[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plato is stupid. Seriously. And it's important that you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: 1484788604436.jpg (336KB, 1539x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1484788604436.jpg
336KB, 1539x1600px
Plato is stupid.

Seriously.

And it's important that you all understand that Western society is based on the fallacy-ridden ramblings of an idiot. Read this, understand that he is not joking, and understand that Plato is well and truly fucked in the head.

Every single one of his works goes like this:

SOCRATES: "Hello, I will now prove this theory!"
STRAWMAN: "Surely you are wrong!"
SOCRATES: "Nonsense. Listen, Strawman: can we agree to the following wildly presumptive statement that is at the core of my argument?" {Insert wildly presumptive statement here— this time, it's "There is such a thing as Perfect Justice" and "There is such a thing as Perfect Beauty", among others.}
STRAWMAN: "Yes, of course, that is obvious."
SOCRATES: "Good! Now that we have conveniently skipped over all of the logically-necessary debate, because my off-the-wall crazy ideas surely wouldn't stand up to any real scrutiny, let me tell you an intolerably long hypothetical story."
{Insert intolerably long hypothetical story.}
STRAWMAN: "My God, Socrates! You have completely won me over! That is brilliant! Your woefully simplistic theories should become the basis for future Western civilization! That would be great!"
SOCRATES: "Ha ha! My simple rhetorical device has duped them all! I will now go celebrate by drinking hemlock and scoring a cameo in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!"

The moral of the story is: Plato is stupid.
>>
>>9183811

What's your idea Anon? How would you conceive a better idea of dialectics?
>>
>>9183811
>t. communism has never been tried yet
>>
Phil 101 isn't that hard anon, I'm sure you'll get through it.
>>
>>9183834
Have Glaucon or whatever actually say more than
>hmm really makes you think
>obviously
>yes
>of course
>i see
Thrasymachus was the only one in Republic who actually participates in conversations rather than blindly agreeing to everything Socrates says
>>
>>9183811
>refuting the Greeks

How old are you? Don't just stop with 400bcJC
>>
>>9183849
>missing the point this badly

Interlocutors have no choice but to agree with Socrates because he is just that badass. Get with the canon, babe.
>>
>>9183849
Simply the basics of being open to another's idea? You can decide what is nonsense to you, but only after passing a certain exam. That until there are no longer dangerous idiots I guess.
>>
>>9183862
Is Socrates a smartass?
>>
>>9183871
>having to ask this question
>>
>>9183871
Of course he is. Read the dialogues. He sets these sophists up and knocks them down with their own hubris and his unshakeable logic. Sometimes it is delicious, as with Gorgias, but the father of the west is usually understated in his pwnage.
>>
Le smarty modern men living off his luscious culture's osmosis which was built on greek legacy strikes again.
Imagine yourself being an intellectual in 500BC where everything is made of stone, persians want to fuck your wife, and there are like 5 books to read.
>>
>>9183880
IDK, the thought of it makes me chuckle. Maybe it is why some people prefer Diogene de Sinope heh
>>
>>9183897
this is why lit needs to stop pointing out how the Greeks are easily refutable
>>
>>9183897
I am smarter than the greeks. Know how?
Science bitch.
I know and do science while these greek faggots where worshipping their skygods
They looked up to Achilles and other mythical men. Me? I look up to Dawson, Bill Nye, Neil Degrasse Tyson and Hitchens.
They got nothing on me.
>>
>>9183901
Diogenes was a brilliant troll, but he didn't have the enduring influence of So-Crates. Highly entertaining, but his smarminess died with him.
>>
I'm conviced that Socrates never actually existed. He was probably some half-prophetic half-literary symbol of greek culture and that factoid slipped away from history.
>>
>>9183811
>Every single one of his works goes like this
I read a couple where they never arrive anywhere and Socrates feels bad man.
>>
>>9183811

t. brainlet

>>9183923

popularity =/= virtue
>>
>>9184060
t. Aristotle
you'll always be the lesser of the three Greeks, m8 ;^)
>>
>>9184002

>doesn't read Aristophanes
>>
File: IMG_0378.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0378.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>9184070
>>9184083

GET

ON

MY

LEVEL
>>
File: 1487962435983.jpg (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1487962435983.jpg
45KB, 400x400px
>>9184119

if the s's in your books aren't f's i feel bad for you son

i got 95 theses but modernity aint one
>>
Kek this is thread is extraordinarily retarded
>>
>>9183811
Wew u just hacked the hackety hack.
>>
File: 1486007086498.jpg (51KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1486007086498.jpg
51KB, 640x640px
>>9184171
>>
File: no.jpg (4KB, 74x74px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
4KB, 74x74px
>>9184449
>>
File: 1487535150797.jpg (28KB, 460x468px) Image search: [Google]
1487535150797.jpg
28KB, 460x468px
>>9184453
>>
>>9184455
>>
>>9184449
>>9184453
Is that snek smoking? I didn't get the memo?! Cigarettes are deathsticks!! Just look at the government propaganda on the pack!! Alcohol is ok tho, turn 18 buy 3 bottles of jack and die that same night, nobody cares. But dont let it SMOKE!! UGHH THATS DISGUSTING
>>
>>9184465
It*, not I.
>>
>>9184457
>>9184465

they all smokin

even the snabbers

(editorial note: japan has the highest rate of smoking in the world, and the highest longevity rate; disproportionate amounts of people who live past the age of 110 smoke regularly.)
>>
>>9184477
Then tell me, friend: why are all the countries of the advanced world against smoking?
Are they trying to cover up for the incredible rates of lung cancer brought by industrialization?! Impossible!!
>>
>>9184487

consider the likelihood that the government actually gives a fuck about you vs an ulterior motive for disincentivizing smoking.

people got less lung cancer before they made filters on cigarettes normal.

why is it that smoking a hand rolled, organic, additive free, but extremely rich and strong and unfiltered cigarette doesn't make my throat or lungs hurt, but a single marlboro will have me hacking and sore?
>>
>>9183918
Is this bait? It legit made me laugh. The worst part is that a few years ago I thought the same.
>>
>>9184498
You nailed it.
Now seriously: probably the government, that as we all know always wants the good of the people, doesnt want you to smoke because its inherently 'degenerate' and bad.
If we just did what they advice! Everything that they advice! They can't sleep at night cause theyre too busy looking for ways to make their country better with the power they have: we should just let go!
If they say dont smoke, dont smoke!

Im getting tired of my own pretentious cynicism, it was nice talking to you
>>
>>9184124
Not bad
>>
>>9184520
>The worst part is that a few years ago I thought the same.
It's bait? It legit made me laugh.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.