[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have determined to read the "The Bible" Which translation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: distorded smug frog.jpg (14KB, 247x223px) Image search: [Google]
distorded smug frog.jpg
14KB, 247x223px
I have determined to read the "The Bible"

Which translation should I read?
>>
>>9165675
For literary quality? KJV or Knox.

For accuracy/academic quality? Revised Standard Version 2nd Catholic Edition (esp. the Didache Bible from Ignatius Press).
>>
>>9165678
>>9165678
I'd also add that KJV has historic value.
>>
RSV is pure cancer. Read NASB for accuracy.
>>
>>9165721
What's so bad about the RSV?
>>
dude, just read the king james version

it's the classic version everyone reads, and by far the most enjoyable
>>
>>9165675
>He doesn't have a 200 year old Bible passed down through his family to read
Honest answer: King James
>>
TANAKH for OT

NRSV for NT
>>
>>9165789
It's extremely liberal in many places. There's nothing wrong with interpreting the Bible however you deem most appropriate, but changing the translation to reflect your views is retarded. RSV and particularly NRSV are absolute cancer in that regard.
>>
>>9165678
Seriously? KJV is crap. Plebs everywhere who don't understand biblical scholarship... Get the ESV study bible
>>
>>9166244
>>9165721
These responses are absolutely braindead. You really should read the KJV if you're interested in literary merit, since all English poetry that uses biblical imagery after Milton alludes to the language of KJV. Plus, it's not difficult to read at all, despite what small-minded people think.

Exception: The KJV translation of Job is a bit clunky, but it should still be read.
>>
>>9166269
this, read KJV to get hyped, if you wanna get all scholarly you can go with the fancy annotaded study bibles.
>>
>>9166269
>reading an inaccurate translation because muh literary value
Kill yourself, retard.
>>
>>9166290
This Anon, really... Are you reading the Bible to discover everyday English sayings or turns of phrase now largely extinct? That's the only reason to read KJV. There's no reason the King James should be treated as sacred, even for literature.
>>
>>9166302
>That's the only reason to read KJV
Yeah, it's not like the prose is literally God-tier or anything.
>>
learn biblical hebrew and koine greek you fucking pleb.
>>
>>9166375
>the most culturally important book of the western world
>reading bad translation for muh prose
Imbeciles like you should be chemically castrated.
>>
>>9165675
The JPS desu
>>
>>9165675
Read your family bible.
>>
>>9166947
What? Not Biblical Aramaic too???

Hello????
>>
vulgate
>>
>>9165841
>It's extremely liberal in many places.
What does that actually mean? Do you have any example verses I should compare between the two? What are those views that, according to you, it caters to?
>>
>>9165675
>I have determined to read the "The Bible"

That's not proper grammar in the slightest
Are none of you going to point this out
>>
>>9166302
>Are you reading the Bible to discover everyday English sayings or turns of phrase now largely extinct?
Not that anon, but yes.

