rushing up on us

Are you talking about climate change? That's not going to wipe humanity out. Worst case scenario (best case if you're unscrupulous) 99.999% of humans are killed and the elite take all the information gained up to this point and start a colony on Mars until earth stabilizes and becomes habitable for humans.

Either that or the elite bury themselves in complex bunkers and develop terraforming techniques to return earth to a state hospitable to humans.

>>9186464

>Humans also hate things they understand and find wrong, amoral and despicable

Absolutely. But what they find wrong, amoral and despicable can sometimes be the right answer. See: Scientologists denying that they're in a cult, catholics denying priest pedofilia, the murder of Socrates, denial of heliocentrism, Spinoza's Ethics, flat earthers getting pissed after being btfo, etc.

>I hate your retarded empty polemics

I am being annoying

>my autistic need to reply and explain this to you

I respect that. People who don't bother to go as far as you are harder to reach. I wish you would consider my ideas a little more, though; you seem a bit dogmatic in your thinking.
>>
File: Ninnyhammer.jpg (129KB, 900x567px) Image search: [Google]
Ninnyhammer.jpg
129KB, 900x567px
>>9186527
<–
>>
>>9186547

Can you refute me so that I'll realize I'm wrong and stop posting? I'm not joking when I say, "I have 36 threads open from boards across 4chan and in every one I intensely berate other posters. Not a single one of which has replied with a logical refute of my arguments, just insults and modes of dismissal."

That pic is cute af, but I want to go do something else right now. My autism won't allow me to put the laptop down until someone explains how I'm wrong. Please help me
>>
>>9186547

Is this you?
>>
>>9186547

I swear to God, help me. I'm not joking, I'm begging you to refute my argument! PLEASE
>>
>>9186581
Butterfly has possibly been multiple posters at multiple times, but the only time "she" ever confirmed her gender was with screenshotted stills from an ancient webcam video of some masculine looking chick.

Likely it's a guy who ran with people assuming he's a girl because he tripfagged as "Butterfly."
>>
>>9186527
>I wish you would consider my ideas a little more
You have no ideas. Your post to which I replied was literally "people get triggered by what the tripfag (you) says therefore it's true". Which is obviously wrong and retarded on every level. Now fuck off to plebbit with your empty demagoguery.
>>
>>9186593

Damn

>>9186594

>Your post to which I replied was literally "people get triggered by what the tripfag (you) says therefore it's true".

That isn't what I said! Go to my post, parse the words, and point out any inconsistencies you groupthinker.
>>
>>9186570
>I have 36 threads open
>in every one I intensely berate other posters
>Not a single one of which has replied with a logical refute
You're an insane homeless man standing on a corner shouting about divine apocalypse, evil neocommunist lizard people and chemtrails, harassing people and scaring women and children. There's absolutely no wonder nobody will ever engage with you in a serious discussion and I find it astonishing that you somehow fail to understand the reason.
>>
>>9186605
>go to my post and lets play retarded language games where I deny obvious implications of my statements, autistically screech at the concept of 'colloquial meaning' and devolve into further pointless idiotic demagoguery to win an arbitrary verbal battle with no real discussion topic
No, thank you. Enjoy your exquisite autism alone. You win. Cheerio.
>>
>>9186613

That's what they said Socrates

The difference between me and, "an insane homeless man standing on a corner shouting about divine apocalypse, evil neocommunist lizard people and chemtrails, harassing people and scaring women and children," is that what I'm saying is rationally coherent and backed by inductive reasoning and those people have elaborate delusions that they've connected with other delusions.

I've built my thinking from the ground up and have used real world experience and methods of induction to come to the conclusion that I'm not the delusional one, you are. Socrates realized the same thing and people like you told him he was wrong.

