[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>age >location >book you're currently reading and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 283
Thread images: 45

File: 1487794022952.png (716KB, 717x536px) Image search: [Google]
1487794022952.png
716KB, 717x536px
>age
>location
>book you're currently reading and how do you like it
>>
>22
>Las Vegas
>Nicomachean Ethics

s'good. Real good.
>>
>23
>PNW
>quick IJ reread
up next- some Natsumi Soseki and Yukio Mishima
>>
>28
>Ontario, Canada
>Don Quixote - I love it.
>>
>
>
Not your business

>Satyricon
I'm enjoying some Roman degeneracy
>>
US
Magister Ludi/The Glass Bead Game

I get a lot of the allusions to other Hesse stuff but I still feel like I don't completely get the culture and mental state of German literature at that time. I'm not very far in but it's kinda boring so far.

Spring is starting and I'm depressed
>>
>20
>Spain
> Epic of Gilgamesh
>>
>>9151911
share your favorite passage?
>>
File: cute smiley pig.jpg (37KB, 610x610px) Image search: [Google]
cute smiley pig.jpg
37KB, 610x610px
>18
>Washington D.C.
>The Floating Opera

by far the funniest book I ever read. Beautifully written and insightful.
>>
>23
>Utah
>New Penguin Book of Scottish Short Stories.

I enjoy the variety of stories and repeated theme of Scottish myth throughout many of the stories. I do keep having to look up the Gaelic words though.
>>
>>9151900
>18
>New Orleans
>a confederacy of dunces
>>
>20
>Faroe Islands
>Francis Bacon - Essays
>>
>24
>Ohio
>Jurassic Park

Good so far. Can't wait until Hammond dies
>>
>>9151900
>25
>NYC
>Ulysses
I'm 200 pages in and enjoying it but I can definitely see why some people wouldn't like it
>>
>>9152107
>18 year old reading The Floating Opera
Don't take life so seriously
>>
>26
>Eastern Canada
>Stoner

Finally getting around to it after seeing it posted for years on here. Seems like the type of book academics who fantasize about living a provincial life would enjoy reading. I don't have a verdict yet, myself.
>>
>22
>South West Germany
>War and Peace

Halfway through. Liking it so far
>>
IV.3

(Context: proud here is an excellence--the balance between being unduly humble and vain)

>Now the proud man, since he deserves most, must be good in the highest degree; for the better man always deserves more, and the best man most. Therefore the truly proud man must be good. And greatness in every excellence would seem to be characteristic of a proud man. And it would be most unbecoming for a proud man to fly from danger, swinging his arms by his sides, or to wrong another; for to what end should he do disgraceful acts, he to whom nothing is great? If we consider him point by point we shall see the utter absurdity of a proud man who is not good. Nor, again, would he be worthy of honor if he were bad; for honor is the prize of excellence and it is to the good that it is rendered. Pride, then, seems to be a sort of crown of the excellences; for it makes them greater, and it is not found without them. Therefore it is hard to be truly proud; for it is impossible without nobility and goodness of character.

>It is chiefly with honors and dishonors, then, that the proud man is concerned; and at honors that are great and conferred by good men he will be moderately pleased, thinking that he is coming by his own or even less than his own; for there can be no honor that is worthy of perfect excellence, yet he will at any rate accept it since they have nothing greater to bestow on him; but honor from casual people and on trifling grounds he will utterly despise, since it is not this that he deserves, and dishonor too, since in his case it cannot be just.

It goes on, but that last sentence resonated with me, and the book is better read in its entirety.

A little context: Before this, he talks about excellences and finding balances (means) between contrary actions, and how the excellent and just don't always hit the target, but instead have minimal deficiency or toxicity. Anyway, he speaks of the two opposites of pride as being unduly humble and vain. Being proud at the right things, at the right times is good.
>>
File: 1487375634194.jpg (278KB, 1400x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1487375634194.jpg
278KB, 1400x1200px
>22
>DC
>Selected Stories by Nikolay Gogol

Just started and am looking forward to it.

>>9152141
>Faroe Islands

Neat.
>>
>19
>Ohio
>Post office by Bukowski
I really like it. Ive never read Bukowski (I'm just getting into literature idk if /lit/ likes him or not).
>>
File: Roskilde Domkirke.jpg (276KB, 800x585px) Image search: [Google]
Roskilde Domkirke.jpg
276KB, 800x585px
>18
>Roskilde, Denmark
>The Idiot
It's top notch
>>
>>9152339
dansk oversættelse?
>>
>22
>Nova Scotia
>White Noise

Peppered with entertaining and skillful segments throughout but it's getting tiring to read. IJ is of the same cohort in my mind, and it outranks Delillo's on both counts.
>>
>>9151900
>18
>Canberra
>One Hundred Years of Solitude
It's pretty fun
>>
>22
>Netherlands
>Vineland
I like it but I like it least of what I've read of Pynchon (lot 49 and inherent vice)
>>
Land-Bridge Undersea Bubble
Dragon Drive volume 1
>>
>>9152409
It's time to leave (this earth), grandpa.
>>
>>9152128
How? Don't you have alcohol to drink and hijinks to get into this weekend?
>>
>31
>Guatemala
>Occultic;Nine

This doesn't deserve to be so good. But boy is it.

If anyone decides to pick it up: make sure you read at least one chapter.
>>
>25
>Austria
>New York Trilogy
It's shit.
>>
>20
>Minnesota, USA
>The White Guard by Mikhail Bulgakov

It's pretty great for the most part. Reminds me a lot of And Quiet Flows the Don by Sholokov
>>
File: cardinali.jpg (158KB, 1280x751px) Image search: [Google]
cardinali.jpg
158KB, 1280x751px
>25
>Argentina
>Mason & Dixon

when pinecone rambles about shit it's kinda hard to know what the he's talking about, i thought my english was great until i read this fucking book
>>
> 26
> Ontario
> Things Hidden Since the Foundations of the World

Pretty mindblowing. Seems like Girard has an answer/explanation to every philosophy, literature, politics, anthropology, history, theology.

