[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should I judge books on anything other than entertainment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1484912483825m.jpg (58KB, 1024x1011px) Image search: [Google]
1484912483825m.jpg
58KB, 1024x1011px
Why should I judge books on anything other than entertainment? Bear in mind that I'm a proud Stirnerite.

Why is it that "literary value" or whatever seems so much like marketing pushed by the academia-publishing-media industrial complex?

Why should I take the social critique / philosophy / "insights" of fiction books seriously AT ALL when the authors only present it in a vague and half assed way? It seems like dilletante pseudo intellectual posturing to me. Nabokov would agree. Dostoevsky obviously couldn't hack it on a wet and windy Thursday night in any worthwhile Psychology department.

Why, in the age of the internet, should I only take books seriously if they have the stamp of a publisher with a large enough revenue?

Why should I instantly dismiss all new artforms as not even being art? Why should I instantly dismiss new artforms as not being art due to them taking advantage of technology?

When "high brow" authors say they like "low brow" stuff is that them admitting that they don't even have the willpower to stay within their bubble of ascetic snobbery? We all know the bubble is made of bullshit but they don't even pretend that it's not these days.

Do you think that books have been a failure in terms of comedy?
>>
>>9166014
>proud Stirnerite
Died from laughter here. Writing out of purgatory.
>>
>>9166014
"REEEEEEEEE

I haven't read any book for over a week because I'm 100 pages in to Nicolas Nickleby and IT'S SO FUCKING CRUSHINGLY DULL AND LONG WINDED but I'm a UKer who hasn't read any Dickens books before and I don't want to be seen as a pleb due to this.

I'm also starting to abhor art in general. I hate that I have to read for cultural capital reasons. I don't even enjoy genre fiction but I still feel the pressure to read.

I just fucking hate this pretentious academia-publishing-media industrial complex induced spin that books are a part of. I wish people saw books like chocolate bars or YouTube videos. Used and forgotten about, not heralded as containing profound insights / wisdom / anything"

https://warosu.org/lit/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=academia-publishing-media+industrial+complex

>he feels a pressure to read in order to consolidate his ego
>he then pretends that he's a stirnerite who really didn't need approval, just enjoying himself and feeling smug
>he invents a conspiracy and accuses everyone else of being ingenuine because he feels they can enjoy literature and so have something he's too dumb to experience
>frogposters

/lit/ is not your psychotherapist Mr insecurity complex
>>
Holy shit OP just got fucked.
>>
>>9166014
Kill yourself.
>>
>>9166215
It's especially disheartening that OP dismisses Dostoevsky here of all authors. I bet he didn't even finish one of his novels, let alone read one for more than 100 pages. If Dostoevsky isn't a prime example of creating a diverse character cast of contemporaneaos ideologies, which lead to a coherent synthesis, then I don't know who it might be - probably Tolstoy, but I didn't read him, yet.
It isn't necessary to over-psychologize a character. It is a skill in itself to get the psychological profile across through nuances in dialog and narrational devices. This is why literary realism is stimulating to read; you get acquainted with behavioral roots of stereo- and even archetypes.

Before you disregard classic and world literature, I'd advise you to quarrel into it. You may benefit from it. Self-doubt can work wonders, and you don't get too comfortable with yourself, wich is a sin for existence itself.
>>
>>9166014
>Do you think that books have been a failure in terms of comedy
No, this thread is.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.