That's really the killer for me. KJV is the only one which bothers actually translating it.
>>9166976
The KJV is the most culturally important book of the western world which can be read by Anglos.
>>
>>9168355
Bumpity bump, because I'm interested about this.
>>
>>9165675
dont be a protestant heretic, OP. read the ignatius bible or the jerusalem bible 1966 edition. if you know latin, achieve sainthood by reading the vulgate. if you know koine, achieve apostle status by reading the septuagint
>>
>>9165675
If you're not interested in any church in particular, go with the New Oxford Annotated Bible. It doesn't matter what a couple of 19yo kids from 4chan say, it's a great bible and arguably the best one for study. You'll learn a lot and you get the whole deal, not just a canonical selection. Also there's plenty of notes about words that are difficult to translate or the meaning just isn't clear. You're getting the most accurate translation you can get.
>>
>>9170292
This uses the NRSV translation that this anon was fuming against earlier >>9165841 I wanted to know what makes the NRSV (or the RSV if you can't stand "inclusive" language) so bad versus the NASB. Before I read the Bible for the first time I researched and compared all the main translations and reached the same conclusion as you: the Oxford Annotated is the best Bible currently for study. For me, at least. I will read the KJV at some point for the beauty and the importance of it to the English literary sphere but for the time being, this Bible is all I need. For some reason though I entirely missed the NASB when I was looking for my ideal Bible. I read about it later when someone else on this board (or maybe it wasn't someone else) argued in favour of it over the RSV. Now I'm afraid I might have missed something. Anyway, I'll do my own check looking at verses side by side.
>>
File: ted.jpg (33KB, 219x330px) Image search: [Google]
ted.jpg
33KB, 219x330px
>KJV
>>
>>9170104
potato nigger detected
>>
>>9170387
>this triggers the tea nigger
>>
>>9165675
Get a translation approved by the Catholic Church. Protestant Bibles like the KJV are garbage.
>>
File: irish evolution.jpg (151KB, 640x1446px) Image search: [Google]
irish evolution.jpg
151KB, 640x1446px
>all these proddies ITT
>"just get King James, its what everyone reads"
>>
At any rate, Lent, tomorrow, wd be a good time to start. Or that's what I thought 3 years ago when I did just. Read the JPS TANAKH and the KJV. Read the former for something new, it was interesting going back to front with the facing Hebrew\Aramaic; and read the latter (again) because I love it. Began in Winter, concluded in Spring-- this is a great time of year to begin. --the conclusion of the TANAKH [Ez, Neh, 1&2 Chron] cycles back to the beginning of Ezra the way, for instance, John Shade's poem Pale Fire cycles back from line 999 to line 1 in Nabokov's book. The image of an ever cycling wheel-- powerful finish.
>>
>>9170401
what? its catholics who consider the kjv to be "authorized" or whatever. prots are more likely to recommend the ESV or NASB
>>
File: 1470716019927.png (65KB, 1242x596px) Image search: [Google]
1470716019927.png
65KB, 1242x596px
>there are cucks on /lit/ who will recommend versions other than KJV
>>
>>9170370
Remember that posting is free an anonymous. As you can learn without recurring to /lit/ (and actually did), the whole point of the NRSV is to be as accurate and neutral as possible, and has wide support not only from academics but also church leaders. I guess anon thinks his opinions are worth something, even though they are probably not his but another anon's that he's just repeating without the slightest idea what he's talking about, as so often happens here.
>>
File: 1465016578993.jpg (299KB, 1519x972px) Image search: [Google]
1465016578993.jpg
299KB, 1519x972px
>>9170590
>its catholics who consider the kjv to be "authorized"
>>
Why is the NIV so popular? The ESV provides the same McDonald's-esque simplicity of prose without such grave errors in translation.
>>
>>9170741
Seems like whoever publishes it just gives it away for free, and evangelicals don't really care about things like "accurate translations"
>>
File: 1382837132564.gif (787KB, 200x164px) Image search: [Google]
1382837132564.gif
787KB, 200x164px
>>9170625
>as an
>canst not
>>
File: g9luxi.jpg (107KB, 650x633px) Image search: [Google]
g9luxi.jpg
107KB, 650x633px
As several other anons have said, it depends on your goals. If you're reading with a literary eye to improve your understanding of other works, get KJV. If you're reading to understand the religion accurately, get RSV, ESV or my personal favorite, NET.
KJV is based on the Latin Vulgate, which is some 400 years removed from the time of Christ and with all the inaccuracies that implies. It also contains some political bullshittery that King James demanded be written in to make him look good. The other versions listed are based on the Dead Sea Scrolls, within a few decades of Christ's crucifixion, and generally don't contain centuries-old monarchist propaganda.
>>
>>9171175
>it's real
>it's official
>it's also 20 dollars

>>9171139
the best part is that it's all correct
17th century literature is a wonderful thing
>>
Luke 2:14

(KJV)
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

(RSV)
“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom he is pleased!”
>>
>>9170590
oh anon i will pray for you
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.