[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ok, so I've being digging through the archive for hours

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: james joyce.jpg (267KB, 1202x1600px) Image search: [Google]
james joyce.jpg
267KB, 1202x1600px
ok, so I've being digging through the archive for hours and my questions remains unanswered: which version of the Ulysses should I buy? I've already read the Odyssey, Dubliners, A Portrait, Hamlet, and a great majority of the English canon. I also own Stuart Gilbert's guide.

All I think I know for sure is that Gabler is shit and that I should look for a 1961 edition, but I want to know what you think. Thanks in advance!
>>
>>9155336
I bought the Everyman's Library version, but I'm not an expert so take w/ pinch of salt

Remember man: it was written in English, so the edition is mostly an aesthetic choice, considering you don't have to worry about translation.
>>
>>9155341
I saw someone calling the Everyman's version "more definitive", so it's one of the ones I'm considering. Does it have annotations/explanations?
>>
>>9155359
No not really

You'd need to buy a separate book of annotations

But it does have Joyce's chapter schema, which is very interesting, though, like Eliot's notes on the Waste Land, possibly tongue-in-cheek.
>>
>I know for sure is that Gabler is shit
congrats on being wrong
>>
>>9155529
A lot of people were claiming he takes way more liberties than he should, isn't that the case?
>>
>>9155336
>Gabler is shit and that I should look for a 1961 edition
This is correct.
>>
>>9155341
There's actually a drastic difference between Gabler and the other editions. He claimed to fix thousands of errors. In reality, there were a few dozen errors and he made thousands of unwarranted changes. Joyce proofed the first edition, there's no reason to resort to the several incompatible manuscripts and mash them together.
>>
>>9155585
This. The 1961 edition is the DEFINITIVE edition.

Differences among the various prints: the original 1922 edition had a ton of typographical errors, so subsequent editions tried to fix them, but many, and especially Gabler's edition introduced a ton of new ones. Though the fact stands, each and every edition of Ulysses has it's own unique convolutions and some are much worse than others.

Source: https://infinitezombies.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/which-edition-of-ulysses-is-best/
>>
>>9156424
https://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Complete-Unabridged-corrected-reset/dp/B002L0JHXI ?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.