[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why there's a separation between high and low brown literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: images.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
4KB, 225x225px
Why there's a separation between high and low brown literature?

why there can't be a popular writer that writes low brown literature with the deepness of high fine art literature?

like the spielberg of books?

where this stupid separation in arts began that something deep can't be popular?
>>
brown
>>
I like the higher browns myself, the low browns just don't do it for mon colour palette.
>>
>>9139196
pynchon writes high and low brown literature
>>
>>9139196
>the [S]pielberg of books?

Borges the Spielberg of literature.
I don't know how "brown" you'd rate it.
>>
File: 1487547541288s.jpg (7KB, 232x250px) Image search: [Google]
1487547541288s.jpg
7KB, 232x250px
since highbrow and lowbrow are social constructions maybe you'd just have to ask the society which arbitrarily decides upon such things
>>
>>9139242
Sounds SPOOKY, have you been visited by Mr.SPOOK himself?
>>
File: amused mulder.jpg (4KB, 257x196px) Image search: [Google]
amused mulder.jpg
4KB, 257x196px
>>9139260
I am mr spook
and i am not amused
>>
File: Phonies begone.png (53KB, 231x254px) Image search: [Google]
Phonies begone.png
53KB, 231x254px
>>9139242
He clearly typed "high brown"
>>
>>9139223
You take that back!
>>
>>9139679
He wrote really nice and short entertainments. A few are weak, but most are really good. This is also the kind of thing Spielberg has done. It's a fair comparison. You don't have to like the films to see it.
>>
>>9139209
Couleur* you illiterate
>>
>>9139196
I get the sense that some graphic novels straddle this divide, but i dont read them because they're for subhuman plebs. Capiche?
>>
>>9139859
reee
>>
Once you read Pynchon you'll see that such distinction is pointless.
>>
You seem to be under the impression that "highbrow and lowbrow" is synonymous with "popular and obscure"
>>
The Spielberg of books....

Massively popular, enduring critical praise, able to straddle genres (to a certain extent).

I don't think that there is one, OP.

Reading just isn't "in" these days like movies are.

Maybe some of the Beats/Gonzo people mixed High Brow and Low Brow.

-Tropic of Cancer
-Fear and Loathing
-On the Road
-Electric Kool Aid Acid Test
>>
>>9139196
An argument could be made for some sf writers. Tolkien, Frank Herbert, Gene Wolfe, and others of course.

And before the 20th Century, there was a huge amount of writing that blurred the lines. Fiction, poetry, theatre, all had aspects targeted at the general population. Just because they aren't as approachable now, doesn't mean they aren't accomplishing what you're saying.
>>
>>9139859
Its "capische
>>
>>9139196
i personally enjoy joyce, he's one of the more brown writers. knausgaard has a very nice brown scene in his series.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.