[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How true is this, /lit/? >Feelings of guilt are a direct

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

How true is this, /lit/?

>Feelings of guilt are a direct threat to one's sense that they are a moral person and, accordingly, research on guilt finds that this emotion elicits strategies aimed at alleviating guilt that do not always involve undoing one's actions. Furthermore, research shows that individuals respond to reminders of their group's moral culpability with feelings of outrage at third-party harm-doing. These findings suggest that feelings of moral outrage, long thought to be grounded solely in concerns with maintaining justice, may sometimes reflect efforts to maintain a moral identity.

This is there in Nietzsche, of course (what isn't?). But isn't this what drives irony-politics and so on? Selective outrage and a virtue-signaling arms race? I will readily to admit to having enjoyed, in a totally perverse way, watching Trump vs The Media and being torn up. But I know it's total voyeurism also, because I get to watch all of this on a screen and just be passively manipulated. It's better than a movie. More like WWE, except, you know, But This Time It's Real.

But it isn't. It's just that as a consumer of moral outrage, I get to sit back and have Muh Feels and just re-iterate whatever I hear. It's fun to be outraged, because you get your morality supplied for you as an ideological subject. You get to vicariously participate in struggles without ever really having to change your own behaviour or perceptions. Because who would want to do that?

Outrage is fun. Virtue-signaling is fun. Caring about politics is fun. Being ironic is fun. Blaming is fun. Fantasizing is fun. It's all fun. And fun is good, fun is a big deal. But this kind of fun feels pretty self-destructive, because I don't know how you get off of Mr. Postmodernity's Wild Ride. Outrage just seems to become magically self-propagating after a while, because it is fed by the counter-outrage it inevitably provokes.

But maybe "virtue" can be "fun" too. I don't really know how, but maybe. Maybe by collaborative steelmanning. Anyways. Enjoy the read gents.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/03/01/moral-outrage-is-self-serving
>>
>>9178775
There is only The Truth, The Good, individual and collective problems and solutions, and the best way at highlighting and discussing them to arrive at the best solutions.
>>
>>9178775
>moral-outrage-is-self-serving
This is entirely irrelevant. Either there is Correct reason for moral outrage or there is not. Either the cause of moral outrage is solved or not.

Maybe in the article a point is made that, moral outrage hinders the solution of the cause of the moral outrage, because the outrage acts like an energetic climax of sorts which than satisfies itself, and then the moral outrage is forgotten about? Or sustained? Is the main subject or point that these people do not know how to solve the problems they are outraged by?
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.