Basically, when autistic Hegelians jack off to how their guy is the culmination of western intellectual thought...it's actually Rene Girard.
>>
>>9151900
ATL GA
"Portrait of the artist as a young man"
Pure gold thus far
>>
>>9152536
Sounds very interesting. Which translation do you recommend?
>>
>26
>Las Vegas
>At Swim-Two-Birds

Hilarious and meta as fuck. I love it so far.

>>9151911
Hi

>>9152500
Harsh dude. I love that book. Especially City of Glass.
>>
>>9152558
I think there's only one translation in English. He's not stylistically difficult or obscure. He's dense but that's because he's commenting on everything.

He's the final boss of the humanities.
>>
>22
>Casablanca, Morocco
>Sapiens, by Yuval Noah Hariri (still haven't begun)
>>
>>9151900
>18
>Australia
>politics by aristotle
>very good
>>
okpi
>>
>>9152339
I finished that seven days ago. I hope you continue to enjoy it.
>18
>Arizona, USA
>The Brothers Karamazov
I read through the exposition today, then I went through a few chapters of the meeting with Zosima. After I had finished said exposition the pacing sped up so that it has been as much of a treat to read as was The Idiot. All of the biblical references have been soaring over my head, but that issue will soon become a thing of the past; I just ordered a Bible.
>>
>24
>AZ, US
>The Complete Works of HP Lovecraft

I have had only nightmares on days that I read it did not disappoint.
>>
>>9153040
Nice bait
>>
>>9151900
>19
>England
>The Road

It's alright, the two characters are a bit hollow considering they carry the whole thing but it fits the tone. The pacing is great too.
>>
>24
>Sweden
>Pale Fire

i like it, Nabokov has his usual slick as hell style and the book in general is very beautiful
>>
>>9152535
are you still enjoying it though? Can you say some thing/s you like about it?
>>
>29
>Minnesota

>Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake
Fantastic. Peake's descriptions of Gormenghast and its inhabitants are so intense they seem cartoonish, but somehow real. It reminds me of the movie The Triplets of Belleville: a spooky caricature.

>Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
Less good. It's a pretty run-of-the-mill fantasy with sub-par prose and boring as fuck main characters.
>>
>>9151900
>19
>somewhere near japan
>Ender's Game
I think I'm liking it, but I'm not sure why, really wish I understood my own preference better so I can find more books I like.
>>
>18
>Michigan
>Watchmen

It's pretty good. I think it deserves the acclaim that it's gotten over the years.
>>
Minneapolis
Red Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson

I'm feelin it
>>
>19
>Michigan
>Dune

Though the world's general mechanisms and lore somewhat confuses me, I find myself really intrigued.
>>
Mexico
I fondamenti dell'astrologia medica

It's hit or miss. I only bought it because i need it to practice my italian
>>
Long Island
Pere Goriot - Balzac

Honestly, it kinda suck
>>
Quebec
Notes from the Underground and The Gambler after that.
>>
>22
>Mexico City
>Athenaze (Chap. 7) & Hamlet (Arden)

Reading the introduction of that Hamlet's edition, it's quite good. I'm very hype to be reading Hamlet at last (it's not my first Shakespeare by any means, but I've been meaning to read since a long time ago).
>>
>>9153345
>near Japan
do you live on a boat?
>>
File: hamster.png (208KB, 302x355px) Image search: [Google]
hamster.png
208KB, 302x355px
>>9152164
>>
>>9154030
nah, I live in Taiwan, it has it benefits, but I kind of hate it, some of the older books that /lit/ recommends me are always so expensive and hard to find here, especially in english
>>
>>9154002
Astrology. The author is this journalist/reporter mostly talking about how often people with certain signs have certain health problems (like pescis being near-sighted).
>>
File: 1457377200261.png (90KB, 600x442px) Image search: [Google]
1457377200261.png
90KB, 600x442px
>19
>Illinois
>Meditations
Am enjoying it a lot its making me forget about my crippling depression.
>>
>22
>Oregon
>Against the Day

Loving it. Always underestimate just how fucking weird Pynchon gets, though.
>>
>>9151900
Melbourne
An Enquiry concerning Human Understanding
>>
>>9151900
>25
>Boston
>Within a Budding Grove

these hoes ain't loyal
>>
>18
>UK
>The Pyrates
>>
>>9154270
faggot
>>
>>9151900
Why has it taken this long for Squints to become a meme?
>>
>>9152500
Read some Bernhard.
>>
>>9152107
where do you go to college
>>
File: 71pDJkFtB0L.jpg (208KB, 646x1068px) Image search: [Google]
71pDJkFtB0L.jpg
208KB, 646x1068px
>>9151900
>26
>Brazil
>Fall of Hyperium

Awesome reading, I had so many mind fucks by now I can't even see straight anymore.
>>
>>9151900
>24
>Romania
>Rise and fall of the third Reich

I like it, history is my new interest.
>>
>18
>Tejas
>Breaking the Spell
I am only reading it because I have nothing else to read at the moment. It actually is a lot less edgy than I thought it would be and has some good points.
>>
>>9155788
That's because Daniel Dennet is an actual philosopher, unlike the other pop atheists
>>
>18
>miami
>the metamorphoses
It's so darn a very good read I can I am enjoying it
>>
>>9151900
>20
>brazil
>V. and Essentials of Business Processa and Informations Systems
>>
>19
>england
>the crying of lot 49

I don't really like it so far. It's quite one-note and predictable, in the way the story develops (webs of almost-coincidences building to some commentary on plots and meta-narratives) and his style of humour (even though his observations are, actually, often very funny)
>>
>>9155833
>Essentials of business processess and informations systems***

also, enjoying V., just finished the esther's nosejob chapter and it was painful imagining the surgery but it was good. and its normal to feel like they are "short stories" connected to each other right?

the other book is mostly for college, business + IT, its interesting if you need a bridge between business processess and the information systems used
>>
File: 1487233860042.jpg (1MB, 2160x2773px) Image search: [Google]
1487233860042.jpg
1MB, 2160x2773px
>>9151900
>18
>Lawrence, KS

>Journal of Albion Moonlight, Kenneth Patchen

It's convoluted, disjointed and written in a very surrealistic, dream-like, episodic sequence. It's very dark, deals a lot with death and the loss of innocence. But it's more of a celebration towards the darker parts of life. What should be grim and depressing turns into something beautiful half-way through.

