[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you use an e-reader? If so, which and how do you like it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

File: 41AanQY6xKL.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41AanQY6xKL.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
Do you use an e-reader? If so, which and how do you like it? I'm thinking of getting one.
>>
kindol perperwide and caliber
its good
>>
>>9147146
thees
>>
kindle paperwhite 3 is the only answer
sorry
>>
>>9147138
I use the Kindle Keyboard 3G. I like actual buttons rather than a touchscreen because I am a swimmer and I do a lot of reading at the pool, and the Keyboard still works if you put it in a Ziploc.

But I admit this is probably not a feature that most people want or need.
>>
>>9147138
Using Kindle Paperwhite for a week now.

The dictionary function gives the right definition of a word maybe 75% of the time. Often, it will give me dictionary entries for the last names of celebrities or historical figures.

Holding it is pretty awkward. There is no way to use it for a long time without significant discomfort in your hands, unless you have it on a table or some kind of stand.

If you have a Kindle library with hundreds of books, scrolling through it is a pain.

All of these complaints pail in comparison to the fact that you can carry thousands of books with you in a small device. And there won't be books taking up space all over your home.
>>
I have a kobo and I love it.

Theres only one problem, tho. Hope someone has a fix for this.
Navigating PDF is kind of a mess. Every time you change pages, you have to fix the zoom. EVERY TIME.
Does anyone knows how to fix this? Is there a tool to resize a batch of pdfs? Halp plz.
>>
Kindle Pappywhitey I got from mommy. I read a good amount of genre fiction trash so I do that on a kindle since the books would be worthless to own as paperbacks.
>>
>>9147138

Kobo Glo HD

It's amazing but books have to be converted from epub to kepub with Calibre or the formating is all fucked up
>>
Kobo aura one is the best ereader money can buy atm
>>
>>9147195
Keep the books in calibre, keep the ones you want to read on the Kindle (aka not hundreds)
>>
I have an old Kindle. The best 50€ I've ever spend. You can get almost any book for free online.
>>
>>9147461
Well why get the kindle at all in that case ? Why not just use your computer ?
>>
>>9147473
It's not as comfy. I can take the kindle everywhere I want and it doesn't have the background light that tires the eyes.
>>
>>9147473
Easier on your eyes, portable, designed exclusively for reading.
>>
>>9147230
Yeah, I did some research and it seems the best way is to crop PDF's beforehand.

I hope someone hack this shit one day and release a better firmware.
>>
Kindle Voyage. Screen is very good, loading your own ebook files is very easy, the touch areas that vibrate slightly on the side are very good. It's a 6 inch screen, in retrospect I should have got a screen at least 7 inch, it just feels too cramped. Also it's almost impossible to jailbreak and there's no way to add to the default fonts which all suck apart from Bookerly and Baskerville.
>>
>>9147507
name 1 good reason to get voyage over latest paperwhite
>>
>>9147195
>Holding it is pretty awkward. There is no way to use it for a long time without significant discomfort in your hands, unless you have it on a table or some kind of stand.
This is the only downside.
>>
>>9147550
The solution for this seems to be in getting a cover that folds like a book.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/kindle/merch/accessories/verso/Verso_Prologue_Red_Open_Sm_Lo.jpg
>>
>>9147138
I use a kindle and I've had it for maybe a year now? Two years? I love it. I haven't had any problems whatsoever and it's very intuitive to use.
But I'm a filthy casual, so there's that.

It does have a narrow spectrum of filetypes it supports, as far as I know only mobi and pdf and the amazon ones. But since you can convert files online for free, who really gives a shit.

One weird thing that nearly made me fucking lose it when I first got it is that you have to put the books in the documents file NOT the books file? Who knows why. Maybe it's just mine.

tl;dr I have a kindle and I enjoy it and haven't had any problems.
>>
>>9147138
E-readers are a scam.

