[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best major for someone who wants to eventually become

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1462472390545s.jpg (6KB, 187x250px) Image search: [Google]
1462472390545s.jpg
6KB, 187x250px
What is the best major for someone who wants to eventually become a fiction writer? I've heard a lot of bad things about literature/English programs, but I wanted to hear your thoughts. Would philosophy be a better option?

>inb4 the major doesn't matter
Okay, I get that writing is a self-taught craft, but if you had to choose the most optional major to complement this path, which would it be?
>>
>>9170765
>What is the best major for someone who wants to eventually become a fiction writer?

Nursing. That way when you fail at writing, you'll have a career instead of debt and a useless degree in who gives a fuck.
>>
>>9170765
Do whatever intrigues you most. As your aspiration doesn't require a degree, there's no wrong option here.
>>
Depends what you want to write about.
>>
Double major in English and something else that has decent job prospects.

I have English degree and have worked a bunch of different jobs, been well off, been poor. Honestly being poor has given me just as much material as having a bunch of disposable income.
>>
>>9170765
>I've heard a lot of bad things about literature/English programs, but I wanted to hear your thoughts. Would philosophy be a better option?

I majored in English and have no qualms, but the quality of any degree in the humanities probably depends highly on the quality of the program you're in.

While I personally thing a lot of English departments have gone to shit (the status quo nowadays seems mostly to be a kind of Bourdieuian reductionism where were culture is nothing but a reflect of a particular social class or social standpoint -- and you see this reflected in a lot of pop criticism where works of art are evaluated as if they were nothing but political and moral propaganda), in my experience I was still exposed to a variety of theoretical and critical approaches, and in the end came out with a much better understanding of the current critical and cultural landscape.

Philosophy is also good (I double majored in both), but I doubt it will be of much use to a fiction writer unless the program has a heavy emphasis of continental philosophy (which is rare for an undergrad program in the Anglo world). Still either way philosophy is good for the noggin, teaches you how to think critically and such.
>>
>>9170765
Philosophy graduate here. A lot of people (myself included) go into philosophy expecting to find answers to some questions or, in your case, some wisdom or "deepness" that you will be able to confer to your writing. The reality is that you will leave the university with many, many more questions than when you entered. Now, I do not regret my major but I definetly entered it with flawed expectatives.

Ultimately, it's up to you. As it has been pointed out, being a writer does not require a degree, so you are ultimately free to pursue your real interests. I would choose translation myself, because languages make you at least semi employable, and translating great works of literature is the best school for writing. However, literary translation is usually a small part of the syllabus of translation degrees. I could also consider History of Art, but one useless degree is just enough for me for now.

But by far, the most important thing you can do is write and read as much as you possibly can.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.