[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into plot? I feel like I can write pretty well and come

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1459366745209.jpg (103KB, 540x572px) Image search: [Google]
1459366745209.jpg
103KB, 540x572px
How do I into plot? I feel like I can write pretty well and come up with interesting characters, but when it comes to actually making things happen I'm at a loss.
>>
Plot is a spook. Just scratch together 200k words stream of consciousness and /lit/ will come all over itself.
>>
>>9175118
Plots come up with themselves when you write coherent and cohesive scenes
>>
>>9175118
story telling is a science. It follows a very obvious and identifiable structure. Please do not confuse structure with formula. We are not talking about a formula(where everything is the exact goddam same), we are talking about a paradigm(a general layout).

That's the key: Paradigm, a general layout. with a formula for a tshirt, it would be the same color and same size no matter what. But with the paradigm of a tshirt, all it states is what a tshirt is made of, what its parts are. A shirt and two sleeves.

Within the paradigm, you can have long shirts, short shirts, string shirts that you see in gay bars, all with different colors and various lengths of sleeves.

As such, same with a story. You hear pretentious fucks trying to "subvert the typical narritave" and whatever, but they're pretentious cucks who dont know what they're doing ,so they pretend their ignorance is in fact understanding, an understanding that has transcended. But it's not and they are total fags.

So what is the structure of a narrative? What is the PARADIGM of a plot?
>>
>>9175118
http://patricklickman.com/storycircle/

Basically:
>Main character is in comfort zone, but something's missing.
>Main character leaves comfort zone to seek out thing.
>Main character is weak in new environment, realizes his/her own shortcomings.
>Main character adapts to new environment, finds what's missing (and probably realizes it wasn't what he/she thought at first).
>Main character returns to comfort zone with new knowledge/skills/confidence.
>Fin.

There's other structures, but this tends to be the most satisfying. A lot of the "greats" in literature, cinema, etc. use the story circle effectively and superimpose 1-2 additional structures on top of it.
>>
>>9175394
>>9175446
wew, those were good shit, thank you anons
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.