[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /lit/.... What do you guys suggestion for someone who wants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: download-1.jpg (13KB, 302x167px) Image search: [Google]
download-1.jpg
13KB, 302x167px
Hi /lit/....
What do you guys suggestion for someone who wants to read poetry and maybe analyzing it?
Thanks.
>>
Also, I have to study poetry because it's required subject in my uni and im a science major. I have no idea what is it or where to start.
>>
>>9182974
>>9183044

> Read poems until you find something you like
> Look up that poet/poem online (somewhere like https://www.poetryfoundation.org/)
> Find similar poets/poems
> Repeat ad naseum

The most important thing to remember is you're allowed to hate as much poetry as you want. It's a very broad category of literature so you're not going to like everything but there is almost certainly some patrician level shit that you will enjoy. You just need to find it.

Pic related is an amazing resource of poems

http://philo.swu.bg/biblioteka/Ferguson,%20Salter%20&%20Stallworthy,%20The%20Norton%20Anthology%20of%20Poetry.64.pdf
>>
>>9183106
Thank you good anon, is there any book like an introduction to poetry
>>
File: Essential_poetry_guide.png (1MB, 1432x1542px) Image search: [Google]
Essential_poetry_guide.png
1MB, 1432x1542px
>>9183301
Honestly just read lots of poems and try to understand what you like.

Start with some of the following to see what you like:

>Philip Larkin
>William Carlos Williams
>Lord Byron
>W.B. Yeats
>Billy Collins
>W.H. Auden
>Sylvia Plath
>T.S. Elliot
>E.E. Cummings

You're bound to find a couple of poems you enjoy from at least one of these. Read some articles on Poetry Foundation too and just follow your interests from there. Pic related is also not a terrible guide but should be disregarded immediately once you find something that intrigues you.
>>
>>9183344
>no Rimbaud
>no Blake
>>
>>9183344
this chart would not be something I'd recommend to anyone, though your suggestions are decent

Unfortunately a lot of the same names get thrown around when talking about poetry, but here's some people I would try out OP:

Honestly, Shakespeare's plays are a great way to learn poetry as they have a plot which aids in reading interest but also help you learn iambic pentameter, a technique poets as diverse across time and style use such as Frost and Keats. Iambic meter closely resembles how English is used even in a non-poetic setting i.e. an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable is extremely common in the english language inherently.

I would try reading a play or two of his, probably one of the tragedies. Then check out the Romantics, Keats is the master. There are great poets amongst them but Keats is untouchable and all the rest strove to be as great.

Then move on up to the 20th century, my favorite for poetry. Yeats is my favorite of the 'greats', I don't really care for esoteric references in general, but Yeats uses them mystically and it almost feels like I understand what he's talking about even if I've never heard of the reference.

Frost is definitely a great poet: accessible but technically a master. Also if you live in the Northern United States or any multiseasonal area of the world that receives snow, this genuinely adds to appreciating Frost.

Definitely try out William Carlos Williams. This is where we start to abandon meter for more imagistic importance. Despite this, I almost think the poetry becomes more easy to understand, or converts to a level on which I find it to be more accessible to a contemporary audience. You cannot skip WCW.

As far as late 20th century/today, I wholeheartedly recommend Frank Stanford (my favorite poet), Larry Levis (my current favorite poet), and Susan Olds.
>>
>>9183730

these are all great recommendations but if after reading Shakespeare the OP finds himself more interested in poetry's conversational / human tone he should try going through the 17'th and 18'th century traditions of English poetry. these are all writers influenced by Shakespeare but all of them took to different aspects of the works. you get this wonderful variety of style and a perfectionism that, i think, tops even the romantic poets.

Andrew Marvell -
The Earl of Rochester -
Dryden
George Herbert
Alexander Pope -
Johnatan Swift -
John Donne
Thomas Gray
>>
>>9182974
>poeTREE
for real nigga
>>
>analyzing poetry
why.jpeg
>>
>>9184881
PS: if you know any other languages you'd be making a huge mistake to ignore its poetry .

English is an odd language and some work just doesn’t translate (there is no good Pushkin translation) and much of it requires to much sacrifice in the name of authenticity (Dante is a prime example) for it have the original effect.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.