[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best method of discovering the most worthwhile books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

but let's skip over scientific stuff)

So Google claims that there are around 130 million published books in existence, and let's suppose that only 0.01% of those are the best of the best. That would be around 13,000 books.

Now let's say on average that you read two books every week; you would then only be able to read around 8000 books in the span of 70 years.

So naturally the question becomes: what is the best way to test a book so that you don't waste your time reading a potentially unfulfilling book?

Should one only read a few passages from the book via a google search? Should one only read the first and last chapters?

And how does one separate the truly unique books from the ones that, while good, are merely one adaptation of a centuries-old archetype?

I'm of the opinion that writing is more beneficial than reading, although obviously if you don't read then your writing will likely not end up being fruitful for you. So then the question becomes: what is also the best way to expose one's self to the most unique writing styles?

I wish there was some sort of online database categorizing books by their writing styles, or what they uniquely offer that others don't. Goodreads is still outdated in this regard.
>>
Please stop depressing me anon, I've already stopped reading any novels to read more philosophy and political theory.
>>
>>9166468
That's tough as those are some of the most dense genres.
>>
>>9166453
Getting a list of potential books and asking on decent forums would be a good start. Someone has to have read it to find out if it's shit, and you may be able to find one
>>
>>9166652
The only problem is, how can I be sure the people I'm asking would know more about the intent of a book than I myself would know had I read it?

I'm thinking of just sifting through the most well known quotations from a book and just determining its quality that way, i.e. https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/543143-tropic-of-cancer

This book sounds too self-important and weak.
>>
>>9166693

i'm a grad student teaching at a sanctioned, accredited ivy league--i see a lot of my job as just directing people to the right/worthwhile material. some reading lists, even at the university level, get you no where; others can save you 50+ years of aimless meandering.

what exactly are you looking for? those who desire broad knowledge ultimately end up inarticulate oceanae 3-inches deep; the more concentrated, but open to amendment and expansion, your focus is, the more you will naturally navigate bodies of literature and find serviceable interconnections.

you know what machiavelli says the best way to achieve glory is? he turns to theseus: no short cuts, no lies, no trickery. you just go out and do something great, especially something devoted to the common good; the best way to do this is to pursue your own interests, rather than trying to imitate some (nonexistent) "ideal" western mind that, though harold bloom would like to maybe argue otherwise, has existed only as mythos.
>>
>>9166453
just read whatever you like man

>I'm of the opinion that writing is more beneficial than reading
pleb confirmed
>>
>>9168059
Thanks

I guess the best way is to give you my current favorite authors. My favorite book is the Stranger by Camus, I enjoy Hemingway's novels and short stories, I enjoy Anton Chekhov's plays and short stories, Dostoevsky's stuff, Gogol, Asimov's Foundation series

But I'm trying to branch out and see what the experimental side of literature has to offer, but I don't know exactly what I would like. Not Joyce's experimental style although I do enjoy his short stories.

Some interesting plotlines that I would enjoy:

~ alternate realities and how they relate or interact or simply differentiate from each other, butterfly effect and that kind of stuff

~ utopia and utopian ideals and their potential impact on the human psyche (stuff like Brave New World maybe)

Nietzsche's my fave philosopher and his will to power has been instrumental in shaping my personality; the "hero" archetype is interesting to me although I don't want cliche stuff (Homer, Goethe, Dante, Voltaire or novels like Don Quixote are good, but they haven't impacted me in the way that I'd like, for whatever reason).

I'm also not too fond of the introspective, spiritual stuff that seem to go nowhere, stuff like Murakami or Hesse. I want something that's dynamic, full of complex psychological turns and motivations.

Maybe my favorite movies would be helpful too: I like pretty much all of Lynch's output, Hitchcock (Vertigo), Welles's stuff, Vampire's Kiss, Punch Drunk Love, American Psycho, Dogville)
>>
>>9168059
So give me some books on psychology, more precise the field of forensic psychology, criminology, not profiling, more info the area of deviance.
>>
>>9168153
bump
>>
>>9168059
can you link some good reading lists
>>
http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
>>
>>9169622
you this guy: >>9168059
?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.