[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do /lit/ know of any good horror story ? I'm ready to try

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Do /lit/ know of any good horror story ? I'm ready to try anything but I'm not really into gory story. Too boring.
I've read a bunch of Stephen King story. He's alright but nothing amazing.
Lovecraft has some really good one, like "The colour out of space"
I also read load of creepypasta and while a lot of them are shit, some are really good so if you know of any good ones I'll take them.
>>
Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill
>>
Never mind, I'm an ADHD retard I didn't see the wiki. It seems I can't delete the thread though so might as well turn it into an horror general.

>>9183139
Thanks.
>>
Check out M.R. James' short ghost stories.

You have to hunt to find which Lovecraft stories really do it for you. If you liked The Coloreds out of Space, try The Haunter in the Dark.
>>
>>9183147
Don't worry, the wiki kind of sucks and shitposts are the norm.

I was thinking of getting into Peter Straub, myself.

I also like the guy what wrote Communion.
>>
File: _lit_history_of_horror.png (3MB, 788x2544px) Image search: [Google]
_lit_history_of_horror.png
3MB, 788x2544px
This might help
>>
>>9183149
Yeah, I'm reading them one by one on a site with a lot of them available. It's pretty hit and miss.

Thanks for all the authors and list. I'm kind of wary of old horror. Frankestein was nice but not particuliary creepy while Dracula was boring after the first part.
>>
>>9183166
this is surprisingly good.

>>9183149
definitely seconding M.R. James if you want something that's not gory. his stories are very eerie and atmospheric and he wasn't at all a fan of gratuitous violence even though he'd occasionally slip a nasty detail into a story.

I think to better understand HPL you need to read some of the stuff that influenced him like James, Machen, Blackwood, Hodgson, etc. You'll see how he amalgamated them into his own writing, but also made something much stranger and more alien.
>>
>good horror story

Embodiment.
>>
>>9183166

Post a higher res.
>>
He's not traditional horror by any means, but imo JG Ballard elicits a lot of the sensations that good horror should. I'd recommend High-Rise or The Drowned World.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.