[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a bad idea to listen to music while reading? If not, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1487142703864.png (130KB, 359x392px) Image search: [Google]
1487142703864.png
130KB, 359x392px
Is it a bad idea to listen to music while reading? If not, what music is good for reading?
>>
depends on the genre. Like orchestral for action/ fantasy, piano and violin for classics.
>>
I guess it sorts of works if it's low volume.
>>
>>9167774
I listen to music when I write, because I write in short bursts, I'll sit and think for 5 minutes and write for 30 seconds. When I'm reading it is at a fairly constant speed, and music just distracts me.
>>
>>9168450
Maybe the music also districts your writing which is why you can only so short bursts?
>>
>>9167774
I'm not sure about reading, but be very careful when you're writing. Depending on what you're listening to at the time, it can change the very tone of your writing.
>>
>>9167774
Depends how much of your attention the reading demands. As long I'm not attempting something too heavy, I find music can help make a pleasant time of it. And wine or whisky can make it perfect.

I usually listen to ambient electronica or classical. Led Zeppelin is probably a bad idea ...
>>
>>9167774
I usually listen to Beethoven.
>>
I personally listen to solo works, usually for Piano or Violin.
I have tinnitus from years of listening to music and going to gigs, so unfortunately it can be difficult to read in silence, so I usually go with some music on low enough volumes to not distract myself but also loud enough to block out the buzzing.

Some of my best reading sessions have been listening to Edvard Greigs solo piano works (I highly recommend Lyrische Stucke Op.38 for reading but also for general enjoyment, incredible piece)
There is also an incredibly large compilation of all of Greig's solo works by pianist Gerhard Oppitz, so if you can find that (it's on Spotify) I highly recommend reading to that.

If anyone would like some solo Violin music, Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin is a great set of works for the Violin.
>>
>>9168694
Did not notice my misspelling of Grieg, I type too fast sometimes.
>>
The actual question is: what do you get from music, if you're concentrated on your reading? Personally, after a reading I don't remember anything of the music I listened to
>>
Ambient is great, check out Brian Eno's ambient series, Lux, Reflection, Evening Star
Also the Disintegration Loops by Basinski and anything by Max Corbacho.

If you want something more upbeat, instrumental hip-hop can also work fine. Check out Oddisee (the odd tape), Pete Rock (petestrumentals 1/2) and MF Doom's special herbs series.
>>
Music rots the brain. It requires no thought listening to music.
>>
Slow, undemanding, meaningless, emotive ambient music like "stars of the lid"

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MaSi7Gut7xM
>>
>>9168756
>this_is_bait.jpg

However I wouldn't listen to anything demanding whilst reading
>>
>>9168756
>It requires no thought listening to music.
You might want to try constructing an actual sentence out of that. Clearly you've been listening to too much music.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.