[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Folly of God (1) I misunderstand you, you misunderstand me.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1488103848464.jpg (211KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1488103848464.jpg
211KB, 800x800px
Folly of God

(1)

I misunderstand you, you misunderstand me. This premise is the starting point of what I believe to be a very urgent yet hitherto ignored phenomenon, namely, the ever pervasive role of folly.
We are in this day and age surrounded by centers of power- institutions, bureaucracy, etc. A line of command, administrative hierarchies, not to mention our own chosen belief structure with some power outside of ourselves in charge of the regulation of events that occur- God, Nature, Science, etc. And these centers are governed very very tightly with laws and regulations that sustain their existence and so on
What i propose is that it is only natural for us as - among other things- subscribed consumers of participation to forget not only the role of Folly, but also the reason why we would rather not remember it.
>>
<2>

Its everywhere, this insistence in the command of a certain pattern or tempo or sequence or melody that the world follows. And it it is not only that- “No, there are no laws or orders, everything is always in flux and always changing”, No, this is still the kind of external center of power that we have been referring to except that now the regulation is deregulation. No, this is wrong. Its not just that there is no belief structure with some power outside of ourselves in charge of the regulation of events that occur, but its that its both that there is and that there isn’t, and these two paradoxes, in a very obvious way, belong to each other. That is to say that- there is a division of forces in a constant state of infestation upon the earth, among this division we need only categorize two. 1. The Gangs of Belief Structure 2. The Folly of God- and the latter is the main point of this, what we are talking about.
Lets make this very simple to understand. There are belief systems and they function for their followers as methods of understanding the world. These methods help people feel safe because they reassure that things are predictable, etc. And I propose that even a belief system that works counter clockwise, that is, that the belief system is precisely that nothing is predictable and everything is left to chance, etc. - this too is a belief system. So these are belief systems.
The Folly of God is a term I made up to designate one specific thing with a double feature. The one specific thing is Folly, as in mistake, hubris, error, etc. I thought you said coffee cream, you actually said coffee beans- now we have coffee cream that we don’t need and coffee beans that we do need- my mistake, mea culpa, lets forget about it. No! Lets not for this once. The double feature of Folly, as I believe to be true, is that, for one, it is so obviously everywhere all the time, and two, this all pervasiveness has something to do with God.
>>
:3:

Lets reiterate; I misunderstand you, I fuck up, I completely and absolutely mistook this for that, etc,. This essence of Folly is the reason for reason. We reason, attempt to think more clearly, as a means of making the right choice. You know like science works for us so that we could normalize the chaos. Okay, this is not hard to understand- of course. What is hard to understand, let alone hard to give ourselves the time and patience to look over, is folly. And i don’t claim we don’t do this- we do. We all do it but i question why it seems like its always against our will. On the internet people say things like- I was alone and I suddenly started think about all my mistakes- I hate when that happens. I am reminded of Lacan’s idea of knowledge as being paranoiac- we don’t want to know because it could be painful. This resistance to the truth i believe is a primal trait, and what i propose her is that this desire not to know is intrinsically tied up with all perverseness of Folly.
The Folly of God means this; there is order and disorder at the same time. As in God allows for establishments of order, and what it would seem like, the more the merrier- all the while the essence of nature remains as it is. They say we are coming closer and closer to the day where we can understand the essential laws of the physical universe. This day and our own seem to rise asymptotmatically. To be clear- I don’t believe this day will ever come precisely because of what I have been saying.
We don’t want to know how much of our day-to-day consists, not just of chance- i just happened to stumble upon this whatever- but of folly. I dare you now to consider how much of your own life events were turned out not merely by blind chance, but by sheer absolute stupidity. Consider this!
>>
-4-

Perhaps the term Folly of God is too much. I am reminded of Bernard Stiegler and his reading of Prometheus and Epimetheus. It will not be a detour to remember it: Prometheus was a Titan. Epimethus was his dumb brother. Zeus, or God, commanded that all beings be given traits. The job was given to Epimetheus, who was sort of a forgetful Titan. So he went about handing out traits or whatever- the hawk was given flight, the cat was given prowess, the cheetah was given speed, whatever etc. Epimetheus ran out and forgot to give one to Humans or something like that. So Prometheus goes and steals fir from Zeus, and this he gives to Humans. He was punished for this. But Epimethus fucks up again, and adds to the gift of fire the gift of fucking up. Like Epimetheus gave us a bit of God and a bit of himself. This is a neat story and you cans ee how it relates to what Im saying.
This all encompassing “fucking up” or “making mistakes” or just plain misunderstanding someone or doing the wrong thing is no small part of the world.
>>
File: IMG_2180.jpg (650KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2180.jpg
650KB, 3264x2448px
Any takers
>>
>>9162462
Clearly. But deep consideration would lead us where? What amazes me is your closet faith in human understanding.

Epimetheus was 'dumb' because he couldn't plan, see ahead-- and therefore more indicative of teh HC than his sharp brother who, proceeding as he does, in 'fits and starts,' is also indicative.

This is interesting, nonetheless. For some reason I'm thinking of Huizinga's book on play (Ludens) but I can't square it up, or even attempt to, here.
>>
>>9164035
Get it? Ultimately you're Prometheus appealing to Epimetheus. Because this deconstructs itself, it is a danger the which you need be aware in these here modern times..
>>
>>9164035
I made it to three then scrolled and bit and saw 4 and decided I could not persevere.

You should try and work these ideas into arguments in the shitty ass philosophy threads, or in better ones if applicable.
>>
I think this would be better if it was well written. Maybe you should try doing that. :)
>>
Why are you acting like this is some grand revelation?
>>
>>9164916
Grant the anon that initial heat of excitement. We've all been there-
>>
>>9164047
>But deep consideration would lead us where?

I believe that deep consideration of Folly, (hubris, mistakes, even stupidity), will change our attitude toward it. Folly is the black sheep of human traits and I find this problematic for many reasons. As stated above, Folly is everywhere, and much of our life is directed by its power. I'm not saying we should go to the opposite side and rejoice in Folly, but that we don't even question this ever pervasive phenomenon. The only book that comes close is Erasmus' "In Praise of Folly".

>>9164916

A lot of reasons. The moment you start to question popular attitude toward Folly, a treasure trove of possibilities develop. One in particular is the role this popular attitude toward Folly dictates not only how we interpret events, like world history, but more urgent and importantly, how we interpret our own life. In psychoanalysis the therapist accompanies the patient through his thoughts, and I am struck by how the patients "deadlocks" or "impasses" are chiefly his own Follies, and his attitude toward Folly make him more neurotic.

Conspiracy theorists and the like don't want to imagine a rudderless world, and adherents to the philosophy of Heraclitus, everything is changing- there are no rules, ignore what Zizek call The Reality of the Virtual.

What is crucial is the popular attitude we have with Folly, this all pervasive phenomenon. And I believe possessing this attitude is not a neutral thing. On the contrary, I think it is tied to nuerosis.
>>
File: IMG_2226.jpg (61KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2226.jpg
61KB, 850x400px
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.