[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should someone read philosophy? Where would one really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: dis nigga gorgeous.jpg (25KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
dis nigga gorgeous.jpg
25KB, 550x309px
Why should someone read philosophy?

Where would one really begin with philosophy? We all hear "Start with the Greeks" so which Greeks specifically and which works?

How would you decide where to go next? Do you need to agree with what the philosophers say to appreciate/understand their work?

Big dummy asking this, I just picked up Aristotle's Poetics (I hear it's a useful tool for writers) and Plato's Republic (I hear it's a major giggle, lads).
>>
>>9182815
> Why should someone read philosophy?

You shouldn't.
>>
>Why should someone read philosophy?
for the maymays.
>Where would one really begin with philosophy?
Start with the Greeks. Plato and Aristotle are pretty memeful, yea.
>How would you decide where to go next?
Procede with the Romans.
>Do you need to agree with what the philosophers say to appreciate/understand their work?
this question is so stupid that even you can self-criticize it, can't you.
>I hear it's a major giggle, lads.
yea it's all fun and giggles, friendo.
>>
>>9182815
>Why should someone read philosophy?
To live better.
>>
>>9182815
You're asking the wrong crowd, nobody on /lit/ reads. It's all a beta male ruse.
>>
>>9182871
this 2bh
>>
>>9182826
Literary this
>>
File: 5168515.jpg (172KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
5168515.jpg
172KB, 960x540px
This board is infested with illiterate Russians. Go ask somewhere.
>>
LURK MOAR. Or better yet just check out the fucking sticky and the lit wiki. Faggots like you should just be banned.
>a better thread was killed because of this selfish faggot of an OP
>>
>Aristotle's Poetics (I hear it's a useful tool for writers)
It actually doesn't help you in any way
>>
File: it is a mystery.jpg (223KB, 736x983px) Image search: [Google]
it is a mystery.jpg
223KB, 736x983px
>>
>>9182815
If you want an argument for why you should read philosophy, you can problem glean the reasons from reading the Maxims of Epicurus and the Enchiridion of Epictetus.

Epicurus: http://www.epicurus.net/en/principal.html

Epictetus: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Enchiridion

Essentially, philosophy = better living.

I personally like the PreSocratics, but it might be worthwhile just listening to the History of Philosophy without any Gaps podcast on the preSocrates and just deal with Plato directly.

If you want more Greeks, there is a great podcast: http://www.thehistoryofancientgreece.com/

I would suggest to people to read a bunch of Plato and see what ideas intrigue them the most. Then follow that line of philosophy historically.
>>
Why? Because that is what we want.
There is nothing to gain, only that what you want. And if that is a deeper understanding of what you want then go ahead with philosophy.
>>
File: 13932639276519.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
13932639276519.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
>>9182886
>>
>>9182914
You got a good old kekkering out of me :')
>>
>>9182815

i actually e-mailed noam chomsky about this recently and he told me to just plunge into whatever you're interested in. if you aren't interested in the greeks, don't start with the greeks man. start with some routledge companion to whatever topic you're interested in.. of course you won't be able to read kant's critique of pure reason or something super difficult without having the historical context of it, but more accessible authors you can read, albeit you will likely be misreading them.

forcing yourself to read something you're not interested in is fucking retarded and you will become interested in understanding the historical context of something if you start reading about it and are interested..not really the other way around.

for example, if you read some nietzsche and really enjoy it, you'd probably be a lot more motivated to read relevant works to see how they interact with what he's saying.. i'm pretty certain a lot of the people chanting the "start with the greeks" here don't really read philo very deeply...

philosophy is fun because it helps you understand things and is an attempt to solve problems in a rigorous manner.
>>
>>9182886
>tfw really want a russian beauty
>tfw don't want to be the guy that gets a russian mail order
>tfw don't want a girl who's just interested in citizenship

Do russian beauties even exist still?
>>
File: 54545464.jpg (30KB, 500x464px) Image search: [Google]
54545464.jpg
30KB, 500x464px
>>9182914
>using pekas
>>
>>9182930
>what are maymays?
youre a kind soul, anon.
>>
>>9182930
>>9182911
Thanks guys, you've been very helpful.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.