[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why haven't you read the most significant long poem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: dreamsongs.jpg (75KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dreamsongs.jpg
75KB, 665x1000px
So why haven't you read the most significant long poem from the latter half of the 20th century?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpimsgfNj7c

he's shit housed
>>
>>9141093
because poetry is for fags
>>
>>9141097
wow got me :^)
>>
>>9141112
Maybe I won't, but AIDS will
>>
So none of you fags have read him?
>>
>>9141093
2 patrish 4 /lit/ People here don't know shit about poetry post Pound or pre Pound or Pound.
>>
>>9141695
yeah true no one here even reads
>>
>>9141093
it's on my list desu
>>
>>9141093
because it's not the most significant poem from the latter half of the 20th century... I fucking hate how /lit/ both sucks at poetry and/or its knowledge of poetry is retardedly limited to white American poets, as if that were the only group of poets that ever existed. Fuck John Berryman and all his ilk! Last Men, pessimistic faggots the lot of them, hiding behind effete, academic sophistication. Their poetry does more to make upper middle class pseuds complacent than it does to incite anyone to a higher experience of life.

Fuck late 20th Century American poets of this kind, honestly. Fucking academic leeches.
>>
>>9142325
i'd hardly call berryman academic
>>
>>9142325
>poetry
>higher experience of life
>>
>>9142325
name a better one fag
>>
I tried to read The Dream Songs, but I didn't get more than 20 songs in. Seems like Berryman tried really hard to make his poems opaque and too personalized, which is then confusing that it's suggested that they be dissected for any real meaning. The dialects he voiced characters in were annoying to me as well. Maybe that's just me
>>
>>9142325
get back in the doghouse
>>
>>9141093
is he drunk as fuck?
>>
>>9143790
Darwish. To name just one. Look him up. The Arab poets were writing masterpieces of the long form while Berryman was using a persona to vent his 1st world anxieties.
>>
>>9142579
Are u kidding? Went to Columbia, edited the Columbia Review, studied in Europe on a Fellowship from Columbia, lectured at Harvard, etc. etc.
>>
>>9143833
lol yeah he's fucking hammered
>>
>>9142325
/lit/ sucks pretty much at everything.
>>
>>9143818
Sounds like it just isn't for you. I think he made them opaque, yes, but they're supposed to be dreeeeeam songs - they aren't going to be completely understood, that's the point.

Personally, I find Berryman captured a strange, unconscious plane of existence, I guess, in his poems. They don't necessarily make complete sense, but they are very evocative emotionally.

I also think Berryman's use of language is very interesting, and his voice to be somehow charming (maybe not so much the parts where Henry is in blackface).
>>
>>9145925
It would be impossible to know this 'Henry in blackface' meme without Berryman himself saying that is what he did
>>
>>9145936
Yeah what's your point
>>
>>9146477
An idea that is integral in framing Berryman's poetry in order to actually give it any semblance of meaning was necessary to be told to the audience by Berryman himself extraneous from the actual work. That is not art, it is a puzzle. Berryman is boring, there's a reason why his biggest champions are know-nothing musicians like Nick Cave
>>
>>9146551
That is not true - prior to Berryman speaking of the narrator of the songs it was generally believed Henry was Berryman's alter-ego (which he is).
Saying Henry assuming blackface as integral to any semblance of understanding is foolish; Henry is rarely in blackface. Your argument is backed up only by your own misunderstanding.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.