His prose isn't good or bad. The content has to be taken in about three pages at a time. Neither its style or its content are very remarkable. But it's good, really good. It's just as random, weird, and short-lived as a dream, yet there's an undertone of order throughout the whole thing. It's like he wrote down every dream he ever had, and revised them just enough to string them together in a book. It's probably the most original book I've ever read.

Imagine a book with the Naked Lunch's chaos and the Tunnel's pessimism in the style of George Orwell where every page is as eccentric as the ending to Steppenwolf. That's the best i can explain it.
>>
File: 1487988732763.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1487988732763.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>9155780
>I like it, history is my new interest.

Even though I'm a fictionfag, I have to admit that history is far more interesting than fiction ever could be.
>>
>>9155831
>It's so darn a very good read I can I am enjoying it

Do you need me to call you an ambulance?
>>
>21
>MD
>Leviathan

Just moved past the chapters that build up Hobbes' rudimentary understanding of human psychology and into the more sociological content, which I think is where the real worth of the book is
>>
>>9156108
how is your location a medical doctorate?
>>
File: monalisa.jpg (115KB, 750x1126px) Image search: [Google]
monalisa.jpg
115KB, 750x1126px
>19
>Silicon Valley
>Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, and A Tale of Two Cities

I'm trying to catch up with Victorian-era literature since I have a class next quarter that focuses on it, and I'm enjoying it so far. Emily's style is refreshingly different compared to her sister's, but still familiar enough to understand why the three sisters were so famous. WH caught me off guard, though, since I thought Emily Brontë would write a lot like her sister, Charlotte.

PaP isn't exactly Victorian-era, but close enough. It's kind of boring, though. I'm not sure if it's because of Austen herself, or because I've read too much literature from around the time, but it's nothing but a bunch of rich white people complaining around hors d'Å“uvres.

Charles Dickens is Charles Dickens. I only like Victorian-era literature because of the prose anyway.
>>
>>9156150
>PaP isn't exactly Victorian-era, but close enough. It's kind of boring, though. I'm not sure if it's because of Austen herself, or because I've read too much literature from around the time, but it's nothing but a bunch of rich white people complaining around hors d'Å“uvres.

Why do women circlejerk over it so much? It's literally the only book I ever see spammed by women on Instagram.
>>
File: 1482091772051.jpg (109KB, 431x853px) Image search: [Google]
1482091772051.jpg
109KB, 431x853px
>>9156164
It's by a female author, about a predominantly female character pool. There's nothing else to it.

Also because it showed that women could square up with men in terms of literary capabilities.
>>
>20
>uk
>The Given Day, Dennis Lehane

My dad recommended it to me. I only read it during my commute since it hasn't become exciting enough to move in to my actual free time. It's very gritty with a good balance of humour and tragedy.
>>
>>9152481
silence welp

>>9152409
you're welcome here.
>>
>25
>JR by Gaddis
>it's good but it's longer than I'd hoped. I just have a lot to read right now
>>
>>9156134

I've transcended the need for physical locus and have made academia my home
>>
>>9151900
>26
>Canada
>Prester John
Loving it. Fascinating old novel from around 110 years ago or so.

>>9151978
I've gotta check that novel out sometime, canadanon

>>9152203
Eastern Canada is best Canada

>>9153050
Been meaning to check that one out as well. Seen the movie. I already kind of forget it but I think I thought it was pretty good.

>>9155780
Fuck yeah; history is badass. Been obsessed with it since I was a young teen.
>>
>>9156164
Because they're just like us.

We're insecure and compensate by presenting ourselves as having the 'bookish' trait associated with smart people and an upperclass lifestyle.

They don't like reading, don't even do it that often, but, when they do, they let as many people know as possible. PaP is one of those classic books everyone's heard of but few have read. It's name is associated with the types of books "intelligent" people read.

They were probably the smart kid in class, was praised by their teachers, had an edge over their peers, might even of been admitted into the gifted program, but it never got any better than that. They never developed outside that environment, never found something that made them interesting or special.

But they want approval. They want people to know that they have things that should be valued. And then they remember, probably subconsciously, the feeling they got when their teacher praised them for reading a book that was "hard".

Being proud is the quickest way past depression. If you can weld well, you take pride in it. No matter what happens, you're still a good welder. Same with being able to do math like that computer that beat Kasparov or having good looks or excellent people skills or hands that could keep up with Glenn Gould's. When you have something like that, it's a base on which to build your personality.

A lot of people don't have that. We were told we were smart as kids. The other kids struggled in English and Algebra, but we breezed through it. Which was nice. But we never had that insecurity or fear that drives young people to find something they're good at. We were good at being smart. Other people can play an instrument and tell a joke and climb a mountain, be we're smart.

That's why a lot of us here read books. We're smart, and we're to caught up in ourselves to notice that it doesn't matter how smart you or what you read if nobody would notice and nothing would change if you went away. We're also insecure. We constantly have to prove to others or ourselves that we're in that league of miserable, isolated geniuses that are only like us in narcissism and social isolation.

We want to be "smart". We do "smart" things. We think about life in a "smart" way. But being smart doesn't mean dick. We're all insufferable after an hour alone with us. We know we have very few friends because we're just that "smart". Everyone would read as much as we do if no one ever invited them out.