Let me predict what you'll respond to this post with, "You're delusional comparing yourself to Socrates. Holy shit hahaha."
Oh yeah, because some guy who lived in an ancient city couldn't possibly be surpassed by some other guy who sits in his room all day meditating and reading the entire western canon on his laptop. Nope, Socrates had magic powers that some guy in 2017 couldn't possibly live up to.
>>
>>9186628

Whatever dude, it would have been easier to just refute their argument with your own.
>>
>>9186637
>I am a misunderstood genius ostracized by le filthy stupid plebeians dude
Okay. Enjoy yourself.
>>
>>9186686

>le filthy stupid plebeians dude

That's the whole point, I've transcended the ego. I don't feel superior/inferior to anything. I've been living like this for 3 weeks and it didn't take any drugs to feel this way, just meditation and philosophy. I guarantee you could do it too, I'm not even that smart and I did it.
>>
>>9186719
Yeah, those pesky egos are, thankfully, eliminated right and quick with some three weeks mediation. No biggie. Hell, I did it in 2.

Really, I am just a really cool guy who is transcended. I certainly don't feel any superiority, well founded or not, towards anyone or anything. I am just a cool guy, living in a cool life.

Also, I like shitposting and trying to get people to engage with me by any means necessary. Grant me my wish and I'll logically refute anything you say, except when I don't
>>
>>9186781

>Hell, I did it in 2

No, it's taken me 15 years. I've been in a transcendental state for the last 3 weeks.

>I am just a cool guy, living in a cool life.

This is your insecurity speaking. I'm just a happy person spreading the message that you all should stop dismissing each other out of hand. Listen to what someone says to you and then use reason to determine whether or not it's not. Calling someone a moron and telling them to fuck off is exactly what the Athenians did to Socrates. I'm just regurgitating the message of Plato's "The Apology of Socrates."
>>
>>9186847
All well and good, my friend. Except I am ULTRA transcended. Your transcendences is pretty cool, I'll give you that, bucko. But my transcendences is top of the line, best in its class. Can't get any better than this piece right here. So come back to me when you're ready to tussle with the big fellas, junior
>>
>>9186873

>come back to me when you're ready to tussle with the big fellas, junior

lol

Let's get real, you aren't that big. I am a small guy and your big for me, but compared to some really big guys your small too. And as small as I am there are guys still smaller than me that call me a big guy. We're both finitely sized and thus there can always be guys bigger and smaller than us.

Let's just be friends as we're equally small compared to an infinitely big guy. What do you say?
>>
>>9186896
Was this part of your master plan?
>>
File: 89e.png (159KB, 600x547px) Image search: [Google]
89e.png
159KB, 600x547px
>>9186896
>tfw you try to radiate transcendent wisdom but write a 9gag post instead
>>
>>9186896
>I am a small guy and your big for me
You can't say this wasn't in purpose
>>
>>9186924

I'm sure plenty 9gaggers read and appreciate Spinoza

>>9186910

God's the only one with a master plan
If you people actually read the shit I'm saying wouldn't sound so stupid. That's the ultimate irony. That's the fool on the hill.
>>
>>9185136
Read Seneca letters from a stoic, read stoic philosophy in general it will help, it has helped me.
>>
>>9186896
>What do you say?
It would be extremely painful
>>
>>9186896
>Let's just be friends as we're equally small compared to an infinitely big guy. What do you say?
Sure, if we can suck each other's transcendental dicks, while you call me a transcendent guy for you. Sure, we can do that. Sounds fun, three week man
>>
>>9186938
>he thinks adding 'i read Spinoza' to his kindergarten tier revelations somehow makes them more interesting
2+2=4
also I read Hegel
if only you people actually read the shit I'm saying wouldn't sound so stupid
>>
Do you have a hobby that involves physical activity? Because losing yourself in an exerting task that you enjoy will help just as much as reading practical philosopies.

You might think "Why am I even doing this?" but do it anyway, if your goal is to get out of an existential crisis. Positive actions are needed just as much as positive thought, they go hand in hand.
>>
File: spooky-feel.jpg (26KB, 300x291px) Image search: [Google]
spooky-feel.jpg
26KB, 300x291px
>>9187023
>doing things
>>
>>9187000

Whatever, my man, be mad. I read the shit and am happy as a result. If you didn't appreciate like I have it's because you didn't understand what he was actually saying.
>>
>>9187051
>If you didn't appreciate like I have it's because you didn't understand what he was actually saying.
I see. So if someone doesn't reach the same conclusion as you, they must have not understood.

