[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Prologue of Bloom's "The Anxiety of Influence"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Urs Fischer.jpg (554KB, 800x1199px) Image search: [Google]
Urs Fischer.jpg
554KB, 800x1199px
The Prologue of Bloom's "The Anxiety of Influence" is a short poem titled "It Was A Great Marvel That They Were In The Father Without Knowing Him".

It sounds very biblical, but when I google it the results only throw a short story by David Foster Wallace.

Is the title a quotation from the Bible, or an invention of Bloom?
>>
It's Bloom's. Have you read his latest? His best since Agon. That men in their 80's like Bloom and Ashbery remain at the forefront of their occupations with such vitality is THE artistic scandal of our times. The volume I refer to is The Daemon Knows--
>>
>>9138864
Well Ashbery is amazing...gotta say from what I've read of his modern stuff (post-2000) I didn't really care for it. And I'm not someone who just idealizes earlier writings no matter what
>>
>>9138774
Can you post the poem? Whos poem is it? or thats what you are asking
>>
I found the source.

It's from the Gnostic writings, from the Gospel of Truth 22:27
>>
>>9138864
>Bloom is 86
>Ashbery is 89
>Pynchon is 79
>Roth is 83
>McCarthy is 83
>DeLillo is 80
>Munro is 85
damn...
>>
>>9138967
I'm in the throes of his selected later poems 'Notes from the Air' which spans '87-2005 which I couldn't stop reading over x-mas--- and it's a powerful volume top to toe. He has disappointed on occasion-- I felt completely indifferent, for instance, when undergoing the collection As We Know, which I believe is from the late seventies. But post 2005? Occasionally I'll see something in print but cannot recall being moved one way or the other so your observation is probably fair. I jumped the gun twice this post. Bummer.
>>
>>9139218
Ă—this thread, rather.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.