/lit/ makes fun of these instagram intellectuals because they resemble /lit/ so closely. This is all a facade. An we're playing to impress people and get laid.
>>
File: pizza-fold-hold.png (267KB, 660x352px) Image search: [Google]
pizza-fold-hold.png
267KB, 660x352px
>>9156316
Who hurt you?
>>
File: 1487809660001.jpg (39KB, 463x462px) Image search: [Google]
1487809660001.jpg
39KB, 463x462px
>>9156316
>>
>>9156324
It's not inaccurate.
>>
AZ. USA
The Education of Cyrus

>>9152671
Did you read The Color Out of Space yet? I really loved that one.
>>
>22
>PNW
>catch-22, honestly such a solid classic. Makes me laugh out loud every other chapter.
>>
>>9156316
You seem to have a lot of self hate. Somehow you've thought up a reason to hate yourself for reading, which is oddly impressive.

You might do some research into Borderline Personality Disorder.
>>
>>9156430
>Borderline Personality Disorder.
all sane humans have this
>>
>>9156470
I dated someone with BPD. Shit is fucked the Hell up.
>>
>>9156470
why do you say that?
>>
File: 1487960152003.jpg (93KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1487960152003.jpg
93KB, 1600x1600px
>>9156495
What's she like?
>>
>>9151900
>Data
>Mining
>Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
>>
>>9156470
>>9156524
BPD people are fucking insane. They need drama to feel validated, so they rationalize and twist everything around them to get everyone making noise and yelling. Because if people are making a big deal, that's how the BPD person knows they matter to them. It doesn't matter that the attention is negative, it's attention.
>>
>>9152491
When you wake up at noon with a hangover you still have like 4 hours to kill before you commence your hijinks once more
>>
>>9156539

the ressentiment and malicious rationalization of cruelty shielded under the noble pursuits of truth and goodness and human welfare intensifies
>>
>>9156539
>They need drama to feel validated

Not exactly. It's more of a constant underlying suspicion that the people around you don't really like you. Borderlines have a very fragile sense of themselves. They feel everything with an unusual intensity. It's been described like having skin of a burn patient.

Their always suspicious that they're secretly a terrible person. They constantly search for things to confirm this idea without realizing it. Misunderstanding a conversation they over heard, somebody looking at them a certain way, anything that could be twisted into a critique of themselves will be twisted. They'll think about it all day.

They're constantly fighting idea that they're a repulsive, broken person that those around them are only pretending to like them.

They feel and hated and alone. Borderlines who are more extraverted will do dangerous and outrageous things both to prove to themselves that people do care and that they won't be abandoned.

Quiet Borderlines are the ones that hang themselves after they were a little quieter than usual the last few days. With their introverted personality and constant self doubt, they tend to withdraw socially, convinced they're not liked and not sharing this fear with anyone. They alternate between hating themselves for being around people that don't like them, and hating themselves for not going out when they were invited.

Borderlines have the highest suicide rate than any other mental illness. Around 10% attempt it, and about 4% succeed.

They're the most miserable people on earth.
>>
Mythology by Edith Hamiltion
It's okay. But I would like to here more about the interpretation of the myths as well as their historical backgrounds.
>>
>21
>Finland
>Justine, Antifragile and Sex and Character

The philosophical musings in Justine are interesting. There's one part where murder is justified by eliminative materialism or something along those lines. Too early for me to say anything about Antifragile. Sex and Character is OK. It seems Weininger is arguing that some sort of universal empathy is the basis of genius.
>>
>24
>germany
>prolegomena
underwhelming. liked him better when he wrote on negers, religion and anthropology.
>>
>>9156673
Germany
>>
>19
>Israel
>2 books, 100 years of solitude and Icarus Fallen

100 days of solitude is fucking dope, 40 pages in and I think that I need a brain check.
Icarus Fallen seems interesting, although I've only read the first chapter, it already made my neurons fire quite a bit.
>>
>>9156706
>100 days of solitude is fucking dope, 40 pages in
lol good luck getting past page 150
>>
>>9156725
I think I'll make it, I stopped for Icarus Fallen.

But I enjoy the crazy writing that I've already seen, not used to it but I'll make it through.
>>
File: 1488044072001.jpg (13KB, 233x225px) Image search: [Google]
1488044072001.jpg
13KB, 233x225px
>>9156528
>>
>>9151941
b8
>>
>>9156657
They sound like pussies
>>
>20
>Brazil
>A clockwork orange

Its a translation, but its really well done and im liking it.
>>
>19
>US
>The Isolator

Not that far into it, but it's pretty good so far
>>
>>9154468
tell me more about yourself
>>
File: 1481176558182.jpg (110KB, 956x960px) Image search: [Google]
1481176558182.jpg
110KB, 956x960px
>24
>Lithuania
>Infinite Jest

It's hard to suspend the notion that I'm reading one of the most memed-about books I've known. Feels like i'm too self-conscious about it and that sucks. Nonetheless, I am 200 pages deep and some chapters were pretty good even though everything so far seems disconnected and scattered. Feels like a prep for something coherent to happen.
>>
>>9151900
>24
>International waters
>None HAHAHAHA
>>
>>9151900
>25
>Brazil
>Divine Comedy's Paradiso, Illuminatus Trilogy, Book of Disquiet
>>
>22
>Glasgow
>The Aeneid

It's like Homers epic's but better in every way.
>>
>>9157533
It won't make sense till literally the last page, probably best part of the book.
>>
>20
>Sweden
>The Brothers Karamazov, The Last Superstition, Hegel: A Very Short Introduction
>>
>>9157594
also, I uh, like them all so far
>>
>21
>Seattle, Washington
>Macbeth & Art and Thought of Heraclitus
I'm enjoying both. Shakespeare's fun, Heraclitus is out there, but he has cool things to say. Almost more interested in the translator/commentator's description of trying to interpret ancient texts than in the Fragments themselves.
>>
File: AelG424.jpg (17KB, 320x286px) Image search: [Google]
AelG424.jpg
17KB, 320x286px
>18
>iduly
>love in the time of cholera, The process of individuation by Carl Jung (not exact translated name)
desu it's nice but nothing like 100 years of solitude.
Jung is dope though i feel a real connection to the man and his ideas.Wish i could fucking find Aion or the red book though.
>>
>>9151900
>20
>the Netherlands
>Hamsun Knut's Victoria

not sure yet, but I liked hunger, so I'm sure his other work will be on par if not better than hunger.
>>
File: IMG_0312.jpg (128KB, 665x665px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0312.jpg
128KB, 665x665px
New York
"Kafka on the Shore" by Haruko Murakami
I like it. I haven't been so invested in a book since American Psycho. I don't know why you guys don't like Murakami; is it because he's too "easy"?
Murakami is cool, though.
>>
>25
>A river in Charleston, SC
>Recently started Don Quixote and I'm not too into it
>>
massachusetts
a portrait of the artist as a young man, about halfway in and i'm really moved by the catholicism, 8/10.
>>
File: i9jqLGaNQ1M.jpg (79KB, 492x604px) Image search: [Google]
i9jqLGaNQ1M.jpg
79KB, 492x604px
>>9151900

