[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, what are some good books that cover Platonism, Aristotelianism,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1482896899139.jpg (33KB, 530x444px) Image search: [Google]
1482896899139.jpg
33KB, 530x444px
Hey /lit/, what are some good books that cover Platonism, Aristotelianism, Stoicism, Spinozism, Kierkegaardian Existentialism, Kantianism, and Cartesianism/Rationalism in general?
>>
>>9134965
leave
>>
>Platonism
Plato: Complete Works
>Aristotelianism
The Complete Works of Aristotle

I could go on but I guess you get the point you fucking pseud
>>
>>9134965
why are you trying to cover so much ground so quickly?

anyway read Russell's History of Western Philosophy
>>
>>9135060
I'm just going to be on a ship for eight months and I want to read some books on philosophy.

I don't frequent /lit/ at all, I just wanted some recommendations since this is the literature board.
>>
>>9135120
If I had that much time, I'd tackle something big, like the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire or the Story of Civilization or something like that. Durant isn't academic but he's cozy af and good for historical perspective. And he really loves the material.

Also, general books about philosophical schools are okay, but why not just read the authors themselves? The Dialogues, the Ethics (Aristotle's or Spinoza's), Kierkegaard...
>>
>>9135139
I bought The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, should check out the other though.

Thanks, I'll look into it man. Any suggestions for the schools though?
>>
>>9135152
I'm not all that great with a lot of the philosophical stuff you've asked for, but I can make some recommendations.

>Stoics
The Inner Citadel is good for Stoicism, although I will say, once again, that whenever possible you really should read the authors themselves if you want to understand them. This is always, always, always the right way. Especially when they are clear and simple, as Marcus Aurelius, Epicetus, and Seneca are.

>Platonism
>Aristotelianism
Martha Nussbaum wrote a good book called The Fragility of Goodness. Was very popular back when.

>Spinozism
Deleuze has a nice book on him called Practical Philosophy. It's fairly short and D really likes Spinoza, so it's enjoyable to read.

>Existentialism
Look for Walter Kaufmann. He has detractors, and he's mainly known for translations, but he's got some good and interesting stuff on existentialism. He's associated with Nietzsche but he actually writes somewhere that he prefers Kierkegaard. Maybe in Faith of a Heretic. He's on libgen.

>Kantianism
I am not the guy to ask to ask about this.

>Cartesianism/Rationalism
Or this.

For a one-volume history, Tarnas' Passion of the Western Mind is hard to beat. And Barzun's From Dawn to Decadence is also very good.

Hope that keeps you busy on the ship, anon.
>>
>>9135120
Where you going/ what're you doing? Spending 8 months on a ship with time to read sounds excellent, even if you're working your ass off.
>>
The original texts!~
>>
>>9135185
Thank you for the help, I greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>9135220
I'm going on a deployment and just wanted to read and study different philosophies, history, and economics.
>>
>>9135237
Just read the collected works of each author.

And don't say "-isms"
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.