[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Save me, /lit/.. You're my only hope. I don't understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: swtg.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
swtg.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
Save me, /lit/.. You're my only hope.

I don't understand the colour coding of this infograph. I want to start with the Greeks but, like, which one is the fucking start? Elaboration on all the colours would be appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>>9159463
start with the one that says "start here" you dope.
>>
>>9159470
But what the ding dong dang do all these other colours and divergences mean?
>>
>>9159477
a poster after my own heart, i say git got gammit
>>
>>9159463
green is history
blue is philosophy
i guess yellow is poems/plays
orange is supplementary material
>>
>>9159463
Start at the top, move down through the branches ignoring colors. There is no single right order to the Greeks, and frankly it's assumed that you will eventually revisit a lot of them anyway. The orderings that need to be preserved are

(1) reading mythology before Homer, Iliad before Odyssey

(2) Homer before Hesiod

(3) Herodotus before Thucydides

(4) the dramatists in order (Aeschylus to Sophocles to Euripides to Aristophanes)

(5) pre-Socratics before Plato

(6) Plato before Aristotle, and just generally reading the philosophers towards the end, if not absolutely at the end. Note that Aristotle is absolutely the least readable of any of these, and likely will never even be reached, let alone completed. I only know 3-4 people on lit who have read all of Plato, and haven't yet talked to anyone who's read more than 1-2 works by Aristotle.

Basically there are necessary sequences within the different genres (poetry, drama, history, philosophy), but there is no hard and fast sequence in which to arrange the genres, beyond reading Homer (and Hesiod, if you're going to read him) first, because Homer and Hesiod significantly predated and influenced everyone else on that list.
>>
>Americans need guides to use guides
Sublime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2j578jTBCY
>>
>>9159493
>>9159494
Thank you, thank you. Especially for one reply getting the point across plain and simple and another for being more comprehensive.

>>9159496
>Implying I'm American
I'm Russian.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.