Buy a 6-8" smarthphone and do more.
>>
>>9147592
You will kill your eyes this way.
>>
>>9147195
>Holding it is pretty awkward. There is no way to use it for a long time without significant discomfort in your hands,
Wait, are you serious? What's wrong with your hands?
>>
>>9147592
>> Buy a 6-8" smartphone, 10 batteries and spend all your time messaging your friends.
>>
>>9147230
>Is there a tool to resize a batch of pdfs? Halp plz.
I don't know. This happened to me about twice? I try not to get pdfs, because on my kindle it always shows "pdf" infront of the title? Fucking WHY. Anyway, I converted it to mobi and it worked fine with one, and completely fucked up the other one. But to be fair, the fucked up one was fucked up before (but I didn't have to zoom) and I was kind of just hoping that converting it would unfuck it. It didn't.
>>
>>9147604
The discomfort of holding a Kindle is a common complaint.
>>
>>9147138
Bookeen Cybook Muse

French quality
>>
>>9147633
That's news to me. I've never had this problem. My hands are heavier than a kindle. I hold it so the bottom corner is in the crease of my palm with my thumb on top, and let my pinky carry the weight. Is that... not how people hold it?
>>
>>9147138
Kobo Glo HD. It's... totally fine, though I'm not sure what features there are that meaningfully differentiate one ebook from another.

>>9147230
>Every time you change pages, you have to fix the zoom
Huh, I don't with mine. It remembers the zoom, although every now and then I accidentally tap it to 100% or something which is annoying because finding the right zoom takes a while.

>>9147318
I've never had this problem when I've used epubs. In fact I don't use Calibre at all, just drag and drop straight to the device. Weird.
>>
>>9147601
>I don't have a light source in my neet hikikomori cave.
You are already dead.

And absolutely fucking nigger tier retarded if you buy e-reader.
>>
File: 1471062407526.jpg (10KB, 234x250px) Image search: [Google]
1471062407526.jpg
10KB, 234x250px
>>9147577
fuck, that problem was easy to solve
>>
>>9147690
You just really don't get it. Please stop posting for a while.
>>
>>9147704
>Defending a blatant scam.
Not my money that's going down the train on single-use technical equipment for when you could buy a smartphone or even a tablet that could do all that and more.
>>
>>9147230
>Does anyone knows how to fix this? Is there a tool to resize a batch of pdfs? Halp plz.

Adobe acrobat or an open source tool called briss are both fine to crop margins and header/footers.
>>
>>9147722
You're retarded. The way a tablet displays text is not the same at all compared to how an e-reader displays text.
>>
>>9147722
Ive had my kindle touch for like 7 years, and it is probably the most used and resilient piece of technology i have ever owned. And reading on a screen is awful.
>>
File: 1487190434870.jpg (125KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1487190434870.jpg
125KB, 400x386px
>>9147739
im fucking dying of laughter please post more retarded shit mate
>>
>>9147691
>>9147577

https://imgur.com/a/ivhSB
>>
>>9147138
I'll sell you mine for $70, or any cool books you want to trade.
Kept it in a case for all it's time. This is a real deal.
>>
>>9147754
>"I know nothing about technology, I'm pretending to be laughing hysterically!"
Again, the technology used in e-readers is not the same used in tablets. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper

Besides that:
Tablets are heavier.
They have terrible battery life.
You can't use them in the sun.
Reading books on them will cause significant eye strain.
>>
>>9147520
I don't own a voyage but I would've loved those page turning buttons on the sides. Other than that, I don't regret at all buying the Paperwhite.
>>
>>9147808
>actually using "heavier" in an argument
my sides
>terrible batterylife
learn to close off shit you don't need or buy 6000mah xiaomi
>cant use them in the sun
fuck you pointing the screen at sun retard lmao
>will cause eyestrain
wow gonna need source on that as I've read for years and nothing has happened 2.0/2.0 sight
>>
>>9147754
>In contrast with previous studies, where no differences in terms of perceived visual fatigue (VFS) were found between LCD, E-ink and paper book [2] and LCD and E-ink [18], our results showed that participants felt visually fatigued only when reading on the LCD. Such a finding might be attributable to the longer reading sessions employed in our study (on average 73 min, SD 10 min), with respect to previous studies [11], [18].

>With regard to BPS (Blinks per second), experimental evidence indicated that reading on the LCD leads to a larger decrease in the number of blinks, with respect to the other supports. This result is in line with a large number of studies on CVS (for a review see [32]), where the use of backlit displays is usually associated with a decreased frequency of blinking and an increased rate of tear evaporation, each of which contributes to dry eyes. In fact, prolonged display exposure contributes to incomplete blinking provoking tear film instability [44], which is one of the main factors for visual fatigue on VDT [45].
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3873942/
>>
>>9147820
You're either dumb or trolling
>>
File: 1487239430548.png (9KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1487239430548.png
9KB, 600x600px
>>9147825
says the absolute giga retard buying e-readers
>>
>>9147820
>actually using "heavier" in an argument
>my sides
>"I'll just dismiss this because reasons. I can't imagine holding an iPad up for more than 3 minutes at a time would cause any strain."
You're a fucking moron.