>25
>Russia
>W&P

Well, huh..Sometimes can't proceed, sometimes can't stop.
>>
>>9158201
I have some bad news...

nevermind I won't spoil it
>>
>>9158201
Interesting
Joyce was critical of Catholicism
>>
>>9157541
>I'm proud of being an idiot
>>
Australia
House of Debt: How They (and You) Caused the Great Recession, and How We Can Prevent It from Happening Again

About halfway through it and it's a succinct and clear explanation of what happened during the GFC. There's quite a bit of repetition of their points though for a book that's only 190 pages long
>>
>>9156749
why would you say this
>>
>>9156316
I-I w-wasn't prepared for your diary desu.
>>
Georgia, US
The Handmaid's Tale

I'm about halfway through, and I like it thus far. It does a great job of eliciting emotion through empathy, and I find it's telling of the story from a deeply feminine viewpoint very riveting honestly.
>>
>>9157476
Interesting. How effective is Nadsat in translation?

>18
>Malaysia
>Dubliners

I've read Araby as an isolated piece sometime before and quite enjoyed it, so this should be great. Really love Oxford World Classics's meticulous introduction and appendix; I know some people quite loathe them.
>>
>>9156316
The archetype of underachieving genius only applies to men (and a few hideous women)
It sounds like you're talking about yourself
>>
>>9158735
I'm talking about all us pathetic fucks
>>
Austin
Lanark: A Life in 4 Books

It was rec'd to me on /lit. It's okay so far. Not my normal cup of tea, but I went into it completely blind (had never heard of the book before, and don't know anything about how it's 'received') so curious to see how I come out of it.
>>
>25
>NZ
>The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton

Really well told noir story set in the New Zealand gold rush. The way the story drip feeds you information creates a great suspense.
>>
>>9155742
High Schooler
>>
>26
>Wellington, NZ
>The Letters of Van Gogh
Pretty much what I expected. I've read a reasonable amount of his letters before and have read a couple of really good biographies.
It unnerves me a little that in a thread with this many posters only three are older than me. Am I getting too old for /lit/?
>>
>>9159366
no, just that people usually give up on their dreams by your age
>>
>>9159366
i'm in my 40s
seattle
The Anatomy of Story by John Truby
>>
>>9151900
>24
>Winnipeg, MB, Canada
> Lolita; Love it but by the second half it's starting to feel pretty tedious.
>>
>21
>Victoria, Canada
>A World in Disarray, by Richard Haass

Just finished about 10 minutes ago, a great read. Haas is more conservative in economics than I usually lean, but World in Disarray is a great picture of how and why the world got where it is. If you like international relations, go for it.
>>
>27
>From FL but currently in Melbourne AUS
>Kant's lectures in metaphysics (cambridge)
Very good. If you like Leibniz and Wolff and have a thing for monads it's like the bible. Read Baumgarten's first though.
>>
File: IMG_20170117_161105~2.jpg (515KB, 1465x2551px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170117_161105~2.jpg
515KB, 1465x2551px
>age
>location
Guadalajara, México
Pale Fire. It's been amazing and I like the concept and execution of this type of novel, desu I've never read something like it before
>>
>21
>Ohio
>Fountainhead
Has a few interesting parts but a majority of it is just the same two points repeated over and over for 700 pages
>>
>30+
>Los Angeles
>King Krull

Rad tales of of a Barbarian king getting fooled by talking cats, and fighting off assassination attempts. I love it.
>>
Europe
Faidon
>>
File: 1487806075001.gif (1MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1487806075001.gif
1MB, 250x188px
>>
>>9159440
you forgot your trip and all caps, rei
>>
>>9154270
interesting, what made you pick it up?

>>9156150
i really enjoyed p&p but i can definitely see why others didn't. going to read wuthering heights at some point, a lot of people seem to hate it? but i think i'm going to enjoy it.

>>9158563
glad you're enjoying it! i read it this year and thought i wasn't going to but i was so pleasantly surprised.

>18
>uk
>animal farm

never got round to reading it til now. i'm liking it
>>
>21
>Austria
>The Brothers Karamasov

About 40% in, a little tedious at times, but i like the monologues.
>>
Where is OP pic from? I know I have seen the movie before but I can't figure out where its from.
>>
>21.
>Australia.
>Blood Meridian.

