[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>implying joyce ever recovered from this https://www.the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: wut.png (519KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
519KB, 600x580px
>implying joyce ever recovered from this

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2016/09/21/who-the-hell-is-this-joyce/
>>
>>9149308
Great article.

I admit that I do not enjoy Ulysses at all, and have started it numerous times. I read first as prose, and it doesnt attract me. I read than as verse, to try to enjoy the aesthetics of language and treat the content in a cursory manner, and it repels me. I derive no pleasure of it, and simply do not understand what is so great about it. Finally I put it down for the 15th time and pick up a nice 19th century novel with crisp english, sobbing ladies, and dashing gentlemen.
>>
>>9149328
Well Middlemarch is a better novel, so I guess you didn't necessarily make the wrong choice
>>
>>9149334
tess of the d'urbervilles is a better novel.
>>
>>9149328
It's only enjoyable to people who have a similar background as Joyce. There's no way the average reader would understand all of the esoteric references in his story.
>>
>>9149339
nah, not even the best Hardy
>>
>>9149347
>nah, not even the best Hardy
exactly.
>>
>>9149356
still, Middlemarch is better
>>
>>9149308
He didn't recover from a polite letter expressing respect for his talent but disagreement with the direction and aims of his book, with the caveat that differing backgrounds may well be the source of said disagreement? He must have been a huge fucking pussy, then.
>>
>>9149344
It's not even the allusions. Some people who like the allusions in Dante can't stand Joyce's references.

It's more about Joyce's experimentation and transgressing into taboo (wanking, farts), which was shocking for the time, but no one today cares about it. The best of Joyce is absorbed by the internet zeitgeist. Joyce hasn't aged well, and is mostly a fashion accessory/intellectual trophy for people who pretend they've read him.
>>
>>9149328
you are fucked up idiot who can't read for shit

hur hur I approached it as this and then as this and such on

appraoch it like a person who's familiar with the topics which concerned the author and capable of parsing the language and you'll see all the fantastic connections Joyce is making between things and the way they he phrases the connection between the objects of his interest

I should kick your ass, you're lucky
>>
>>9149532
i read joyce too and am smart man who make good connections between things and the way he phrases the connection
>>
>>9149328
are you confusing the ulysses with the odyssey
>>
>>9149344
you mea people who are aware of European history and literature, how esoteric

He does have a lot of biographical shit in there but you can crib that if you want to
>>
>>9149537
Órale holmes

now this mang I like
>>
>>9149367
>Joyce hasn't aged well, and is mostly a fashion accessory/intellectual trophy for people who pretend they've read him.
lol
>>
>>9149367
oh you sad idiot man

internet zeitgeist as well, yours is the ass I really outta kick--you're fucking lucky you lump
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.