[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best translation of Meditations? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

What's the best translation of Meditations? I don't mean "What is the best for pseudo-intellectual redditors who like flowery verbiage" I mean what is the best translation to get the real understanding of was Marcus Aurelius actually meant?
>>
>>9164050
>I don't mean "What is the best for pseudo-intellectual redditors who like flowery verbiage"
You probably shouldn't look for a translation, then, pseud.
>>
File: 3Sbt5WO.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
3Sbt5WO.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
read epictetus instead idk why even sucks marcus aurelius's flacid cock, epictetus was the truly the best stoic philosopher
>>
>>9164050
>I don't mean "What is the best for pseudo-intellectual redditors who like flowery verbiage" I mean what is the best translation to get the real understanding of was Marcus Aurelius actually meant?

Hays, it is verbatim what you are looking for.
>>
Gregory Hays is objectively the most accurate translation. Faithfully simple and direct to the nature of his original writings, but without dumbing it down or ham-fistedly modernizing it.
>>
Hays......?

Oxford
>So you were born for pleasure or, in general, for feeling, or for action?

Hackett
>Were you born for pleasure, to feel things, and not to do them?

Hays
>So you were born to feel "nice"? Instead of doing things and experiencing them?

Oxford
>'Yes, but one needs one's rest too.'—Quite so, but nature has set limits on that, as she has on eating and drinking, and yet you are going beyond those limits, and beyond what is sufficient. But when it comes to your actions, that is no longer the case, but there you stop short of what you could do.

Hackett
>'But one must also rest.' Certainly, I agree. Nature, however, has set a limit to rest, as it has to eating and drinking, and you go on resting beyond that limit, beyond what is sufficient. Not so with your actions, which remain well within the limits of what you could do.

Hays
>But we have to sleep sometime.
>Agreed. But nature set a limit on that—as it did on eating and drinking. And you're over the limit. You've had more than enough of that. But not of working. There you're still below your quota.
>>
>>9164050
lel /lit/ is a funny place. i dont get it why this little book is treated like it's one of the greatest philosophical works ever

surely Marc Aurel was a nice guy and a sympathetic emperor

but it's one of the most basic accumulation of aphorisms you could ever get

and it's not even good, there are way too many contradiction

OP, it's completely negligible which translation you read,
just move on to more consistent stuff like Epictetus once you're through
>>
>>9164200
And what would you recommend in its place, then?
>>
>>9164208
enchiridion, discurses
>>
>>9164216
>>9164208
and seneca oc
>>
Thoughts on Martin Hammond?
He did the edition in OP's pic.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.