[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to rant about this shit. I haven't read a book cover

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: houseofleaves.jpg (19KB, 330x435px) Image search: [Google]
houseofleaves.jpg
19KB, 330x435px
I need to rant about this shit. I haven't read a book cover to cover in 5 years and somehow I ended up reading this shit over 3 days.

I feel tricked. Halfway through I realized this book was more trouble than it was worth, but I trudged on reading all the fictitious footnotes and quotes from mock-critics in hopes that my patience would be rewarded by some mind blowing climax where everything gets tied together. But no, it just becomes more and more ridiculous and in the end the author blatantly destroys the "realism" of the universe that he so painstakingly created with all his bullshit footnotes.

I wanted a cool horror story about a transforming house with a maze and a minotaur. I got half a tedious, dry, ironically academic character study of a boring ass family and half a guy drone on about his sex life before he goes full schizo.
>>
>tfw too pleb for baby's first flashy Post-Modern novel
>>
>Look at me, I can't handle a multi-layered narrative because I'm an utter pleb - meh meh MEH!
Get off /lit/.
>>
>>9173702
I disliked this book. Blue font and erratic formatting doesn't exalt the underlying writing to anywhere near praiseworthiness in my view.

>inb4 "read ergodic literature pleb"
>>
Funny, I was actually about to ask if there were any books similar to this. I actually enjoyed the rambling parts about a variety of subjects and feel like I learned a lot. I loved the atmosphere as well but I don't necessarily need another in the horror genre, more interested in the same feel.
>>
>>9175045
The poetry of Robert Frost.
>>
>>9173702
>realism
>the Navidson Record was written by an old blind schizo
>expecting something real

You played yourself.
>>
>>9173702

desu this sounds like your fault. You didn't do the research and know about the academic satire and shit.
>>
>>9175126
Yeah, not quite sure what you thought was realistic here. Not only do the footnotes regularly reference non-existent works, Truant regularly mentions that the works don't exist.

You've got a book here about a schizophrenic editing and transcribing another book about a film that neither exists in our universe nor the schizophrenic's, which was ostensibly written by a blind man who couldn't have possibly seen the film.Plays pretty loosey goosey with reality right from the start. The narrator straight up tells you he is lying to you early on with the water heater bit, and is obviously in a mentally ill state.
>>
>>9175045
Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
Compact by Maurice Roche
The Unnameable by Samuel Beckett
>>
>>9175045
Borges
>>
>>9175164
Just ordered Pale Fire. That looks amazing, thanks. I've got your other recommendations in a list for when I'm done.

>>9175172
Best place to start, in your opinion?
>>
>>9175202
Not him, but as one who holds Borges as his favorite author, a copy of the collection "Labyrinths" is good. If you think you're willing to commit to all of his fictions (he only wrote short stories) you can get a complete collected fictions at Barnes and Nobles. My ex bought it for me a month before dumping me. Unfortunately, the translation is inferior. I suggest starting with Labyrinths.
>>
>>9175202
Also not him, but for Borges I honestly think it's best to just get the Penguin edition 'Collected Fictions' as it contains all his fiction works. It's about 500 pages, and is probably the most cost effective way to read Borges, as it is commensurately priced to any of his smaller collections, and you're likely to want to read all his work anyways once you've started. He has a very efficient style and his work is quite digestible.

Just get 'Collected Fictions' and read it chronologically, which I think is the best way to read Borges, as there are many latent/developing influences in his writing that are best appreciated when reading him chronologically, i.e. his incipient blindness, etc.

Also I second the recommendation of 'Pale Fire.' It is wonderful.
>>
>>9175163
the lovers and haters of this book either take it way too seriously and proclaim it's the most mindfucky work ever and changed their lives or scoff it off as a gimmicky meme, there's some truth to both but I hate these people.
>>
Ergodic "literature" is a meme. Just like concrete poetry or anything like that.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.