Just started, its pretty good. Its obviously a lot different from the Russian novels I have mostly read for the past 6 months.
>>
>>9151900
>58
>France
>Lincoln in the Bardo
First thing by this faggot that I've found readable. It's pretty unexpected and moving so far, about 25% through. May give his short work another try out of a newfound respect. But he's still a faggot.
>>
>25
>Paris, France
>JR
About 120 pages in. Not gonna lie, this book is kicking my ass and I'm having a pretty rough time. Haven't touched it in days.
>>
>23
>Poland
>The Man in the High Castle

So-so. Not very interested in protagonists stories, but alternate vision of history is worth it.
>>
>>9159645
Europe? I hear that's a big country.
>>
>>9160260
The Sandlot, my underaged friend.
>>
>>9160449
Haha, oh yeah, isn't that after the scene where that guy pretends to have drowned? Also, I'm not the guy you messaged.
>>
>>9151900
>19
>Atlanta
>The Western Canon
I like it so far. I want to get into reading more and more literary criticism.
>>
>>9160442
4u

>21
>Philadelphia
>Count of Monte Cristo
~350 pages in, totally engrossed by it. After finishing Don Quixote I was still craving more grand adventure, and this is really hitting the spot
>>
>20
>UK
>2666 by Roberto Bolaño

Half way through. It feels pretty clinical and removed at times, but that seems to strike a chord with me. 'The Part About The Crimes' isn't nearly as exhausting as people make it out to be at the moment. It's kinda comfy, but maybe that's a fucked up thing to say.
>>
>24
>Italy
>The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen
Currently at book 4, House of Chains.
>mfw this whole series
>>
>25
>Poland
>The Lost Steps

A bit too misogynistic at times for my taste, but it offers some genuinely interesting insights and the prose is beautiful.
>>
Argentina
Odyssey

start
with
the
G R E E K S
R
E
E
K
S
>>
File: IMG_0786.jpg (2MB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0786.jpg
2MB, 1350x900px
>>9151900
>50 (elders representing)
>Florida (where else?)
>Collected Stories by Raymond Carver
Read most of them before, but still love his writing
>>
>>9151900
>26
>Old Pueblo, Arizona
>On the Heights of Despair, and the Iliad

Really great pairing. Thoroughly enjoying myself.
>>
>19
>Brazil
>The Savage Detectives

Great portuguese translation, Cia. das Letras is yet to let me down.
>>
>>9151900
>25
>Romania
>Brothers Karamazov

I'm on Dostoevski binge since autumn and it has been the most comfiest winter ever.
>>
File: 266666666666666666666.jpg (65KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
266666666666666666666.jpg
65KB, 960x540px
>>9161652
good to know anon, I have pic related in my 'to-read' shelf
also have book of disquiet by cia das letras
>>
>20
>Berlin
>Phaedrus - Plato
I'm enjoying it, but I don't know if I should consider it a serious piece of Plato's philosophy or the equivalent of a shitpost.
>>
>>9151900

>19
>Bratislava
>Slaughterhouse-Five
>>
>>9161353
4me?
>>
>>9151900
>20
>Some Minnesota bordertown
>Was Inherent Vice, but it got vodka spilled all over it and is now ruined, haven't read in two weeks out of frustration

Anyone got any recomendations for what to read while I stop being such a hothead and order a new copy?
>>
>22
>Turkey
>Under the Volcano
all is gud so far
>>
>19
>New Jersey
>A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
It's pretty comfy desu
>>
File: 14881500084621634797628.jpg (511KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
14881500084621634797628.jpg
511KB, 1280x800px
>18
>Northern Ireland
>Homage to catalonia

Pretty good desu it has an atmosphere I like, plus the Spanish civil war has always interested me a lot so its a win-win
>>
>Sweden
>age 18
> crime and punishment

Interested fever dreams but i feel that i may be projecting to much of myself on to the main character
>>
>>9153069
it's very enjoyable, even the difficult parts

what i like about Pynchon is he makes me search stuff and i learn about a lot of different shit like stellar parallax, but also unimportant things like south african dishes

up until now it seems like the less weird book of his, it's a comfy adventure and i love the two main characters and their relation
>>
>age

>location
Florida

Waiting for Godot
I read about half of it last night, will finish it tonight. So far I am not really impressed. I don't hate it, but I think I find the absurdist rhetorical techniques boring.
>>
>>9154030
Kek, I had the same thought
>>
>>9156401
I highly recommend you read his books Picture This and Something Happened at some point. Both far better than Catch-22 (which I also like). I would alao recommend you take a pass on Closing Time, the sequel to Catch-22. It does have some very quality paasages, but its overall pretty shitty and feels like nothing more than an attempt by Heller to cash in on the popularity of Catch-22 late in life.
>>
>>9156657
Hm. My therapist has frequently referred to pic related during our sessions. He has never explicitly told me of any diagnosis and mentioned something about using it with patients who don't actually have BPD, but after reading this description of it (I'd been avoiding looking into what it is because I have enough problems and diagnoses as it is), you described me pretty perfectly.
>>
File: 9780898620344_p0_v1_s544x700.jpg (10KB, 192x247px) Image search: [Google]
9780898620344_p0_v1_s544x700.jpg
10KB, 192x247px
>>9162490
Forgot pic
>>
>27
>Brazil
>The Merchant of Venice
Just finished it. I was shocked by how intelligible it was (the glossary at the end helped) and by how 'cuck' and 'cuckoldry' are ubiquitous. The last couple of pages had me laughing out loud, specially due to the 'cuck' reference.
4chan is rotting my brain.
>>
>23
>Lisbon
>Complete Works, Plato
>>
File: 1488155577797.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1488155577797.gif
2MB, 320x240px
Using all the entries in this thread as my sample, I just calculated the average age of anons on /lit/:

>>
>18
>Seattle
>Steppenwolf, read Notes from Underground prior

Not sure if I'm imparting my characteristics into the prose or if Hesse is just really fucking good at describing me. 100 pages in & I like it so far.

