[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did language stultify humankind's ability to experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: WtZaZ-yY_JY.jpg (57KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
WtZaZ-yY_JY.jpg
57KB, 500x498px
Did language stultify humankind's ability to experience empathy? I feel like before the invention of language and literature the first humans understood each other better, through the wrinkles of the face, glare in the eyes, softness of a touch, on entirely unthinkable levels. And then came along the Word, and it was too convenient to refuse, and the sublime of physical, real, was forever abandoned.
>>
File: 1376344648750.gif (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1376344648750.gif
2MB, 320x320px
>>9150189

You are young and not as profound as you think you are. But keep reading all the same.
>>
Total opposite, actually. Language is the only reason we can avoid jumping to each other throats because of misunderstandings it also furthers social relationships and makes own richness a social richness (I'm a spic and can't remember the actual quote of Seaussure so the last point I amde is not just misquoted but also a bad translation).
Basic linguistics.
>>
I don't think so OP.

But I think language on the internet might have that effect.

When you don't have social cues and body language, as on the internet, people tend to have no filter, for better or worse.

This can mean that people are more honest, but it can also mean that they are more treacherous if you ask me.
>>
>>9150189
>feel like before the invention of language and literature the first humans understood each other better
how the fuck would you know?
>>
You should read Wittgenstein on pain, the beetle in the box, and private language

Seeing someone wincing, reading their facial expressions, etc., IS language
>>
>>9150359
To continue this, OP, I think what you're asking is difficult because you're using some very complicated words to describe it. Most people ITT are going to interpret what you mean differently.

I could see what you're saying not having much to do with my reply (>>9150359). Maybe you mean, "Did verbal communication eclipse nonverbal communication? Did your ability to fully experience or elaborate the latter atrophy, because spoken words are so seductive?"

That's a pretty neat and provocative question, and it obviously brings up all sorts of other questions, like: Can do anything about this now? Have we evolved away from it, for better or worse? Or can we increase our capacity to experience "sublime" or maybe ineffable experiences, that words can't quite get at?

Personally I'd be attracted to a philosophy of (verbal) language and semiotics that has intersubjectively stabilized and mediated symbols being tyrannical. Maybe part of "growing up" or "being sane" is learning to compress fuzzy and complex phenomenological experiences of the manifold into existing "correct" concepts, which are forced on you by being taught to you. Sapir has some neat stuff on certain metaphysics/ontologies being implicit in different linguistic structures.

For example what if a culture existed that didn't tend to speak of the experience of colours as Aristotelian singular essences, dividable and reducible to the "really existing" primary colours? What about a language that simply developed to classify more varied colour experiences (like Merleau-Ponty's "fuzzy-redness" being holistic and distinct from "shiny-redness," or Goethe's proto-phenomenology of colour)? If you are "trained" through "learning" the "correct" words - concepts - for colours in a Western society, you'd see colour totally differently. In fact OP you might be interested in phenomenology, privileging the phenomena of direct experience over language.
>>
File: Untitled.png (665KB, 765x549px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
665KB, 765x549px
Pretty intellectually fascinating post. But answer me this? Is not the sublime Word the key which opens the door of such discourse; whom may dare defy it? Brave man you are; such curiosities belong not to lower men but to the over men. Keep challenging others with these thoughts OP. Others may dismiss you; that's just because they are imbeciles; dogs chasing their own tails!!
>>
>>9150189
This must be what it's like to live with autism
>>
>>9150189
>Did language stultify humankind's ability to experience empathy?
No. The opposite makes more sense.
>>
>>9150205
Go back to kpop threads
>>
>>9150189
How's that screenplay coming along, faggot?

A minute spent here is a minute not having written one page per minute.
>>
>>9150189
Well, You can probably express feelsies better withour words and frankly I think it's inappriate to talk during a prodfound moment in a relationship. However, logical thought cannot be expressed through expressions and thought is more important than mere feelsies.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.