You're as transcended as a shoe thrown through a window
>>
>>9187063

>You're as transcended as a shoe thrown through a window

You're insulting me because you're insecure about your own life. Either subconsciously or consciously your mind is thinking about how much of a pathetic loser you must be if I'm transcended and you're not. I just some loser on the internet, yet I'm better than you. That's makes you worse than a loser on the internet. Damn, that can't feel good so you deflect and write me off as stupid.

>I see. So if someone doesn't reach the same conclusion as you, they must have not understood.

No, you didn't reach the conclusion Spinoza intended for you to reach. You've been fed the lie of postmodernism that you should interpret everything in your own way and ignore authorial intent. This is why you didn't understand The Ethics. It's not your fault you've been indoctrinated since birth.

Now comes your decision though. Are you going to go back and re-read The Ethics with Spinoza's intentions in mind or will you dismiss me because you think I'm idiot? Go ahead buddy, do the predictable thing close this thread without replying to me. Fucking do it like every other person has ever done. Let your insecurity flow through you as you cringe at this post and think of me as a pathetic loser. Do it.

Meanwhile I will go on my merry way. You could come with me and we'd be happy together, but you won't because you think I'm. Too bad for you
>>
>>9187092
Yeah, I'm not really buying into you being genuine, my boy. That doesn't mean we can't get jiggy with it, though. What say you, guru of the pseudo? Perchance, will you prance with me, dance with me?
>>
>>9187103

>I'm not really buying into you being genuine, my boy.

Are you questioning the authenticity of my presentation or my message? I can assure you, lad, both are beyond corruption.
>>
>>9187109
So, we fucking or what?
>>
>>9187113
This was the most existential opening to a porno I've ever seen
>>
>>9187113

Nah, I've made it this long as a virgin, I might as well hold out for that special someone. You know?

I'll be your friend though. We touched each other's minds which is pretty cool. No matter how pretentious, delusional, or moronic I've been, we shared something and that bond will exist infinitely among all possible things of existence and imagination. No force, no matter how powerful, can negate that.
>>
>>9187141
>Let's just be friends
Story of my life
>>
>>9187149

You're too invested. There's nothing more attractive than aloofness. Everything works when you look at down your nose. That's why Jews are disproportionately successful.
>>
>>9187158
Disproportional big noses for disproportional big success, as the old tribe saying goes
>>
>>9185168
Islam? Seriously? You want to create another suicide bomber?
>>
>>9187554
>Hurr durr Ibeing a muslim means you'll do suicide combing
>Being a christian means you'll join the KKK

Shut. Up.
>>
>>9187569
Stop this oversimplification!
Not all muslims are suicide bombers, just some. Most would never do it, but agree nonetheless. Some even are against it.
And not every Christian is in the KKK.
>>
>>9187569
Triggered? Are you from Sweden or what?
>>
>>9187580
Sweden is degenerate so no.
>>
>>9185479
Your trip codes is disgusting and so are your posts
>>
>tfw once again a good thread was derailed by tripfag vs anti-tripfag bullshit
why does miss butterfly even trip? her posts clearly are nowhere near special enough to justify that
>read stirner (even though OP stated immoral hedonism isn't working for him)
>start with the greeks
>fuck religion
>unaquained with Nietzsche
>general empty pop-philosophy bullshit
just compare that to some of the insightful, thoughtful posts made by anonymous posters who actually read the OP and took the time to give him meaningful advice.
the people calling her out for it are responsible for the derailment too. if you took out the trip, all her posts would just be mediocre anonymous memery, nothing deserving of real hate. just ignore her, filter her, don't give her attention, positive or negative.
>>
>>9185737
thanks
>>
>>9185136

I had a severe existential crisis for a very long time too and snapped out of it. I recommend:

Letters From a Stoic by Seneca (look up his letters on death specifically too)
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Tao Te Ching
Zen Mind: Beginner's Mind by Suzuki (best meditation book, no bullshit, no fluff, no prerequisite knowledge of zen philosophy, literally the best book to help you achieve a zen state in daily life)
Wherever You Go There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn (similar to Zen Mind: Beginner's Mind)
Tim Ferriss podcast episodes with Naval Ravikant
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck
Flow by Mihael Cmdsfoeoifjiewaiufqeiuhfei (something polish or something)
As much Alan Watts as possible - audio, books, videos, whatever.

