[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My rereading has led me to believe that Catcher in the Rye is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2164.jpg (38KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2164.jpg
38KB, 259x194px
My rereading has led me to believe that Catcher in the Rye is a horror story. Like Lolita, in the mind of a maniac. Most review it like it is some Ode to Youth, or criticizing Holden for his petulance like he actually wrote the book or something. I do see that Salinger was channeling his frustrations through Holden but I don't think it's about teenage angst but about something much more frightening. With Mark Chapman and company in mind, and the fact that Salinger was there on D Day and for the freeing of Dachau camp, and for that line in the book about how when DB was in the war he felt like shooting everyone- Reading it again as a somewhat healthy/mature person, I get this overwhelming sense of dread, terror and forboding, like Holden is going to do something very terrible. I think it's to Salinger's merit that he created a character that comes to life, but this animation seems to distract readers from the underlying movement created by Salinger at ever turn. The universality of a young voice slowly losing grip with humanity is not only terrifying, but makes me realize that Salinger was, like Nabokov, prophesizing through fiction .
>>
>>9159183
cool
>>
>>9159183
holden did go through something terrible in that he had a nervous breakdown but that's the opposite of losing his humanity
>>
It's juat a teen going through a breakdown because he's lonely, a failure in life and his brother's dead.
>>
>>9159302
>Holden did go through...

HES A GODDAM FICTIONAL CHARACTER
>>
>>9160099
Is that from A Plebs Guide to Literature
>>
File: IMG_2186.jpg (15KB, 310x163px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2186.jpg
15KB, 310x163px
>Nothing is more boring or more unfair to the author than starting to read, say, Madame Bovary, with the preconceived notion that it is a denunciation of the bourgeoisie. We should always remember that the work of art is invariably the creation of a new world

http://www.en.utexas.edu/amlit/amlitprivate/scans/goodre.html
>>
>>9160456
A million times this
>>
>>9160456
this is exactly what sjw thought is. an echo chamber of only those kinds of analysis thrown around
>>
>>9160871
sjw?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.