[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aren't novels necessarily realistic? The whole reason Don

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: James-Joyce.jpg (35KB, 468x500px) Image search: [Google]
James-Joyce.jpg
35KB, 468x500px
Aren't novels necessarily realistic? The whole reason Don Quixote is considered the first novel is that it turns away from the 'unrealistic' tropes of knightly romances and grounds itself in the actual daily life of the Don and those around him.

So how can you have a fantasy novel, or a science fiction novel? It's an oxymoron.
>>
>>9181313
Wat? no, that doesn't make sense from any angle
>>
>>9181313
Define novel
>>
>>9181313
>The whole reason Don Quixote is considered the first novel is that it turns away from the 'unrealistic' tropes of knightly romances and grounds itself in the actual daily life of the Don and those around him.
This is just wrong.
>>
>>9181313
Lol
>>
File: leopold bloom.png (30KB, 280x341px) Image search: [Google]
leopold bloom.png
30KB, 280x341px
>>9181313
/lit/ was a mistake
>>
Don Quijote is not considered the first novel.
>>
>>9181313
>guy goes literally insane and people fuck with him
>realistic
>daily lives
>>
>>9181313

You need to lay off the weed, my man.

Quixote is considered the first modern novel because of its format and deep considerations of character combined with an intricate plot. You read it differently than an epic poem because it's written differently than an epic poem, regardless of the content of that poem or novel.

> So how can you have a fantasy novel, or a science fiction novel? It's an oxymoron.

You are defining a term to fit your own argument here. If you define a novel to be "realistic" then of course unrealistic things are not novels. The problem is that no one other than you is using this definition. Any other person's definition of a novel will reference its fictionality, inclusion of characters and dialogue, and presence of a plot. Obviously none of these are "hard" boundaries and some authors like to push against them (Joyce himself, ironically, pushed against plot in Finnegans Wake) but nonetheless nobody else is defining a novel based on realism.
>>
>>9181358

I have heard it referred to as "the first modern novel." It's not necessarily the first novel but it is the first big example of what we would still consider a novel today.
>>
>>9181376
Genji, senpai.
>>
Dialogue in fiction is considered poor when it resembles real life dialogue and good when it does not. Does that answer your core question?
>>
>>9181366
Do you honestly think FW is a novel as opposed to a prose poem?
>>
>>9181581

I could see it as either, in all honesty. As I acknowledged in that last paragraph, if it's a novel it's definitely pushing the limits of that definition.
>>
>>9181587
that's fair. it's been a bit of a tipping point for me
it and Woolf's The Waves
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.