Not sure if I'm just imparting some of my characteristics into the book or if Hesse is really fucking good at describing me. 100 pages in and I like it so far.
>>
File: 1488073093543.gif (673KB, 498x652px) Image search: [Google]
1488073093543.gif
673KB, 498x652px
>>9156706
>>
>>9151900
> present day
> present time
> AHAHAHAHA
>>
>18
>straya
>The Brothers Karamazov

fuck Dostoyevsky keeps going aye
>>
>32
>Colorado
>The Essential Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Pretty good. I think I prefer Thoreau though. He had a less esoteric approach to the same topics. While Emerson is more fun to read just due to his mastery of the English language, Thoreau got his point across in much plainer language.
>>
>21
>Victoria
>Nothing in the past3 years
HELP
>>
>>9163785
help yourself pleb
>>
>>9163795
How?
>>
>>9163809
read
>>
>>9163820
But I can't, or rather, I lack the will to spend a significant amount of my time reading.
What's something heavier than Catch 22 but lighter than Thus Spoke Zarathustra?
>>
>20
>Melbourne
>Overlord
It's trash and I love it.
>>
>>9163851
The Iliad
>>
>>9151900
>29
>Cape Town
>Moby Dick - Good so far
>>
>21
>Silicon Valley
>Peter Schafer - Jesus in the Talmud

It's good. Shows how subversive and evil the Jews really are. :)
>>
>>9163851
Alternatively, you could follow my path. I broke my dry spell by reading the Russians. The Idiot and Anna Karenina are good places to start. Or you could read some short stories. Maybe go for Kafka or Chekhov?
>>
>30
>Melbournes northern outer fringe wasteland Merdna because I brought bedbugs home from holiday and I am waiting for a new frame after throwing mine out and for the room and mattress to be steam cleaned on Thursday
>The Good Soldier, its alright
>>
>>9154283
>>9159420
>>9163855
>3 in Melbourne
Would you like to do a /lit/ meetup? We could go to the Federation Square book market or to some secondhand bookshops?
>>
File: 1413869327499.jpg (318KB, 1256x796px) Image search: [Google]
1413869327499.jpg
318KB, 1256x796px
>>9163907
>Actually wanting to meetup with people from a Taiwanese Fly-fishing Forum
>>
>21
>Brazil
>A Desumanização - Valter Hugo Mãe
>Perto do Coração Selvagem - Clarice Lispector
>>
File: 39330423.jpg (371KB, 666x1000px) Image search: [Google]
39330423.jpg
371KB, 666x1000px
>22
>Rural Australia
>Cannery row - Steinbeck
It's nice. Soothing that they live in terrible conditions but always seem to find the positives in it.

There was a mention of a man who was unlucky, he always earned slightly less than he needed to survive. Until he just withered, died, and blew away as dust in the wind. But it wasn't sad, wasn't happy, just matter of fact.
>>
>18.
>Australia.
>The Phenomenology of the Spirit.
>>
>18
>OK, USA
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
It's pretty fun. My second PKD novel--other being Transmigration of Timothy Archer
>>
>22
>Atlanta, USA
>Hear the Wind Sing, Haruki Murakami

Pretty good but I'm worried I started it too late to be hipster-chic
>>
>>9151900

>22
>Amsterdam
>Comac Mccarthy's All the Pretty Horses
>>
>25
>West coast, USA
>Fermat's Enigma by Simon Singh

Super comfy and surprisingly informative so far. I probably wouldn't read it again since I prefer hard proofs but it's something I'd recommend to the average person interested in Fermat's last theorum.

I also (finally) finished Le Temps retrouve yesterday and now feel like I've lost all direction and purpose in life.
>>
>18
>Texas
>The Brothers K, enjoying it
>>
>21
>Campbelltown, NSW
>The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain De Botton

up next is Coin Locker Babies
>>
>28
>cali
>Plath short stories

The prose excellent, wit ascerbic, sensibility neurotic-absurd.

We lost a good one to the oven.
>>
>>9164177
>first scene
>a woman sucking an infant's cock
wew lad
>>
>>9163917
This is /lit/ not /fa/
>>
>23
>Utah
between books right now, I think I'm going to try some Tolstoy.

>>9152123
What part of Utah
>>
>>9158704
Most nadsat words simply have the spelling changed to fit portuguese pronunciation, but the wordplays are translated to look like a russian word while still having the wordplay translated. So its pretty good.
>>
File: papiezok wtc.jpg (138KB, 416x720px) Image search: [Google]
papiezok wtc.jpg
138KB, 416x720px
>>9160382
>>9161526
po maturze chodzilismy na kremówki
>>
>28
>Indianapolis
Currently reading three books. Stephen King's The Stand, End Zone by DeLilo and Walden Two.

The Stand is... well, it's King. So it's way too long and has too many characters who serve no purpose and it's like watching a TV show. But it keeps me from getting burned out between more serious readings. Walden Two is written in that beautiful sparse prose that's typical of the time and I find it's blend of philosophy and weird science fiction delightful. DeLilo is, as ever, a master. The only problem I have with End Zone is that some sections are just descriptions of football games devoid of any deeper meaning or significance in a sort of coyly naive attempt to be sincere by a fledgling author. Everything else about the book slays me, though, particularly the section with the boys and their killing game.
>>
>>9164278
It's a good example of how retarded meetups are however.
>>
>>9164143
Why would you read Transmigration without first reading the first two in the series?
>>
File: 2a.png (785KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
2a.png
785KB, 1000x667px
northern michigan
myth of sisyphus
yeah it's good sure
hes a fun fella to read
pretty infectious sort of idea
might have ruined the existentialists for me since i havent read them yet haha!
well what can ya do, right?
peace and good will
>>
>18
>Southern VA
Just finished A Handful of Dust a few minutes ago. It was pretty good. It does seem a little preachy in how it casts such an ugly light on the shallow socialite lifestyle (easily related to modern western society), but it's a great story.
>>
>25
>Kelowna BC
>The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception

its dry but worth the effort
>>
File: 1488170433442.jpg (53KB, 540x624px) Image search: [Google]
1488170433442.jpg
53KB, 540x624px
26 female
new york
white noise and it's great :)
>>
>22
>Oklahoma
> the myth of Sisyphus
Not very much. Every other line is muh absurdism but I'm not that far in so hopefully it doesn't stay this boring.
>>
>22
>Philly
>Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man
Pretty good, just got into the last chapter and I'm really enjoying my boy Daedalus being a total shitlord
>>
>>9151900
>20
>NW UK
>Don Quixote
I like it a lot, especially the conversations between Sancho and Quixote. A lot of the references go right over my head though and I usually skip over the poetry.
>>
>>9166967
>tfw the third chapter unironically hits too close to hom
>>
>19
>Montreal
>Blood Meridian
things are getting so HEATED in this book that i barely hold on to it
>>
>>9165482
It was a gift and I did very little background research
>>
Chicago
Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen, it is pretty good, Bruce writes this autobiography like he writes songs. I will say over 500 pages is a little overdone, but I have enjoyed the first 1/2
>>
Finished this a few weeks ago, hauningly gorgeous
>>
>>9167024
Years in the Catholic Church made sure that that chapter hit too close to home
>>
>>9158262
Yeah, but halfway through the book the MC is still young and "indoctrinated", so the real critique hasn't totally started
>>
>>9167256
nice image
>>
File: 1488223587438.png (290KB, 498x341px) Image search: [Google]
1488223587438.png
290KB, 498x341px
racine wi.
freedom and capitalism