I do stream of consciousness journaling, or freewriting, as a form of meditation. You can achieve the zen state doing a lot of things, like martial arts, gun range, cooking, cleaning, exercise, playing a sport, anything where you achieve a state of "flow" in your mind. The state of "flow" is even scientifically linked to happiness. You can also try straight up meditation to supplement your flow. Flow is the ideal form of being alive, and the purpose of life is simply to live, then you die, everything you tried to do to immortalize yourself will just get lost in time anyway, all humans will eventually die, the universe is billions and billions of years old so just drop any form of immortality you wish to achieve (whether it's writing a book or starting a business or something you want to be remembered by). You have a very short time here, so spend it doing something you enjoy, being happy, helping people.
>>
>>9187734
You nailed it perfectly.
Tripfags feed on attention.
>>
>>9185168
>islam
>>
>>9185136
>laughing at ugliness

If you laugh at "ugliness," you're needlessly cruel because the ugly cannot help it.

You should laugh, rather, at absurdity, because that is always something acted, something that could have been done otherwise if thought had been put into it. A person is not absurd in the way that a person is ugly; people act absurdly, and if you see "ugliness" in an action, that is your problem i.e. your delusion.

Ask yourself why you think certain things are "ugly," and you'll break out of the dread with some thought.
>>
>>9188322
The "flow" thing might be a good idea. I used to sort of get that feeling from swimming and riding a bike, which I will definitely do once it gets warmer.
Also that's like the third time in this thread somebody recommends "meditations", so that's definitely going on top of my "to read" list.
>>9188495
The thing is I don't see the difference between ugly and despicable anymore, since I'm fairly convinced that all despicable behavior stems from psychological issues, upbringing, physical differences in the brain and other factors outside of one's control. If I laugh at people who do absurd or despicable things, I also have to laugh at mediocrity in any context or stop finding people's absurdity humorous altogether.
>>
>>9188995
Again, absurd is not despicable (an ugly act). The former is morally neutral, while the latter has a connotation of categorical judgement.

Realizing absurdity is joyful, unless you're literally in danger from the lie, while a joyful thing and a despicable thing are mutually exclusive.

The point: your morality is your problem, because (at least it seems to me) it is not *your* morality. It is a "societal" or "logical" or "moral" morality. If you reject "morality" in favor of a new morality (focusing on the simple pleasures), you have accomplished nothing.
>>
>>9185194
get drunk and go for a walk outside dude! you need to relax
you're clearly smart you'll make do. you might not figure it out but you'll make do
>>
>>9189050
>The point: your morality is your problem, because (at least it seems to me) it is not *your* morality. It is a "societal" or "logical" or "moral" morality. If you reject "morality" in favor of a new morality (focusing on the simple pleasures), you have accomplished nothing.
That's an interesting thought. What do I do then? How do I go about creating my own morality?
>>
File: xtill02.jpg (28KB, 510x449px) Image search: [Google]
xtill02.jpg
28KB, 510x449px
unironically look into this man's thought, there's a good chance that it will resonate with you, it did with me.

Bless you desu
>>
>>9189172
>>9189172
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/larry-law-revolutionary-self-theory
>>
>>9189493
this book is fucking garbage, you're better off reading the wikipedia article for syncretism
>>
>>9185136
Stop laughing and go fix your life
>>
Bumpo
>>
>>9190946
why would you bump this thread? Discussion was already exhausted
>>
>>9185228
now make me a sandwich
>>
>>9185168
Now this is how you bait. Bravo, anon.
>>
>>9185168
>islam
kys
>>
>>9185327
to get to the other side
>>
>>9185168
Ignore /pol/. You're right about Islam, and anybody disagreeing should read Houellebecq's Submission.

Islam would certainly be an option for me if it wasn't a moral downgrade from Christian ethics. I'll always prefer Christ turning the other cheek to Muhammad's eye for an eye.
>>
>>9191715
Both faith are good honestly if you subscribe to it without any wordly motives, they have produced a lot of saints.

I understand your sentiment though, the Quran says that it's better to forgive if one can but you're right about the "an eye for an eye stuff"
>>
>>9191757
I think that the problem is that most people are inherently repulsed by a worldview that glorifies violence.
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.