[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are so many smart people unable to think critically due to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Are so many smart people unable to think critically due to the degradation of language and therefore difficulty in forming complex thoughts?
>>
>>9170818
I'd argue that learning by rote for invisible qualification grades is a bigger factor.
>>
That would be double plus ungood.
>>
Think it has more to do with specialization and narcissism. Smart people find themselves proficient in one sub-field and hubristically think this must translate to proficiency in all fields, see smokedegrass tyson and big dick dawkins.
>>
>>9170818
>degradation of language
what's that even supposed to mean?
language is not degrading any more than at all the other times people thought it was.
>>
>>9171022
I really disagree. I really have no way to back it up but it seems to me as though people relate to their world through social facts and abstractions rather than through the beauty of the history of language, at least here in America. I guess you could say that I think language is losing its referential component and is rather formed through the simple sentences of media blurbs and online communication.
>>
>>9171070
>I really have no way to back it up
who'd have thought?

dumb people have always been dumb, this is not in any way a new development and has nothing to do with your proposed degradation of language. (social) media just multiplied the channels on which the idiocy of people can be witnessed.
>>
File: I CAN'T DO THIS ALL ON MY OWN.png (328KB, 500x518px) Image search: [Google]
I CAN'T DO THIS ALL ON MY OWN.png
328KB, 500x518px
>130 IQ
>Spend most of my intellectual life hopping from ideology to ideology

It's like your brain has an even bigger necessity to explain everything in singular causes.
>>
Communication has become more visual over time (IG, yotube, etc) but if you're longing for overwritten, academic prose filled with latinate words, I'm glad that trend is fading.
>>
File: 1475242070472.png (273KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1475242070472.png
273KB, 450x450px
>>9171133
>Not defusing the ideology bomb
>>
Learn German. I literally cannot express how much better my life has become after I learned the teutonic language of der übermensch. Not only have I savored the greatest prose ever produced by mankind in the writings of Nietzsche and Goethe (seriously, Joyce is fart-addict-amateur hour compared to these greats), I have also understood the philosophy of Leibniz, Kant, Fichte, Schelling, Hegel, Schleiermacher, Schopenhauer, Stirner, Nietzsche, Heidegger, Benjamin and Adorno much, much better. It really is laughable how little of these philosophers one can understand when read in translation. English and other languages simply are not suitable for the sort of cognitive depths explored in teutonic philosophy. Doing philosophy in english is like doing astronomy with a kaleidoscope, whereas doing philosophy in German is like doing astronomy with the Hubble telescope and the blessing of God. After learning German, my IQ increased by 38 points, I have had 8 papers published in academic journals, and my book of poetry is about currently at the center of a bidding war between 3 different publishing houses.
>>
>>9171226
Deine Mutter.
>>
>>9171226
Pasta?
>>
>>9170818
Smart people who are unable to think properly? Isn't that an oxymoron, op?
>>
>>9171226

High Quality Spaetzle
>>
>>9170818
Big words don't make genius. Faggot.
>>
>>9171226
nice copy you there
>>
>>9170850
What country are you from? Just curious.
I'm an Humanities teacher in Australia and the entire pedagogy in History and English has been self-directed and constructivist for the last 15-20 years.
>>
>>9172179
i see your reluctant rhythm and raise you the law of ruin
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.