just makes me hate commies
>>
Arizona
The Bible

I don't know what God wishes us to know from these works. All I know for sure about God is he has a character of love and Jesus displayed that character to us...
I'm not that far, I'm reading about David and Goliath currently. I honestly find this book repulsive but necessary to my shelf.
>>
File: 1488241069682.png (153KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
1488241069682.png
153KB, 319x319px
>>9167472
>>
>21
>Alabama
>Spring Snow

Best love story I've ever read desu
>>
>>9151900
>18
>USA
>Collection of Ernest Hemmingway Short Stories
>>
>>9161728
DESU it provides a proper context for Symposium as narrative. So I think Phaedrus is worthwhile.
>>
>>9167472
It's doubtful that this impossibly cannot not be bait.
>>
>>9151900
>22
>Bumfuck nowhere, USA
>Fahrenheit 451

I'm enjoying it more now compared to when I first read it at 16.
>>
>>9151900
>26
>LA
>Some book about stoicism and short stories about depression on reddit

senpai
>>
>>9168128
Its shit.
>>
>>9167954
Why would you subject yourself to Hemingway?
>>
File: asian clapping.webm (833KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
asian clapping.webm
833KB, 1024x576px
>>9151900
>24, 25 tomorrow
>Philippines
>Christian Metz' Impersonal Enunciation, or the Place of Cinema
It just got translated into English last year, so I'm keeping up. Pretty important stuff so far in terms of film semiotics and cultural psychoanalysis.

I'm also using this book for my thesis. In fact, I should be working on it right now. I just wanted to see how you guys were doing.
>>
San Diego
A man in high castle
Im really liking this book and would definitely recommend.
>>
>>9151900

Book: Life And Death in Nanking. Good first person account to back up my historical studies of 1960's China. Really is a fantastical shithole the likes of which most kids in the West could not possibly imagine. Explains the general soullessness of the general population.
>>
22, Germany
Zauberberg by Mann, Notes from Underground by D-yevsky and also Maps of Memeing by Jordan Peterson but I'm not making any progress on the latter currently
I like Notes from Underground a lot, Zauberberg is tough but anything but bad, just very slow and detailed
>>
>>9162319
This happened to me too, dont try to resist it while youre reading, you should reflect on it later
>>
>>9167472
>I honestly find this book repulsive but necessary to my shelf.

Good on you for reading something you disagree with. Most people just seek out authors whose ideology they share in order to confirm their own beliefs.
>>
>>9168128
Fahrenheit 451 is a surprisingly mature read for being simplistic. It deals with the concept of books overall, superimposed on the rise and unfettered progression of hedonistic technology.
>>
>21
>Australia
>Philip K Dick - Valis
I dont understand was Dick a psychopath schizoid or just a pisshead Daedalus
>>
>20
>London
>Infinite Jest
400 pages in still going strong. i'm enjoying it, the characters are great, and it is v funny, but not much is happening plot-wise.
>>
File: 1434759578154.jpg (54KB, 539x530px) Image search: [Google]
1434759578154.jpg
54KB, 539x530px
>>9164290
SLC my man
>>
>18
>Oklahoma
>The Knight - pretty good, more enjoyable than I anticipated.
>>
>>9155904
psuedo-intellectual and you're barely legal lol
>>
File: CH0BHflWIAAFj3g.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
CH0BHflWIAAFj3g.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
The Dark Tower Book 4

Nearing the end and eagerly awaiting the inevitable showdown between Roland and Jonas. Pic related, I hope this dude gets cast as Jonas for the adaptation of Book 4, assuming Gunslinger is successful. Also can't wait for the /pol/ tears over Eddie and Susanhah's interracial relationship.
>>
>>9169864
Oh sorry
>19
>NYC
>>
>>9167279
I meant the hooker stuff
>>
>19
>Maryland
>the bible

really enjoying it, especially the gospels
>>
>22
>IL
>Tee Divine Comedy- I love how Dante continually BTFO's his political rivals as well as the church
>>
>>9166807
get off my baord bitch
>>
>>9152645
>19
>NYC
>Notes from the Underground

I read that a few books ago, it's great and if I can give any advise it's to notice emotions, miracles, and logic in the book.
>>
>18
>Australia
>collection of Kafka

just getting into reading more, and writing as well
>>
>27
>Androgyny: Toward a New Theory of Sexuality
>VA
>>
>20
>Minnesota
>Everything Flows by Vasily Grossman
About 1/4th of the way through and it's already one of the best things I've read this year
>>
>>9152530
Good choice friendo, I like it more than M&M
>>
>24
>chicago
>ij
i like most of it. characters and plotlines are hit or miss but everything is tied together well enough to warrant slogging through the rough bits. probably would've enjoyed it more had i read it younger.
>>
>>9151900
(kurd)istanbul
wuthering heights

meh. book is pretty boring, but when you assign symbolisms that probably weren't intended it, the process of those assignments can be fun. as you can guess i am only doing this for a class
>>
>22
>a Midwestern U.S. metropolitan area
>18th Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte, about to start Infinite Jest

18th Brumaire is a bit over my head because I'm not too familiar with the entirety of the French Revolutionary period, but it's interesting to see Marx's historical materialism in practice. I haven't started IJ yet, but it's the first physical book I've bought in a while so hopefully it's decent.
Thread posts: 283
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.