>terrible batterylife
>learn to close off shit you don't need or buy 6000mah xiaomi
And any tablet would *still* have terrible battery life compared to a Kindle.

>cant use them in the sun
>fuck you pointing the screen at sun retard lmao
>"I'll just dismiss this because I know it's true."

>wow gonna need source on that as I've read for years and nothing has happened 2.0/2.0 sight
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0083676

>"Results from both objective (Blinks per second) and subjective (Visual Fatigue Scale) measures suggested that reading on the LCD (Kindle Fire HD) triggers higher visual fatigue with respect to both the E-ink (Kindle Paperwhite) and the paper book. The absence of differences between E-ink and paper suggests that, concerning visual fatigue, the E-ink is indeed very similar to the paper."
>>
I have a stupid question, what does the orange/green light mean at the bottom of the kindle paperwhite?
>>
>>9147845
Literally study says "other studies didn't find but this one did" actually blowing the fuck out of yourself.

If you have such limp wrists you cant hold a 220g phone you have issues. And as proven by you pointing the screen at sun, you being a fucking moron.

do you also carry mp3 player, a camera, a radio, laptop, and gsm phone with you

of course you do lmao
>>
>>9147846
Orange: battery not full
Green: battery full
>>
>>9147861
thats what I figured but my battery looks low and the light is green. I just charged it so is the bar misleading me?
>>
>>9147858
Do you just come here to pretend to be stupid? You're literally going "full retard".
>>
>>9147875
?

Nigga you the one that cant hold 200g, points screen towards sun, whines when he can't close processes/buy a phone with large battery.
>>
File: 2372.jpg (31KB, 598x448px) Image search: [Google]
2372.jpg
31KB, 598x448px
>>9147895
>>
>>9147870
>>9147861
I just got a low battery notification and the light is green
>>
>>9147895
Do you work for a smartphone company or something? Why are you so interested in deciding how we should spend money?

On another hand, how many cellphones have you owned in the last three years? Because I don't believe I'll ever have to buy another E-Reader.
>>
>>9147922
Sometimes it is ironically green
>>
Kindle 4 and Pocketbook 840. I think i've spoiled myself, I only go back to Kindle when it's more handy.

840 has clunky build, gayer screen, a tad too slow cpu, but that 8 inch screen and high resolution outweighs everything else. If buying now, I would probably go with 8 inch chinese androids or aura one, but I don't see changing soon.
>>
>>9147592
When you experience battery life of einker, you never go back.
>>
>>9147672
I hold like that, and i'm pretty sure I'm people
>>
>>9148076
yeah, but that leaves, like, a 20% room for error.
>>
I got a Paperwhite for christmas.

It's great.
>>
kobo go hd
it's great
>>
>>9147138
Don't get an e-reader. They're bottom tier.
>>
>>9148484
phew, I was just about to get one for the convenience of having multiple books on one portable device, but thanks to your informatively enlightening disclosure of them being "bottom tier" I won't be jumping into that cesspool. Thanks bud!
>>
>>9147230
Use KOReader, seriously
>>
Never used an e-reader. Is it actually good? Does it look like paper when you read on it?
>>
>>9148673
Yes, i was surprised by how crisp the text looks when i got my kindle pw.
>>
>>9148613
Never heard of it, researching it now. Thanks.

Is it easy to install?
>>
>>9148673
it's very nice
>>
>>9148715
>Is it easy to install?
Yes. I installed on my Aura One, you just have to follow https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki/Installation-on-Kobo-devices

This is the best showcase I could find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsJizVAMpDQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1128
>>
>>9148739
Thanks bro.
Last question.
Is it way better than the standard thing?
>>
>>9148748
>Is it way better than the standard thing?
It is. It's faster, it can crop the image to get rid of useless space most textbooks have, has reflow, landscape mode, and a bunch of other stuff.

I don't know about zoom because I don't really have the need to use it, koreader's crop tool is enough for me
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.